Eddie Pepperell took advantage of an early start to back up an excellent first day yesterday with another under par round at the Spanish Open this morning.
The 23-year-old from Abingdon held the overnight lead and was still out in front by the end of his one-under-par second round, although his five-under-par mark could be surpassed later today.
Resuming at four-under-par this morning, Pepperell made a dream start from the tenth hole, opening up with birdie-birdie-eagle to briefly move five shots clear of the field.
His momentum was halted by a double bogey at the 14th and a further dropped shot at the 18th, but he played the front nine in level par to card a 71.
It put the Frilfiord Heath golfer one ahead of compatriots Richard Bland and Chris Wood, with the majority of the field yet to begin their second rounds.
A high finish on Sunday would be a timely boost for Pepperell, whose best finish so far this season is a tie for 45th place at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship in January.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford's record run over as Cambridge edge thriller
- LIVE UPDATES: The Varsity Matches
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University beat Cambridge University in Women's Varsity Match
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford University fly half Basil Strang gets his kicks by playing at Twickenham
- Oxford United drawn at home to Scunthorpe United in Checkatrade Trophy
- VARSITY MATCH: Pressure is still on us, admits Oxford University winger Tom Stileman
- VARSITY MATCH: Catherine Wilcock backing Oxford University Women to step up
- RUGBY UNION: Dark Blues skipper Fergus Taylor out for more Varsity Match joy