A brilliant century from Tim Morgan could not save Aston Rowant from a 15-run defeat at home to Slough in a high-scoring Home Counties Premier League Division 1 game of 587 runs.
Set a massive 302 for victory in the 50-over match, Rowant knew that they would have to get a good start in the powerplay.
Thanks to Morgan and Nick Ferraby they managed to set the game up with a stand of 146 for the first wicket, before the latter was run out by a direct hit from the boundary for 72.
Morgan continued to dominate the attack with a superb 108.
But with nine an over required from the last ten overs, it proved too much for the hosts to chase down despite a quickfire 27 from Adam Muttitt near the end.
They finished just short on 286-9.
Having inserted Slough on winning the toss, Rowant struggled to make the impact they wanted early on despite taking an early wicket.
The Slough batsmen found it easy to accumulate on an easy-paced pitch.
Without having to take risks, Waqas Hussain scored 86, Shaan Khan made 45 and former Pakistan under 19 international Shahid Yousuf hammered a rapid 71 off 58 balls.
In a flurry of wickets near the end of the innings, Wes Morrick and Ricky Hopwood, the eighth bowler used, both claimed four victims for Rowant.
But Slough still amassed 301 all in 49.4 overs.
Latest Sport news
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers
- Oxford United closing in on first new signing of January transfer window
- Banbury United forced to settle for draw at Weymouth as hosts hit back
- Oxford United to face Bradford City in last eight of Checkatrade Trophy
- FOOTBALL: Forget the table and just play, boss Mike Ford tells Banbury United
- RUGBY UNION: Late Basil Strang penalty earns Chinnor victory, but Henley Hawks are beaten