Oxford University 33, Cambridge University 15

Oxford University’s fourth successive victory was marred by Sam Egerton receiving the first red card in Varsity Match history.

The scrum half, man-of-the-match last year, was sent off after 51 minutes at Twickenham for gouging the face of Nick Viljoen.

Egerton apologised afterwards, via captain John Carter, for the incident.

But fortunately for the scrum half, such was his side’s dominance up front that they still controlled the remaining half-hour.

Carter, who led the side for a record third time, was man-of-the-match on his final appearance before retiring.

Oxford Mail:

  • Oxford’s Sam Egerton on his way to score a try, shortly before his red card

However, victory was built around an incredibly strong scrum where loosehead prop Lewis Anderson led the way with an outstanding display alongside Ian Williams and hooker Nick Gardner.

The other downside for Oxford was a dislocated hip, which saw vice-captain James Harris taken to hospital before half-time.

Dark Blues fly half Jon-athan Hudson missed an early penalty, allowing Cambridge to go ahead when wing Nick Jones touched down on eight minutes. Don Stevens converted.

Oxford’s scrum came up trumps again on 17 minutes when Carter scored a pushover try, but Hudson’s conversion hit a post and Stevens extended Cambridge’s lead with a penalty.

On 29 minutes, Oxford worked space on the left, but wing Henry Lamont still had to show real determination to score their second try.

Matt Janney missed the conversion, but Hudson was soon on target with a penalty as Oxford led 13-10 at the break.

Oxford Mail:

  • Winger Henry Lamont bursts through the Cambridge defence to score

The Dark Blues got the second half off to a flier with a typically sniping try from Egerton, converted by Hudson.

Egerton then went from hero to villain after he was sent off for gouging Viljoen at a routine ruck.

Lamont had to fill in at scrum half, but Oxford maintained their momentum.

Their pressure finally paid off when Gardner forced his way over and Hudson converted for 27-10.

Cambridge full back Toby May went over for the Light Blues on 67 minutes, but Hudson quickly replied with a penalty.

Hudson’s third penalty wrapped up a comprehensive win and gave Oxford a fourth successive Varsity triumph.

Oxford Univ: Taylor, Hughes (Doe 78), Janney, Turner, Lamont (Shorthose 68), Hudson, Egerton, Anderson (H Macdonald 72), Gardner (Wisson 78), Williams, Rickner (Reeson-Price 41), Rowlands (MacGilchrist 78), G Jones, Harris (Z Macdonald 35), Carter (capt) (Heathcote 67).

Cambridge Univ: May, N Jones (Cherezov 74), Morrison (Boyd-Moss 73), Cook, Murdoch, Stevens (Abraham 26), Peck, Briggs (capt) (Yeeles 57), Pascoe (Calvert 41), Sanders (Alderson 41), Annett, Baker, Mather (Viljoen 36), Smith, Farmer (O’Sullivan 13).

Referee: M Carley (RFU).

Attendance: 24,463.