Oxford United slipped to a sixth successive defeat in the Women's Super League 2 when going down 2-0 to Millwall at the Den yesterday, writes Matthew Bruce.
The U’s, dominant for large periods of the game, were hit by goals from Cherelle Albert and Emma Plewa against the run of play.
Albert almost gave the hosts a perfect start, hitting the bar inside the first minute.
But the visitors began to dominate, with Laura Low seeing her shot blocked. Holly Pickett also went close for the U’s, but with half-time looming, Albert struck home from outside the area.
United continued to apply pressure after the break, with Lauren Allison hitting the post.
Kayleigh Hines shot over as the U’s pressed forward, but deep into injury time they were hit with another sucker punch.
Substitute Plewa spotted Hannah Cox off her line before lobbing the ball over the stranded keeper.
Oxford Utd: Cox, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Pickett (Nichol 77), King, Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane, Low (Lowder 77). Subs not used: Lambourne, Mobbs, Pinker.
Latest Sport news
- Update: Former Oxford United teammates make glowing tribute to 'leader' Paul McCarthy
- Chris Maguire urges Oxford United to use agonising FA Cup defeat as play-off spur
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Oxford United head coach Michael Appleton disappointed by soft goals conceded at Middlesbrough
- John Lundstram humbled by massive Oxford United following at Riverside Stadium
- Aitor Karanka relieved after Middlesbrough edge past Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Lee Henderson heads Oxford City to victory over Hemel Hempstead Town
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town earn draw and Kidlington win, but North Leigh and Wantage Town suffer defeats
- FOOTBALL: George Nash earns Banbury United a point, but draw hampers play-off bid
- WEEKEND RESULTS: February 18-19