Oxford United slipped to a sixth successive defeat in the Women's Super League 2 when going down 2-0 to Millwall at the Den yesterday, writes Matthew Bruce.
The U’s, dominant for large periods of the game, were hit by goals from Cherelle Albert and Emma Plewa against the run of play.
Albert almost gave the hosts a perfect start, hitting the bar inside the first minute.
But the visitors began to dominate, with Laura Low seeing her shot blocked. Holly Pickett also went close for the U’s, but with half-time looming, Albert struck home from outside the area.
United continued to apply pressure after the break, with Lauren Allison hitting the post.
Kayleigh Hines shot over as the U’s pressed forward, but deep into injury time they were hit with another sucker punch.
Substitute Plewa spotted Hannah Cox off her line before lobbing the ball over the stranded keeper.
Oxford Utd: Cox, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Pickett (Nichol 77), King, Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane, Low (Lowder 77). Subs not used: Lambourne, Mobbs, Pinker.
Latest Sport news
- James Roberts nets in Oxford United's pre-season draw at Bath
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis eyes chance to extend GB's golden record at Rio Olympics
- FOOTBALL: Les Taylor backs Oxford United Women to learn from errors ahead of Everton clash
- BOXING: Bicester star Adi Burden impresses on professional debut with knockout victory
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce's century inspires Oxfordshire Over 60s to victory
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Valtteri Bottas looking forward to Finnish invasion at Hungarian Grand Prix
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Under 14s edged out in thriller
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford clean up at three-day gala
- ICE SKATING: Oxford skaters waltz off with medals at national championships