EDDIE Pepperell surged into a share of the lead at the Spanish Open following an excellent first round in Girona.
The 23-year-old from Abingdon's only blemish was dropped a shot at the first, but he staged an excellent recovery.
Birdies at the fourth and sixth got him moving in the right direction, before a strong finish.
Pepperell picked up further shots at the 13th, 15th and 17th to card a four-under-par 68.
It took him top of the leaderboard, alongside Spain's Rafa Cabrera-Bello, who was still out on the course.
- Latest Sport news
- TWICKENHAM: Matt Goode to play through the pain as Oxfordshire eye historic victory
- BOXING: Joe Gaul and Keenan Dallimore taste success
- More details on OxVox stadium bid - but talks 'on hold' due to U's takeover interest
- Liam Sercombe a step closer to Oxford United departure
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars part company with head coach Simon Anderson
- POINT-TO-POINT: Lisa O'Neill backing Ireland to stop the rot in Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City reveal bumper pre-season programme
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell eyes putting improvements ahead of US Open qualifying
- TENNIS: North Oxford extend super streak to keep promotion push on track
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League preview