Eddie Pepperell is hoping his resurgence in form will continue this weekend to stay in contention for the Spanish Open title tomorrow.
The Frilford Heath golfer held the lead after a four-under-par 68 in the first round in Girona, and took advantage of an early tee time yesterday.
A round of 71 took the 23-year-old into a share of second spot, with Dutchman Joost Luiten, on five-under at the halfway mark, one shot behind Belgium’s Thomas Pieters.
Pepperell, who had missed five cuts in a row before finishing joint 57th at the China Open last month, is looking to stay in the mix for another two days.
He said: “The game’s been pretty good for two days and five under puts me in a really nice spot for the weekend.
“If I keep doing what I’m doing I hope to have a shot at it come Sunday afternoon.”
At one stage yesterday Pepperell looked set to dominate as he opened up from the tenth with birdie-birdie-eagle in his first three holes to briefly move five shots clear of the field.
His momentum was halted by a double bogey at the 14th and a further dropped shot at the 18th.
But he played the front nine in level par to stay at the sharp end.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United thought West Brom rising star Tyler Roberts would be out of their league – Fazackerley
- ROWING: Zoe de Toledo’s eyeing Olympic gold hunt in Rio
- CRICKET: Abingdon Vale teenager Ben Charlesworth to make Oxfordshire debut against Devon
- CRICKET: Banbury captain Lloyd Sabin delighted with Luke Ryan's form ahead of High Wycombe clash
- CRICKET: Skipper Charlie Brain rallies Shipton-under-Wychwood ahead of Horspath challenge
- ROWING: Duarte bags sculls success
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom