Oxford United slipped to a sixth successive defeat in the Women's Super League 2 when going down 2-0 to Millwall at the Den yesterday, writes Matthew Bruce.
The U’s, dominant for large periods of the game, were hit by goals from Cherelle Albert and Emma Plewa against the run of play.
Albert almost gave the hosts a perfect start, hitting the bar inside the first minute.
But the visitors began to dominate, with Laura Low seeing her shot blocked. Holly Pickett also went close for the U’s, but with half-time looming, Albert struck home from outside the area.
United continued to apply pressure after the break, with Lauren Allison hitting the post.
Kayleigh Hines shot over as the U’s pressed forward, but deep into injury time they were hit with another sucker punch.
Substitute Plewa spotted Hannah Cox off her line before lobbing the ball over the stranded keeper.
Oxford Utd: Cox, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Pickett (Nichol 77), King, Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane, Low (Lowder 77). Subs not used: Lambourne, Mobbs, Pinker.
Latest Sport news
- We will always have a go, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Chris Maguire hails Oxford United resilience after hitting back for draw
- Kane Hemmings hopes impact from bench can lead to Oxford United start
- FOOTBALL Oxford City lose their way on nightmare day as they slip into the bottom two
- WEEKEND RESULTS September 24 & 25
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United hit three-goal blitz to land another win
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Charlton Athletic
- Charlton boss Russell Slade unhappy with side over Oxford United equaliser
- MOTOR SPORT: Bradley Smith makes speedy recovery to line up in Japan