KARL Bushell lifted the Oxford Mail Cup after being crowned men’s singles champion in the Oxford & District Association’s Invitation Tournament at Kidlington Forum.
Bushell, who last captured the trophy five years ago, beat Pawel Jaskolski 12-10, 6-11, 11-9, 11-9 in the final.
He had a fine 3-1 win over Tony Gorman in the semi-finals, while Jaskolski saw off Chris Smith 3-0.
In the men’s doubles final, Bushell and Smith were beaten by top seeds Gorman and Jaskolski.
Gorman reversed his earlier defeat at the hands of Bushell in a scintillating display over four games in the veterans’ final.
And he completed a memorable day of fluent hitting by partnering Shunko Cook to victory in the mixed doubles.
Their final victims were Dawn Pearce and Jaskolski, who had scraped home against Sharon Curtis and Bushell in their semi-final.
Pearce retained her ladies’ title by remaining unbeaten in the round robin competition.
Cook came second on countback ahead of Curtis.
Cook took the restricted singles – an event run on a handicap basis, which excluded Division 1 players, apart from any with less than a 30 per cent average, beating Pascal Larousse in the final.
ROLL OF HONOUR
Restricted singles: 1 S Cook (Bicester), 2 P Larousse (Forum).
Men’s doubles (President’s Cup): 1 T Gorman (Bicester) & P Jaskolski (Holton), 2 K Bushell & C Smith (Forum).
Mixed doubles: 1 S Cook & T Gorman (Bicester), 2 D Pearce (Begbroke) & P Jaskolski (Holton).
Veterans’ singles: 1 T Gorman (Bicester), 2 K Bushell (Forum). Ladies’ singles (Chandler Cup): 1 D Pearce (Begbroke), 2 S Cook (Bicester).
Men’s singles (Oxford Mail Cup): 1 K Bushell (Forum), 2 P Jaskolski (Holton).
Team awards – Div 1: 1 Holton A, 2 Bicester A. Div 2: 1 Forum D, 2 Vikings B. Div 3: 1 Vikings D, 2 Forum H. Div 4: 1 Gladiators B, 2 Holton B. 2-a-side League: 1 Bicester G, 2 Forum K.
Leading players – Div 1 (Warner Cup): K Bushell (Forum). Div 2 (Eric Minns Cup): P Humphrey (Begbroke). Div 3 (Ted Arnold Shield): H Morgan (Vikings). Div 4 (Derek Sawyer Shield): B Dobson (Holton) & J McKenna-Jones (Forum). 2-a-side League: S Cook (Bicester).
Ken Ford (best junior newcomer): J McKenna-Jones. McKechnie/Hawkins (junior boy): S Price.
Hawkins/McKechnie (junior girl): V Coll.
Dave Hawkins (outstanding junior): R Chamdal.
Alan Hopwood (outstanding services): J Birkin.
Latest Sport news
- Christian Ribeiro signs two-year contract at 'outstanding' Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Abingdon Town quit the North Berks League
- DARTS: Pairs keep Democrats on track
- DARTS: Blackbird Leys Warriors recognised for Super League triumph
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- ATHLETICS: Lawrence Clarke and Nathan Douglas selected for European Championships
- Details announced for Oxford United's EFL Cup tie at Birmingham City
- CRICKET: Shaun Cross takes four as Shipton cruise into last 16 of Davidstow Village Cup
- ATHLETICS: Clarke books ticket to Rio Olympics and vows best is yet to come
- ATHLETICS: Douglas claims British triple jump title, but yet to seal place to Rio