A brilliant century from Tim Morgan could not save Aston Rowant from a 15-run defeat at home to Slough in a high-scoring Home Counties Premier League Division 1 game of 587 runs.
Set a massive 302 for victory in the 50-over match, Rowant knew that they would have to get a good start in the powerplay.
Thanks to Morgan and Nick Ferraby they managed to set the game up with a stand of 146 for the first wicket, before the latter was run out by a direct hit from the boundary for 72.
Morgan continued to dominate the attack with a superb 108.
But with nine an over required from the last ten overs, it proved too much for the hosts to chase down despite a quickfire 27 from Adam Muttitt near the end.
They finished just short on 286-9.
Having inserted Slough on winning the toss, Rowant struggled to make the impact they wanted early on despite taking an early wicket.
The Slough batsmen found it easy to accumulate on an easy-paced pitch.
Without having to take risks, Waqas Hussain scored 86, Shaan Khan made 45 and former Pakistan under 19 international Shahid Yousuf hammered a rapid 71 off 58 balls.
In a flurry of wickets near the end of the innings, Wes Morrick and Ricky Hopwood, the eighth bowler used, both claimed four victims for Rowant.
But Slough still amassed 301 all in 49.4 overs.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Port Vale
- Port Vale 2 (Cicilia 54, Taylor pen 59), Oxford United 2 (Dunkley 11, Crowley 19)
- UPDATES - Port Vale v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Coventry proved frustrating but we will show our mettle today at Port Vale
- Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley and Tyler Roberts pushing for Oxford United starting roles at Port Vale
- Joe Rothwell wants reaction from Oxford United
- SNOOKER/BILLIARDS: Neil Craycraft stars in Abingdon Conservatives' whitewash
- MOTORSPORT: Williams seeking boost for US Grand prix
- SKATER HOCKEY: Adam Harris thrilled to be making his debut for GB
- ANGLING: Steve Harwood loses out by a ounce in Oxford Winter League