Eddie Pepperell took advantage of an early start to back up an excellent first day yesterday with another under par round at the Spanish Open this morning.
The 23-year-old from Abingdon held the overnight lead and was still out in front by the end of his one-under-par second round, although his five-under-par mark could be surpassed later today.
Resuming at four-under-par this morning, Pepperell made a dream start from the tenth hole, opening up with birdie-birdie-eagle to briefly move five shots clear of the field.
His momentum was halted by a double bogey at the 14th and a further dropped shot at the 18th, but he played the front nine in level par to card a 71.
It put the Frilfiord Heath golfer one ahead of compatriots Richard Bland and Chris Wood, with the majority of the field yet to begin their second rounds.
A high finish on Sunday would be a timely boost for Pepperell, whose best finish so far this season is a tie for 45th place at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship in January.
Latest Sport news
- Josh Ruffels signs new contract at Oxford United
- CRICKET: Ex-Oxfordshire bowler Jack Brooks delighted to agree new deal with Yorkshire
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Debutant Evie Gane earns Oxford United a point
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh, Wantage Town and Didcot Town in action
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins climb out of relegation zone with battling victory, while Witney beat local rivals Grove
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Casey Canterbury's hat-trick puts Oxford RL though
- RUGBY UNION: George Jackson’s penalty completes Henley Hawks comeback victory
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University Greyhounds beat Bicester to reach Oxfordshire Cup final
- RUGBY UNION: Wheatley storm to victory and Littlemore make it fifteen wins in a row
- DARTS: Promotion-chasers Oxfordshire in key battle