North Oxford’s men stayed top of their Aegon Team Tennis regional division with an exciting 7-6 tie-break shoot-out victory over Hampshire’s Thornden club.
It was all-square at 4-4 after the singles rubbers as Jay Sexton and Thomas Bowden, playing at No 3 and 4, recorded comfortable successes.
Jack Rooney and Christian Petersen, however, lost tight matches in the top two singles.
The doubles rubbers were also shared, with North Oxford’s second pair of Bowden and Petersen winning comfortably again.
At 6-6, a tie-break shoot-out started, with Thornden not playing their No 1.
This allowed Rooney to win his tie-break 10-7, and with Bowden claiming a 10-1 success, North Oxford had an unassailable 2-0 lead.
North entertain main rivals Maidenhead on June 1 in what looks to be a title decider.
White Horse 14 and under girls were defeated 6-0 by Halton, who are one of the favourites to win the national competition.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United are unfazed by away record ahead of Bolton Wanderers trip, says skipper John Lundstram
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Jon Bishop's break of 45 guides Thame to victory
- BOXING: South Moreton's Gavin Lissenden defends Queensbury League title
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United
- Michael Appleton warns Oxford United of wounded Bolton Wanderers
- Chey Dunkley’s determined to continue rate of progress at Oxford United
- It's not a world I recognise, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton as football is rocked by corruption charges
- FOOTBALL: Manager John Brough eyes historic FA Cup run to build North Leigh support
- FOOTBALL: Boss Andy Ballard begins four-game ban as Didcot Town face Bishops Cleeve