North Oxford’s men stayed top of their Aegon Team Tennis regional division with an exciting 7-6 tie-break shoot-out victory over Hampshire’s Thornden club.
It was all-square at 4-4 after the singles rubbers as Jay Sexton and Thomas Bowden, playing at No 3 and 4, recorded comfortable successes.
Jack Rooney and Christian Petersen, however, lost tight matches in the top two singles.
The doubles rubbers were also shared, with North Oxford’s second pair of Bowden and Petersen winning comfortably again.
At 6-6, a tie-break shoot-out started, with Thornden not playing their No 1.
This allowed Rooney to win his tie-break 10-7, and with Bowden claiming a 10-1 success, North Oxford had an unassailable 2-0 lead.
North entertain main rivals Maidenhead on June 1 in what looks to be a title decider.
White Horse 14 and under girls were defeated 6-0 by Halton, who are one of the favourites to win the national competition.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United v Bury - UPDATES
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must beat Bury tonight or they can forget play-off push
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United players to seize final chance against Bury to push Wembley claims
- FOOTBALL: Summertown Stars reach FA People’s Cup finals
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor’s National League 2 South title bid suffers huge blow but Henley Hawks win
- GOLF: Champions Frilford Heath are whitewashed
- HOCKEY: Mixed emotions as Abingdon Pilgrims bow out with a victory before disbanding
- RUGBY UNION: Defeats for Oxford Harlequins, Witney and Banbury, but Grove triumph
- RUGBY UNION: Gosford All Blacks, Bicester and Wallingford all triumph in Southern Counties North
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford are no match for Whitehaven in cup