North Oxford’s men stayed top of their Aegon Team Tennis regional division with an exciting 7-6 tie-break shoot-out victory over Hampshire’s Thornden club.
It was all-square at 4-4 after the singles rubbers as Jay Sexton and Thomas Bowden, playing at No 3 and 4, recorded comfortable successes.
Jack Rooney and Christian Petersen, however, lost tight matches in the top two singles.
The doubles rubbers were also shared, with North Oxford’s second pair of Bowden and Petersen winning comfortably again.
At 6-6, a tie-break shoot-out started, with Thornden not playing their No 1.
This allowed Rooney to win his tie-break 10-7, and with Bowden claiming a 10-1 success, North Oxford had an unassailable 2-0 lead.
North entertain main rivals Maidenhead on June 1 in what looks to be a title decider.
White Horse 14 and under girls were defeated 6-0 by Halton, who are one of the favourites to win the national competition.
Latest Sport news
- I expect to score for Oxford United despite left-field switch – Ryan Taylor
- Michael Appleton searching for a cure to Oxford United's Jekyll & Hyde form
- Oxford United loan extension appeals to Charlie Raglan
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell set to miss cut after disastrous second round
- Port Vale sign former Newcastle United midfielder Ryan Taylor ahead of Oxford United clash
- Oxford United to honour 1996 promotion winners
- FOOTBALL: General manager Justin Merritt backs Oxford City to build on Poole Town win
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town boss Andy Ballard moves quickly to fill Luke Carnell void
- RUGBY UNION: Alan Hancock backs youthful Oxford Harlequins to step up in South West 1 East
- FOOTBALL: Elliott Osborne-Ricketts leaves North Leigh for Kidlington