North Oxford’s men stayed top of their Aegon Team Tennis regional division with an exciting 7-6 tie-break shoot-out victory over Hampshire’s Thornden club.
It was all-square at 4-4 after the singles rubbers as Jay Sexton and Thomas Bowden, playing at No 3 and 4, recorded comfortable successes.
Jack Rooney and Christian Petersen, however, lost tight matches in the top two singles.
The doubles rubbers were also shared, with North Oxford’s second pair of Bowden and Petersen winning comfortably again.
At 6-6, a tie-break shoot-out started, with Thornden not playing their No 1.
This allowed Rooney to win his tie-break 10-7, and with Bowden claiming a 10-1 success, North Oxford had an unassailable 2-0 lead.
North entertain main rivals Maidenhead on June 1 in what looks to be a title decider.
White Horse 14 and under girls were defeated 6-0 by Halton, who are one of the favourites to win the national competition.
Latest Sport news
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton takes no risks with Vesperal Dream
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw at Macclesfield Town
- Alex MacDonald hails Simon Eastwood for keeping Oxford United in FA Cup
- ANGLING: Carl Eland's second place puts Drennan Oxford closer to Winter League crown
- FUTSAL: Liam Palfreeman’s selection forEngland is dream come true
- SWIMMING: Jemma Lowe Olympian inspires City of Oxford’s youngsters
- TABLE TENNIS: Janet Brown causes Karl Bushell big fright in Oxford League
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Thame A close in on the Oxford League leaders
- BOXING: Mixed results for Berinsfield stars
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars looking for quick revenge on leaders