EDDIE Pepperell surged into a share of the lead at the Spanish Open following an excellent first round in Girona.
The 23-year-old from Abingdon's only blemish was dropped a shot at the first, but he staged an excellent recovery.
Birdies at the fourth and sixth got him moving in the right direction, before a strong finish.
Pepperell picked up further shots at the 13th, 15th and 17th to card a four-under-par 68.
It took him top of the leaderboard, alongside Spain's Rafa Cabrera-Bello, who was still out on the course.
- Latest Sport news
- Fixture changes for Oxford United include derby at Swindon Town
- WATCH: Oxford United players undergo gruelling tests on first day of pre-season
- Oxford United will start pre-season training at Bisham Abbey while work is done at Roman Way
- Liam Sercombe relishing seeing Oxford United teammates again – but not looking forward to pre-season tests
- CRICKET: Ben Knowler's late spell helps send Aston Rowant top of Cherwell League Division 1
- FOOTBALL: Mick Conmy wins top honour at Oxfordshire FA awards
- HOCKEY: Dan Fox gets Olympic call
- AUNT SALLY: Lee Thompson and Mick Berry help steer Swan A to top of Premier Section
- CRICKET: Swashbuckling Nigel Hume hammers 46-ball century as unbeaten Faringdon march on
- AUNT SALLY: Dave Dix so close to maximum in Abingdon & District League