North Oxford’s men stayed top of their Aegon Team Tennis regional division with an exciting 7-6 tie-break shoot-out victory over Hampshire’s Thornden club.
It was all-square at 4-4 after the singles rubbers as Jay Sexton and Thomas Bowden, playing at No 3 and 4, recorded comfortable successes.
Jack Rooney and Christian Petersen, however, lost tight matches in the top two singles.
The doubles rubbers were also shared, with North Oxford’s second pair of Bowden and Petersen winning comfortably again.
At 6-6, a tie-break shoot-out started, with Thornden not playing their No 1.
This allowed Rooney to win his tie-break 10-7, and with Bowden claiming a 10-1 success, North Oxford had an unassailable 2-0 lead.
North entertain main rivals Maidenhead on June 1 in what looks to be a title decider.
White Horse 14 and under girls were defeated 6-0 by Halton, who are one of the favourites to win the national competition.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers
- Oxford United closing in on first new signing of January transfer window
- FOOTBALL: Forget the table and just play, boss Mike Ford tells Banbury United
- RUGBY UNION: Late Basil Strang penalty earns Chinnor victory, but Henley Hawks are beaten
- RUGBY UNION: Witney, Banbury and Oxford Harlequins win, but Grove suffer away defeat
- DARTS: Big win keeps Kidlington Green in ODDA title race
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks lose vital ground after suffering heavy home defeat
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford beat Harwell to claim local bragging rights
- RUGBY UNION: Victory for Bicester, but Gosford All Blacks and Wallingford lose out
- DARTS: Deta Hedman back for Oxfordshire's match in Gwent