Eddie Pepperell took advantage of an early start to back up an excellent first day yesterday with another under par round at the Spanish Open this morning.
The 23-year-old from Abingdon held the overnight lead and was still out in front by the end of his one-under-par second round, although his five-under-par mark could be surpassed later today.
Resuming at four-under-par this morning, Pepperell made a dream start from the tenth hole, opening up with birdie-birdie-eagle to briefly move five shots clear of the field.
His momentum was halted by a double bogey at the 14th and a further dropped shot at the 18th, but he played the front nine in level par to card a 71.
It put the Frilfiord Heath golfer one ahead of compatriots Richard Bland and Chris Wood, with the majority of the field yet to begin their second rounds.
A high finish on Sunday would be a timely boost for Pepperell, whose best finish so far this season is a tie for 45th place at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship in January.
Latest Sport news
- Toni Martinez excited by prospect of making Oxford United debut in FA Cup clash with Newcastle United
- Silence from Firoz Kassam as stadium talks continue
- Ryan Taylor: Wembley impossible to ignore for Oxford United in Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final
- DARTS: Oxfordshire close in on promotion race with big win over Gwent
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks are held to draw after Kyle Barnes's brace gives them flying start
- FOOTBALL: Ricky Johnson out as Banbury United take on play-off rivals Chesham United
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor return to the top of National League 2 South as Basil Strang stars in Redingensians win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury unbeaten run ends in Newbury defeat
- RUGBY UNION: Victory sees Bicester go top of Southern Counties North, but Gosford All Blacks are beaten
- RUGBY UNION: Littlemore and Wheatley claim derby spoils + VIDEO