A brilliant century from Tim Morgan could not save Aston Rowant from a 15-run defeat at home to Slough in a high-scoring Home Counties Premier League Division 1 game of 587 runs.
Set a massive 302 for victory in the 50-over match, Rowant knew that they would have to get a good start in the powerplay.
Thanks to Morgan and Nick Ferraby they managed to set the game up with a stand of 146 for the first wicket, before the latter was run out by a direct hit from the boundary for 72.
Morgan continued to dominate the attack with a superb 108.
But with nine an over required from the last ten overs, it proved too much for the hosts to chase down despite a quickfire 27 from Adam Muttitt near the end.
They finished just short on 286-9.
Having inserted Slough on winning the toss, Rowant struggled to make the impact they wanted early on despite taking an early wicket.
The Slough batsmen found it easy to accumulate on an easy-paced pitch.
Without having to take risks, Waqas Hussain scored 86, Shaan Khan made 45 and former Pakistan under 19 international Shahid Yousuf hammered a rapid 71 off 58 balls.
In a flurry of wickets near the end of the innings, Wes Morrick and Ricky Hopwood, the eighth bowler used, both claimed four victims for Rowant.
But Slough still amassed 301 all in 49.4 overs.
Latest Sport news
- Charlton Athletic 0, Oxford United 1 (McAleny 11)
- UPDATES - Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must forget FA Cup and make most of game in hand at Charlton Athletic
- Michael Appleton: We must be 'clever' to solve Oxford United's selection jigsaw
- FOOTBALL: Steve Roberts strikes twice as Heyford Athletic beat Cropredy
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy and Max Palmer smash hat-tricks for Berinsfield
- RUGBY UNION: Second-half show guides leaders Chinnor to vital victory as Henley Hawks also triumph
- HOCKEY: Lucy Stewart’s super double secures comeback victory for Oxford Hawks
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins complete double over Banbury, while Witney and Grove also taste victory
- DARTS: Peachcroft make their class tell to sink Kings Arms in Oxford League