Oxford United slipped to a sixth successive defeat in the Women's Super League 2 when going down 2-0 to Millwall at the Den yesterday, writes Matthew Bruce.
The U’s, dominant for large periods of the game, were hit by goals from Cherelle Albert and Emma Plewa against the run of play.
Albert almost gave the hosts a perfect start, hitting the bar inside the first minute.
But the visitors began to dominate, with Laura Low seeing her shot blocked. Holly Pickett also went close for the U’s, but with half-time looming, Albert struck home from outside the area.
United continued to apply pressure after the break, with Lauren Allison hitting the post.
Kayleigh Hines shot over as the U’s pressed forward, but deep into injury time they were hit with another sucker punch.
Substitute Plewa spotted Hannah Cox off her line before lobbing the ball over the stranded keeper.
Oxford Utd: Cox, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Pickett (Nichol 77), King, Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane, Low (Lowder 77). Subs not used: Lambourne, Mobbs, Pinker.
Latest Sport news
- Toni Martinez excited by prospect of making Oxford United debut in FA Cup clash with Newcastle United
- Silence from Firoz Kassam as stadium talks continue
- Ryan Taylor: Wembley impossible to ignore for Oxford United in Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final
- DARTS: Oxfordshire close in on promotion race with big win over Gwent
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks are held to draw after Kyle Barnes's brace gives them flying start
- FOOTBALL: Ricky Johnson out as Banbury United take on play-off rivals Chesham United
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor return to the top of National League 2 South as Basil Strang stars in Redingensians win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury unbeaten run ends in Newbury defeat
- RUGBY UNION: Victory sees Bicester go top of Southern Counties North, but Gosford All Blacks are beaten
- RUGBY UNION: Littlemore and Wheatley claim derby spoils + VIDEO