The Division 1 title chase is hotting up after leaders Dorchester were held to a goalless draw at Faringdon, writes PHIL ANNETS.

The result opened the door for their closest rivals, both of whom took full advantage.

Kintbury Rangers are now just two points behind after Mike Annetts, Joe Cummuskey, Charlie Allsop and Shaun Thorp all scored in their 4-1 home win over Wallingford Town, who netted through Ashley Searle.

Ardington & Lockinge, in third, won a tight encounter at Long Wittenham Athletic 2-1 courtesy of Tom Rowe and George Thatcher strikes. Tim Barton scored for the home side.

Brian Rawlings (2) and Dan Osbourne grabbed the goals that gave Berinsfield a comfortable 3-0 home victory over Saxton Rovers.

In Division 3, second-placed Westminster failed to take advantage of the leaders being in cup action, going down 2-0 at Hungerford Town Swifts, for whom Lewis Sopp and Keenan Dundas scored.

Stanford in the Vale hit seven past Clanfield 85 Res without reply, with Taylor Gill netting twice alongside goals from Josh Vaughan, Brad Gill, Chris Mills, Jamie Gregory and James Munday.

Benson Lions won 3-2 at Dorchester Res with Alex Smallshaw getting a brace and Dave Arscott also on target.

Will Vaukins scored twice for Blewbury in their 2-1 victory at Harwell International Res.

Division 4 leaders Turnpike Sports stretched their advantage at the top to four points following a 2-1 win at Faringdon Town A.

Ashley Beckett and Mark Davies scored their goals, with Ben Spencer replying.

Kennington Athletic triumphed 4-2 at home to Drayton Res, with Andy Dier netting twice and Ben Cripps and Joe Hill also on the scoresheet.

Uffington United now have a 12-point lead after winning 11-0 at basement side Appleton Stars in Division 5.

Mark Jones and James Glock hit a hat-trick apiece, Garry Haines Andy Ledbury both bagged two, and George Heath also scored in the win.

Shane Butlin notched four goals for Steventon Res in their 7-0 home success over Crowmarsh Gifford.

Stuart Coppock with two and Robert Cox were their other scorers.

Stanford in the Vale Res won 3-1 at promotion rivals Wallingford Town Res with Joe Griggs, Joel Vaughan and Richard Eltham all scoring. Charlie Lee hit a consolation for Wallingford.

  • Coleshill United took their fellow Division 2 hosts Abingdon United Res right down to the wire in their quarter-final North Berks War Memorial Cup match – finally succumbing 3-0 after the tie was goalless after 90 minutes.

Chris Hooper, Steve Pitson and Paul Brewerton eventually broke through to score the goals for Abingdon.

  • Saxton Rovers Res and Kintbury Rangers Res will contest next month’s Nairne Paul Trophy final.

Division 2 side Saxton came through a stern test against Division 4 rivals Long Wittenham Athletic Res, winning 4-3 after initially falling behind.

Ryan Scott scored two for Wittenham, one a penalty, alongside a Callum Bowler strike, but two goals from Dave Carter and one apiece from Dan Hosier and Mike Quinan saw Saxton go through.

Division 3 leaders Kintbury had a more straightforward progression to the final against their Division 2 opponents Faringdon Town Res after the higher-league side were reduced to ten men when Josh Forth was sent off.

A brace from Alastair Shambrook, one apiece from James Keen and Jake Shearsby, and an own goal gave them a comfortable 5-0 victory.

  • Wantage Town A progressed to the quarter-finals of the Berks & Bucks Junior Cup after winning 2-1 at home to Reading League Division 3 outfit White Eagles.

Luca Rennie and Bill MacDonald were their goalscoring heroes.