Oxford United slipped to a sixth successive defeat in the Women's Super League 2 when going down 2-0 to Millwall at the Den yesterday, writes Matthew Bruce.
The U’s, dominant for large periods of the game, were hit by goals from Cherelle Albert and Emma Plewa against the run of play.
Albert almost gave the hosts a perfect start, hitting the bar inside the first minute.
But the visitors began to dominate, with Laura Low seeing her shot blocked. Holly Pickett also went close for the U’s, but with half-time looming, Albert struck home from outside the area.
United continued to apply pressure after the break, with Lauren Allison hitting the post.
Kayleigh Hines shot over as the U’s pressed forward, but deep into injury time they were hit with another sucker punch.
Substitute Plewa spotted Hannah Cox off her line before lobbing the ball over the stranded keeper.
Oxford Utd: Cox, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Pickett (Nichol 77), King, Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane, Low (Lowder 77). Subs not used: Lambourne, Mobbs, Pinker.
Latest Sport news
- Chris Maguire loving life at Oxford United – but it's 'too early' for contract talks
- FOOTBALL: Mike Fondop returns to give Oxford City a big lift
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor sign London Welsh hooker Koree Britton to boost title hopes
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford's record run over as Cambridge edge thriller
- LIVE UPDATES: The Varsity Matches
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University beat Cambridge University in Women's Varsity Match
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford University fly half Basil Strang gets his kicks by playing at Twickenham
- Oxford United drawn at home to Scunthorpe United in Checkatrade Trophy