EDDIE Pepperell surged into a share of the lead at the Spanish Open following an excellent first round in Girona.
The 23-year-old from Abingdon's only blemish was dropped a shot at the first, but he staged an excellent recovery.
Birdies at the fourth and sixth got him moving in the right direction, before a strong finish.
Pepperell picked up further shots at the 13th, 15th and 17th to card a four-under-par 68.
It took him top of the leaderboard, alongside Spain's Rafa Cabrera-Bello, who was still out on the course.
- Latest Sport news
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks
- MOTORSPORT: Williams' Valtteri Bottas on a mission to end his Monaco hoodoo in F1
- POINT-TO-POINT: Alan Hill hoping for Kingston Blount glory
- BOXING: Clarke and Robinson claim wins for Blackbird Leys
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands