Oxford RL overcame South Wales Scorpions 40-24 at Iffley Road to claim their fourth Kingstone Press Championship 1 victory of the season, moving them up to fifth in the table.
Captain Alex Thompson led the way with two of their six tries while Sean Morris, Callum Mulkeen, Jimmy Rowland and Matty Hadden also went over. Rowland landed four conversions and Tommy Connick two.
For the bottom-of-the-table visitors, Connor Farrar notched a hat-trick of tries and Mathew Wilcox also touched down, all four of them converted by Paul Emmanuelli.
South Wales looked the more impressive side early on, but Oxford came good in the end, putting last week’s defeat away to third-placed Oldham firmly behind them.
Scorpions got off to a flier with a great try from Wales Scarlet Farrar, but Thompson powered over for Oxford in reply.
Straight from the restart, the visitors added to their tally with Farrar’s second try. Oxford responded with two more tries of their own, Morris and Mulkeen crossing from close range to increase the home side’s lead.
The dry, sunny conditions meant Oxford were able to pass the ball around with freedom and more pressure ended with Rowland evading the attentions of two defenders to go over for Oxford’s fourth try.
Hadden got on the scoresheet when he picked up a loose ball inside the Scorpions ten-metre line and sprinted over to increase Oxford’s advantage.
Morris gave the Oxford fans more to cheer about when he broke clear before exchanging passes with Ryan McGold-rick to go over.
A South Wales comeback looked to be on the cards when Farrar bundled his way over for his third try and Matthew Wilcox also touched down for the visitors.
But it was Oxford who had the last word as Thompson collected the ball and ran 20 metres to score, sending the Scorpions home without a losing bonus point.
Oxford: Morris, Mulkeen, McGoldrick, Brooker, Briggs, Rowland, Connick, Davies, Thompson, Hadden, Baird, Hoggins, Rice. Subs: Clarke, Evans, Blaney, Sharratt. Referee: G Hewer.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw at Macclesfield Town
- Alex MacDonald hails Simon Eastwood for keeping Oxford United in FA Cup
- ANGLING: Carl Eland's second place puts Drennan Oxford closer to Winter League crown
- FUTSAL: Liam Palfreeman’s selection forEngland is dream come true
- SWIMMING: Jemma Lowe Olympian inspires City of Oxford’s youngsters
- TABLE TENNIS: Janet Brown causes Karl Bushell big fright in Oxford League
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Thame A close in on the Oxford League leaders
- BOXING: Mixed results for Berinsfield stars
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars looking for quick revenge on leaders
- Macclesfield Town 0, Oxford United 0