Twelve cyclists fined for cycling on Headington pavements

Oxford Mail: A cyclist is stoped by PCSO Leigh Sullivan A cyclist is stoped by PCSO Leigh Sullivan

CYCLISTS have been slapped with £30 fines for riding on Headington pavements.

Police handed out 12 fixed penalty notices on Tuesday afternoon. Pcso Jason Martin, pictured left, talking to a cyclist, said cycling on pavements was a frequent hazard for pedestrians in London Road.

He said: “What we want to do is try to take a zero tolerance to cycling like that in the area. It shows we do mean business and we are trying to get the message across to everyone that you will get a £30 ticket if you are found abusing that law.”

The neighbourhood team also stopped cyclists to explain the law to them.

Pcso Martin added: “We have done this operation quite a few times. “We do get a lot of complaints from residents and traders about it. Every time we stop someone people say to me they would like to see it more often.”

But he said signs were confusing in places, adding: “If people are confused with the signage we tend to give them a word of warning.”

Ruth Wilkinson, Liberal Democrat Oxford City Council member for Headington, said: “It’s a subject close to many people’s hearts in Headington.

“We have a lot of cyclists and a lot of pedestrians.

“It’s a very good exercise for the police to explain the regulations to cyclists so they understand where they can ride bikes and where they cannot, because some people genuinely are confused about where they can and cannot cycle.”

Comments (57)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:40am Thu 23 Aug 12

Myron Blatz says...

Now to do the same with motorists who also selfishly believe they have the right to park on pavements, run their businesses from the street, park on corners, and turn narrow roads into chicanes which buses, refuse trucks, emergency vehicles and other vehicles cannot easily cope with.
Now to do the same with motorists who also selfishly believe they have the right to park on pavements, run their businesses from the street, park on corners, and turn narrow roads into chicanes which buses, refuse trucks, emergency vehicles and other vehicles cannot easily cope with. Myron Blatz

9:51am Thu 23 Aug 12

museli says...

Good to see any move to reclaim pavements for pedestrians, as a cyclist I can't see how anyone could think it's ok to ride a bike on the pavement in the middle of a crowded shopping area. The fines are very low and I think they should be given to all those caught (except young children).

Both the PCSO and the councillor recognise that cyclists are confused about which bit of pavements they can ride on. It's maybe not surprising when the council keeps converting pavement to shared use. In many cases cyclists are encouraged to ride on the pavement where the road is wide and safe then expected to get back on the road just where it appears less safe. Hollow Way, Cowley Road and London Road are all examples of this. How are foreign, not-so-bright and visiting cyclists to make any sense of this - it is genuinely confusing and inconsistent.

Much of the blame for pavement cycling lies with the council and their incontinent pot of white paint!
Good to see any move to reclaim pavements for pedestrians, as a cyclist I can't see how anyone could think it's ok to ride a bike on the pavement in the middle of a crowded shopping area. The fines are very low and I think they should be given to all those caught (except young children). Both the PCSO and the councillor recognise that cyclists are confused about which bit of pavements they can ride on. It's maybe not surprising when the council keeps converting pavement to shared use. In many cases cyclists are encouraged to ride on the pavement where the road is wide and safe then expected to get back on the road just where it appears less safe. Hollow Way, Cowley Road and London Road are all examples of this. How are foreign, not-so-bright and visiting cyclists to make any sense of this - it is genuinely confusing and inconsistent. Much of the blame for pavement cycling lies with the council and their incontinent pot of white paint! museli

9:53am Thu 23 Aug 12

museli says...

Myron Blatz wrote:
Now to do the same with motorists who also selfishly believe they have the right to park on pavements, run their businesses from the street, park on corners, and turn narrow roads into chicanes which buses, refuse trucks, emergency vehicles and other vehicles cannot easily cope with.
Yes but firstly these antisocial acts need to be make illegal.
[quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Now to do the same with motorists who also selfishly believe they have the right to park on pavements, run their businesses from the street, park on corners, and turn narrow roads into chicanes which buses, refuse trucks, emergency vehicles and other vehicles cannot easily cope with.[/p][/quote]Yes but firstly these antisocial acts need to be make illegal. museli

10:09am Thu 23 Aug 12

wiltz says...

Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.
Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths. wiltz

10:12am Thu 23 Aug 12

brianbbleys says...

"a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’"
"a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’" brianbbleys

10:24am Thu 23 Aug 12

Lady Penelopee says...

"But he said signs were confusing in places, adding: “If people are confused with the signage we tend to give them a word of warning.” "

I do like the way they've just published a "get out of jail free" card to those caught!

I actually have no objection to people cycling on pavements (so long as they give way to pedestrians), with the exception of busy high street areas like this, where it's just ridiculous!

I also don't object to people parking on pavements, so long as they leave plenty of room for a buggy or wheelchair to get past.
"But he said signs were confusing in places, adding: “If people are confused with the signage we tend to give them a word of warning.” " I do like the way they've just published a "get out of jail free" card to those caught! I actually have no objection to people cycling on pavements (so long as they give way to pedestrians), with the exception of busy high street areas like this, where it's just ridiculous! I also don't object to people parking on pavements, so long as they leave plenty of room for a buggy or wheelchair to get past. Lady Penelopee

11:01am Thu 23 Aug 12

Buffetcrasher says...

museli wrote:
Myron Blatz wrote:
Now to do the same with motorists who also selfishly believe they have the right to park on pavements, run their businesses from the street, park on corners, and turn narrow roads into chicanes which buses, refuse trucks, emergency vehicles and other vehicles cannot easily cope with.
Yes but firstly these antisocial acts need to be make illegal.
The Highway code says:
217. DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop

• near a school entrance
• anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
• at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
• on the approach to a level crossing
• opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
• near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
• opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
• where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
• where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users
• in front of an entrance to a property
• on a bend.

The Highway Code is not law, but it does include many points of law and failure to observe the code, while not in itself an offence, may be taken as evidence of 'driving without due care'.

I myself carry pre-printed leaflets which I leave on windscreens if I am unable to navigate any footpath with my shopping trolley due to the selfishness of drivers. I also shout at cyclists who ride on footpaths and I refuse to move if they are trying to get past me.
[quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Now to do the same with motorists who also selfishly believe they have the right to park on pavements, run their businesses from the street, park on corners, and turn narrow roads into chicanes which buses, refuse trucks, emergency vehicles and other vehicles cannot easily cope with.[/p][/quote]Yes but firstly these antisocial acts need to be make illegal.[/p][/quote]The Highway code says: 217. DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop • near a school entrance • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services • at or near a bus stop or taxi rank • on the approach to a level crossing • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space • near the brow of a hill or hump bridge • opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle • where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane • where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users • in front of an entrance to a property • on a bend. The Highway Code is not law, but it does include many points of law and failure to observe the code, while not in itself an offence, may be taken as evidence of 'driving without due care'. I myself carry pre-printed leaflets which I leave on windscreens if I am unable to navigate any footpath with my shopping trolley due to the selfishness of drivers. I also shout at cyclists who ride on footpaths and I refuse to move if they are trying to get past me. Buffetcrasher

11:10am Thu 23 Aug 12

Bartsimpson_uk says...

So according to yuo wiltz.....if I drive my car the wrong way down a one way street slowly and carefully thats alright!!! Once again you want different rules for cyclists
So according to yuo wiltz.....if I drive my car the wrong way down a one way street slowly and carefully thats alright!!! Once again you want different rules for cyclists Bartsimpson_uk

11:17am Thu 23 Aug 12

cb1917 says...

Now do the same on Cowley Road, especially around Manzil Way.
Now do the same on Cowley Road, especially around Manzil Way. cb1917

12:55pm Thu 23 Aug 12

UnBalanced says...

brianbbleys wrote:
"a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’"
Oh Thanks for the Highway Code quote, can we have a passage from the Bible or something from Shakespeare next, I'm sure we all need that too! Nice to be taken for an imbecile!
[quote][p][bold]brianbbleys[/bold] wrote: "a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’"[/p][/quote]Oh Thanks for the Highway Code quote, can we have a passage from the Bible or something from Shakespeare next, I'm sure we all need that too! Nice to be taken for an imbecile! UnBalanced

12:55pm Thu 23 Aug 12

UnBalanced says...

brianbbleys wrote:
"a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’"
Oh Thanks for the Highway Code quote, can we have a passage from the Bible or something from Shakespeare next, I'm sure we all need that too! Nice to be taken for an imbecile!
[quote][p][bold]brianbbleys[/bold] wrote: "a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’"[/p][/quote]Oh Thanks for the Highway Code quote, can we have a passage from the Bible or something from Shakespeare next, I'm sure we all need that too! Nice to be taken for an imbecile! UnBalanced

1:32pm Thu 23 Aug 12

museli says...

wiltz wrote:
Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.
They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road!
[quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.[/p][/quote]They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road! museli

1:51pm Thu 23 Aug 12

Sid Hunt says...

UnBalanced wrote:
brianbbleys wrote:
"a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’"
Oh Thanks for the Highway Code quote, can we have a passage from the Bible or something from Shakespeare next, I'm sure we all need that too! Nice to be taken for an imbecile!
As it the Highways Act 1835 which is being quoted and not the Highway Code perhaps your self-assessment is correct.
[quote][p][bold]UnBalanced[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brianbbleys[/bold] wrote: "a footway is considered to be the pavement at the side of a carriageway. Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888, prohibits cycling on any footway. An offence is committed if one ‘shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway’"[/p][/quote]Oh Thanks for the Highway Code quote, can we have a passage from the Bible or something from Shakespeare next, I'm sure we all need that too! Nice to be taken for an imbecile![/p][/quote]As it the Highways Act 1835 which is being quoted and not the Highway Code perhaps your self-assessment is correct. Sid Hunt

2:05pm Thu 23 Aug 12

Darkforbid says...

-Now do the same on Cowley
Road, especially around
Manzil Way.-

What stop cycling on shared surface design? Brilliance
-Now do the same on Cowley Road, especially around Manzil Way.- What stop cycling on shared surface design? Brilliance Darkforbid

2:44pm Thu 23 Aug 12

Ryuk says...

Perhaps, they should focus on Turl Street, Broad, Street, Catte Street and even parts of High Street, where in the exact opposite occurs and Pedestrians walk in the roads without paying the slightest bit of attention to oncoming trafic (Cycle or otherwise), Could of played a game of real life bowling and scored a perfect game
Perhaps, they should focus on Turl Street, Broad, Street, Catte Street and even parts of High Street, where in the exact opposite occurs and Pedestrians walk in the roads without paying the slightest bit of attention to oncoming trafic (Cycle or otherwise), Could of played a game of real life bowling and scored a perfect game Ryuk

2:57pm Thu 23 Aug 12

museli says...

Ryuk wrote:
Perhaps, they should focus on Turl Street, Broad, Street, Catte Street and even parts of High Street, where in the exact opposite occurs and Pedestrians walk in the roads without paying the slightest bit of attention to oncoming trafic (Cycle or otherwise), Could of played a game of real life bowling and scored a perfect game
But this isn't illegal, annoying, sometimes selfish, but not my idea of a crime. In most of Oxford pedestrians have to kowtow to wheeled vehicles so can't really blame them for spreading out a bit when they're not being threatened with motor vehicles.
[quote][p][bold]Ryuk[/bold] wrote: Perhaps, they should focus on Turl Street, Broad, Street, Catte Street and even parts of High Street, where in the exact opposite occurs and Pedestrians walk in the roads without paying the slightest bit of attention to oncoming trafic (Cycle or otherwise), Could of played a game of real life bowling and scored a perfect game[/p][/quote]But this isn't illegal, annoying, sometimes selfish, but not my idea of a crime. In most of Oxford pedestrians have to kowtow to wheeled vehicles so can't really blame them for spreading out a bit when they're not being threatened with motor vehicles. museli

3:37pm Thu 23 Aug 12

bart-on simpson says...

1835, 1888? Just a little further back in time, did not King Henry V say when seeing ye oldee Headington charity shoppes on the horizon?:

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man,
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage:
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let it pry through the portage of the head,
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide;
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English,
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought,
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument.
Dishonour not your mothers: now attest,
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture: let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit; and upon this charge,
Cry 'God for Harry! England! and Saint George!'
1835, 1888? Just a little further back in time, did not King Henry V say when seeing ye oldee Headington charity shoppes on the horizon?: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead! In peace there's nothing so becomes a man, As modest stillness and humility; But when the blast of war blows in our ears, Then imitate the action of the tiger: Stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood, Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage: Then lend the eye a terrible aspect; Let it pry through the portage of the head, Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it As fearfully as doth a galled rock O'erhang and jutty his confounded base, Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean. Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide; Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his full height. On, on, you noblest English, Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof! Fathers that, like so many Alexanders, Have in these parts from morn till even fought, And sheathed their swords for lack of argument. Dishonour not your mothers: now attest, That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you. Be copy now to men of grosser blood, And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman, Whose limbs were made in England, show us here The mettle of your pasture: let us swear That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not; For there is none of you so mean and base, That hath not noble lustre in your eyes. I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips, Straining upon the start. The game's afoot: Follow your spirit; and upon this charge, Cry 'God for Harry! England! and Saint George!' bart-on simpson

4:06pm Thu 23 Aug 12

father dowling says...

As anyone who reads my valued, trusted, balanced and important contributions to The Oxford Mail will know I am a supporter of Thames Valley Police and in all they do a very good job. BUT WHAT IS THIS ? Photographing the poor souls like they are child molesters or street robbers ? COME ON !!!! Seems like they are easy targets as I've yet to see the police deal with any of the following when it comes to motorists :

• near a school entrance
• anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
• at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
• on the approach to a level crossing
• opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
• near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
• opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
• where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
• where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users
• in front of an entrance to a property
• on a bend.
As anyone who reads my valued, trusted, balanced and important contributions to The Oxford Mail will know I am a supporter of Thames Valley Police and in all they do a very good job. BUT WHAT IS THIS ? Photographing the poor souls like they are child molesters or street robbers ? COME ON !!!! Seems like they are easy targets as I've yet to see the police deal with any of the following when it comes to motorists : • near a school entrance • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services • at or near a bus stop or taxi rank • on the approach to a level crossing • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space • near the brow of a hill or hump bridge • opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle • where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane • where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users • in front of an entrance to a property • on a bend. father dowling

4:53pm Thu 23 Aug 12

fluff_mike says...

Has anyone stopped to consider why people are cycling on the pavement, not on the road? I would guess that they find the high speeds and volumes of motor traffic on this road intimidating.

Especially considering that speeding, mobile phone use, driving without a licence or insurance, driving under the influence of drink or drugs, and other forms of reckless or aggressive driving are encountered daily by people who ride bicycles.
Has anyone stopped to consider why people are cycling on the pavement, not on the road? I would guess that they find the high speeds and volumes of motor traffic on this road intimidating. Especially considering that speeding, mobile phone use, driving without a licence or insurance, driving under the influence of drink or drugs, and other forms of reckless or aggressive driving are encountered daily by people who ride bicycles. fluff_mike

5:16pm Thu 23 Aug 12

wiltz says...

Bartsimpson_uk wrote:
So according to yuo wiltz.....if I drive my car the wrong way down a one way street slowly and carefully thats alright!!! Once again you want different rules for cyclists
Odd, I don't seem to read any mention of cars or one way streets in my post.
My comment started with reference to the use common sense, it would be helpful in this and many other situations where it is sadly lacking.
Yours was just making a stupid response for no reason.
I don't believe that you have any idea what "I want".
I will give you a clue though, I would like our Police force to make the best use of their time.
[quote][p][bold]Bartsimpson_uk[/bold] wrote: So according to yuo wiltz.....if I drive my car the wrong way down a one way street slowly and carefully thats alright!!! Once again you want different rules for cyclists[/p][/quote]Odd, I don't seem to read any mention of cars or one way streets in my post. My comment started with reference to the use common sense, it would be helpful in this and many other situations where it is sadly lacking. Yours was just making a stupid response for no reason. I don't believe that you have any idea what "I want". I will give you a clue though, I would like our Police force to make the best use of their time. wiltz

5:23pm Thu 23 Aug 12

wiltz says...

museli wrote:
wiltz wrote:
Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.
They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road!
I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied.
[quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.[/p][/quote]They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road![/p][/quote]I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied. wiltz

5:32pm Thu 23 Aug 12

Floflo says...

museli wrote:
Ryuk wrote:
Perhaps, they should focus on Turl Street, Broad, Street, Catte Street and even parts of High Street, where in the exact opposite occurs and Pedestrians walk in the roads without paying the slightest bit of attention to oncoming trafic (Cycle or otherwise), Could of played a game of real life bowling and scored a perfect game
But this isn't illegal, annoying, sometimes selfish, but not my idea of a crime. In most of Oxford pedestrians have to kowtow to wheeled vehicles so can't really blame them for spreading out a bit when they're not being threatened with motor vehicles.
Exactly. The fact that pedestrians happily walk all over the road and also the pavement along these streets is a clear sign that cyclists and pedestrians do mix.

I walk, and legally cycle along these streets and everyone gets on with their business without any problem. From my experience cyclists usually give way to pedestrians in the road - but when the occasional car comes everyone has to scatter out of it's way!

As for cycling on the pavement, don't do it! Even when the pavement has a line painted down it and classified as a cycle it's best avoided as inevitably pedestrians walk all over the pavement, including the bit marked as the cycle lane.
[quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ryuk[/bold] wrote: Perhaps, they should focus on Turl Street, Broad, Street, Catte Street and even parts of High Street, where in the exact opposite occurs and Pedestrians walk in the roads without paying the slightest bit of attention to oncoming trafic (Cycle or otherwise), Could of played a game of real life bowling and scored a perfect game[/p][/quote]But this isn't illegal, annoying, sometimes selfish, but not my idea of a crime. In most of Oxford pedestrians have to kowtow to wheeled vehicles so can't really blame them for spreading out a bit when they're not being threatened with motor vehicles.[/p][/quote]Exactly. The fact that pedestrians happily walk all over the road and also the pavement along these streets is a clear sign that cyclists and pedestrians do mix. I walk, and legally cycle along these streets and everyone gets on with their business without any problem. From my experience cyclists usually give way to pedestrians in the road - but when the occasional car comes everyone has to scatter out of it's way! As for cycling on the pavement, don't do it! Even when the pavement has a line painted down it and classified as a cycle it's best avoided as inevitably pedestrians walk all over the pavement, including the bit marked as the cycle lane. Floflo

5:55pm Thu 23 Aug 12

museli says...

wiltz wrote:
museli wrote:
wiltz wrote:
Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.
They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road!
I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied.
The roads aren't unsuitable or particularly unsafe to cycle on - I do it day in and day out and have done for many years. There is a problem with some cyclists not having the appropriate skills, training or, just as important, attitude, but if they are not competent cyclists all the more reason for keeping them away from vulnerable pedestrians.

Training and enforcement is the only way forward - for all road users not just cyclists.
[quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.[/p][/quote]They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road![/p][/quote]I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied.[/p][/quote]The roads aren't unsuitable or particularly unsafe to cycle on - I do it day in and day out and have done for many years. There is a problem with some cyclists not having the appropriate skills, training or, just as important, attitude, but if they are not competent cyclists all the more reason for keeping them away from vulnerable pedestrians. Training and enforcement is the only way forward - for all road users not just cyclists. museli

6:57pm Thu 23 Aug 12

JanetJ says...

father dowling wrote:
As anyone who reads my valued, trusted, balanced and important contributions to The Oxford Mail will know I am a supporter of Thames Valley Police and in all they do a very good job. BUT WHAT IS THIS ? Photographing the poor souls like they are child molesters or street robbers ? COME ON !!!! Seems like they are easy targets as I've yet to see the police deal with any of the following when it comes to motorists :

• near a school entrance
• anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
• at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
• on the approach to a level crossing
• opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
• near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
• opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
• where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
• where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users
• in front of an entrance to a property
• on a bend.
Can the PCSo's do any of that or does it have to be a PC?
[quote][p][bold]father dowling[/bold] wrote: As anyone who reads my valued, trusted, balanced and important contributions to The Oxford Mail will know I am a supporter of Thames Valley Police and in all they do a very good job. BUT WHAT IS THIS ? Photographing the poor souls like they are child molesters or street robbers ? COME ON !!!! Seems like they are easy targets as I've yet to see the police deal with any of the following when it comes to motorists : • near a school entrance • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services • at or near a bus stop or taxi rank • on the approach to a level crossing • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space • near the brow of a hill or hump bridge • opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle • where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane • where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users • in front of an entrance to a property • on a bend.[/p][/quote]Can the PCSo's do any of that or does it have to be a PC? JanetJ

7:23pm Thu 23 Aug 12

Bon Rurgundy says...

£30 a pop? Sounds like easy money for plod. Must be time to book the TVP Xmas party....
£30 a pop? Sounds like easy money for plod. Must be time to book the TVP Xmas party.... Bon Rurgundy

10:30pm Thu 23 Aug 12

wiltz says...

museli wrote:
wiltz wrote:
museli wrote:
wiltz wrote:
Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.
They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road!
I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied.
The roads aren't unsuitable or particularly unsafe to cycle on - I do it day in and day out and have done for many years. There is a problem with some cyclists not having the appropriate skills, training or, just as important, attitude, but if they are not competent cyclists all the more reason for keeping them away from vulnerable pedestrians.

Training and enforcement is the only way forward - for all road users not just cyclists.
As do I, I am thinking of the vulnerable cyclist such as children or the elderly, As a competent cyclist I have no desire or need to use a pavement, but some do.
[quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.[/p][/quote]They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road![/p][/quote]I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied.[/p][/quote]The roads aren't unsuitable or particularly unsafe to cycle on - I do it day in and day out and have done for many years. There is a problem with some cyclists not having the appropriate skills, training or, just as important, attitude, but if they are not competent cyclists all the more reason for keeping them away from vulnerable pedestrians. Training and enforcement is the only way forward - for all road users not just cyclists.[/p][/quote]As do I, I am thinking of the vulnerable cyclist such as children or the elderly, As a competent cyclist I have no desire or need to use a pavement, but some do. wiltz

1:18pm Fri 24 Aug 12

wiltz says...

Kingston Road Crusader Ox2 6EG wrote:
wiltz wrote:
museli wrote:
wiltz wrote:
museli wrote:
wiltz wrote:
Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.
They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road!
I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied.
The roads aren't unsuitable or particularly unsafe to cycle on - I do it day in and day out and have done for many years. There is a problem with some cyclists not having the appropriate skills, training or, just as important, attitude, but if they are not competent cyclists all the more reason for keeping them away from vulnerable pedestrians.

Training and enforcement is the only way forward - for all road users not just cyclists.
As do I, I am thinking of the vulnerable cyclist such as children or the elderly, As a competent cyclist I have no desire or need to use a pavement, but some do.
It is ilegal. But if you do not mind cyclos breaking the law, then you will not mind me using my mobile whilst driving at 42 MPH along a 20mph road as long as I am careful and respectful of other road users. Either we have a law or we do not. Or is that too simple for you?
You obviously don't understand or maybe you don't read very well, yes I can insult you too, not that that is my desire. I was trying to make constructive comments on the situation. It is against the law but is the laws correct. In my opinion it is a minor law where common sense can be applied. It is my opinion which may differ from yours but that is our right, insults are in no way constructive
[quote][p][bold]Kingston Road Crusader Ox2 6EG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]museli[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.[/p][/quote]They would take up considerably less room on the footway if they cycled on the road![/p][/quote]I am sure that in many situations (not all obviously) the people that cycle on pavements do so because the roads are either unsuitable or unsafe, These are the situations that providing they are being considerate of others that "common sense" should be applied.[/p][/quote]The roads aren't unsuitable or particularly unsafe to cycle on - I do it day in and day out and have done for many years. There is a problem with some cyclists not having the appropriate skills, training or, just as important, attitude, but if they are not competent cyclists all the more reason for keeping them away from vulnerable pedestrians. Training and enforcement is the only way forward - for all road users not just cyclists.[/p][/quote]As do I, I am thinking of the vulnerable cyclist such as children or the elderly, As a competent cyclist I have no desire or need to use a pavement, but some do.[/p][/quote]It is ilegal. But if you do not mind cyclos breaking the law, then you will not mind me using my mobile whilst driving at 42 MPH along a 20mph road as long as I am careful and respectful of other road users. Either we have a law or we do not. Or is that too simple for you?[/p][/quote]You obviously don't understand or maybe you don't read very well, yes I can insult you too, not that that is my desire. I was trying to make constructive comments on the situation. It is against the law but is the laws correct. In my opinion it is a minor law where common sense can be applied. It is my opinion which may differ from yours but that is our right, insults are in no way constructive wiltz

2:27pm Fri 24 Aug 12

bart-on simpson says...

Is it true a flash mob of singing pedestrians pushing over footpath riding cyclists is being planned for Headington shop on Satuday morning?
Is it true a flash mob of singing pedestrians pushing over footpath riding cyclists is being planned for Headington shop on Satuday morning? bart-on simpson

2:47pm Fri 24 Aug 12

the wizard says...

Can we have a Police Hit Squad in Witney please to stop the constant riding on the pavement by the delinquent few that endanger pedestrians on a regular basis. Say anything to them politely and you get told where to go, the last one fell of his bjke while turning to give me abuse. I thought it hilarious.
Can we have a Police Hit Squad in Witney please to stop the constant riding on the pavement by the delinquent few that endanger pedestrians on a regular basis. Say anything to them politely and you get told where to go, the last one fell of his bjke while turning to give me abuse. I thought it hilarious. the wizard

3:17pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Holly26 says...

I was most put out a couple of weeks ago when I was walking along a busy pavement in Headington. I was laden down with heavy shopping bags and had to move out of the way of a woman cycling on the pavement - followed by her young son of about 7 years. What kind of example was she setting to him?

I don't mind cyclists being on the pavement if there's not (m)any pedestrians and the cyclists are going slowly / give priority to pedestrians but when the pavements are busy cyclists should push their bikes or cycle on the road.
I was most put out a couple of weeks ago when I was walking along a busy pavement in Headington. I was laden down with heavy shopping bags and had to move out of the way of a woman cycling on the pavement - followed by her young son of about 7 years. What kind of example was she setting to him? I don't mind cyclists being on the pavement if there's not (m)any pedestrians and the cyclists are going slowly / give priority to pedestrians but when the pavements are busy cyclists should push their bikes or cycle on the road. Holly26

5:36pm Fri 24 Aug 12

the wizard says...

the wizard wrote:
Can we have a Police Hit Squad in Witney please to stop the constant riding on the pavement by the delinquent few that endanger pedestrians on a regular basis. Say anything to them politely and you get told where to go, the last one fell of his bjke while turning to give me abuse. I thought it hilarious.
Not only did I think it hilarious then, I still do. The fact is , he now uses the road, which makes me smile even more. Just love it. They are breaking the law, they know it, they get caught so they get what ever is coming to them. Game on.

The thing is, many think it their right. Quite simple, no if's or but's, it is not their right, the law says so and they are not above it. Time to get real and ENFORCE THE LAW. I T IS THERE TO SAFE GUARD THE INNOCENT AND VULNERABLE.
[quote][p][bold]the wizard[/bold] wrote: Can we have a Police Hit Squad in Witney please to stop the constant riding on the pavement by the delinquent few that endanger pedestrians on a regular basis. Say anything to them politely and you get told where to go, the last one fell of his bjke while turning to give me abuse. I thought it hilarious.[/p][/quote]Not only did I think it hilarious then, I still do. The fact is , he now uses the road, which makes me smile even more. Just love it. They are breaking the law, they know it, they get caught so they get what ever is coming to them. Game on. The thing is, many think it their right. Quite simple, no if's or but's, it is not their right, the law says so and they are not above it. Time to get real and ENFORCE THE LAW. I T IS THERE TO SAFE GUARD THE INNOCENT AND VULNERABLE. the wizard

7:59pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Andrew:Oxford says...

Now the cyclists have been dealt with...

Any chance of sorting out the property owners who think it is ok to have bushes and trees extend across the pavement?

There are streets in East Oxford where the bushes extend almost as far across the pavements as the cars park on them. At a fairly average (for Oxford) 6'4" it's almost impossible to walk along some streets (in particular Iffley Road) without ducking to avoid low errant branches).
Now the cyclists have been dealt with... Any chance of sorting out the property owners who think it is ok to have bushes and trees extend across the pavement? There are streets in East Oxford where the bushes extend almost as far across the pavements as the cars park on them. At a fairly average (for Oxford) 6'4" it's almost impossible to walk along some streets (in particular Iffley Road) without ducking to avoid low errant branches). Andrew:Oxford

6:03am Sat 25 Aug 12

xjohnx says...

wiltz wrote:
Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.
Dimwit! You can't break the law and still think you are being considerate.
Would you consider mugging an old lady OK if the mugger only wants the money for a good cause.
[quote][p][bold]wiltz[/bold] wrote: Maybe a bit of (amazingly un) common sense could be used, OK a cyclist who is cycling with no regard for others should be stopped and fined, there is no argument against this. But one who is cycling at walking speed on a pavement is being considerate by taking up the least room, if they were to dismount and push there bikes like the closed minded non cycling community would have them do they would be taking up twice the space and cause twice the disruption on the narrow paths.[/p][/quote]Dimwit! You can't break the law and still think you are being considerate. Would you consider mugging an old lady OK if the mugger only wants the money for a good cause. xjohnx

6:06am Sat 25 Aug 12

xjohnx says...

fluff_mike wrote:
Has anyone stopped to consider why people are cycling on the pavement, not on the road? I would guess that they find the high speeds and volumes of motor traffic on this road intimidating.

Especially considering that speeding, mobile phone use, driving without a licence or insurance, driving under the influence of drink or drugs, and other forms of reckless or aggressive driving are encountered daily by people who ride bicycles.
I suspect they cycle on the pavement because they are inconsiderate morons.
[quote][p][bold]fluff_mike[/bold] wrote: Has anyone stopped to consider why people are cycling on the pavement, not on the road? I would guess that they find the high speeds and volumes of motor traffic on this road intimidating. Especially considering that speeding, mobile phone use, driving without a licence or insurance, driving under the influence of drink or drugs, and other forms of reckless or aggressive driving are encountered daily by people who ride bicycles.[/p][/quote]I suspect they cycle on the pavement because they are inconsiderate morons. xjohnx

8:39am Sat 25 Aug 12

the wizard says...

xjohnx said,

I suspect they cycle on the pavement because they are inconsiderate morons.

At last, wrapped up in just a few words.

Have to agree with you John, and that was why the law was put there, to protect the pedestrians from said Morons. Further proof of their status is, they like smokers, will argue their point even though its a lost cause to their dying breathe. They are wrong, the know they are wrong, but they will persist, and they are wrong. It is against the law, and common decency to cycle on the path, end of.
xjohnx said, I suspect they cycle on the pavement because they are inconsiderate morons. At last, wrapped up in just a few words. Have to agree with you John, and that was why the law was put there, to protect the pedestrians from said Morons. Further proof of their status is, they like smokers, will argue their point even though its a lost cause to their dying breathe. They are wrong, the know they are wrong, but they will persist, and they are wrong. It is against the law, and common decency to cycle on the path, end of. the wizard

8:46am Sat 25 Aug 12

bart-on simpson says...

There is a lot of talk about doping in the papers, so good to see some Headington cycle dopes.

Gold medal to PCSO Leigh Sullivan.
There is a lot of talk about doping in the papers, so good to see some Headington cycle dopes. Gold medal to PCSO Leigh Sullivan. bart-on simpson

11:33am Sat 25 Aug 12

sprouts says...

I would be interested in some additional research by Mr. Wilkinson:

1) How many pedestrians got injured or killed over the past five years by cyclists?
2) How many cyclists got injured or killed over the past five years by motorists?

I am genuinely interested and would think that this basic background information would vastly improve the article.
I would be interested in some additional research by Mr. Wilkinson: 1) How many pedestrians got injured or killed over the past five years by cyclists? 2) How many cyclists got injured or killed over the past five years by motorists? I am genuinely interested and would think that this basic background information would vastly improve the article. sprouts

4:02pm Sat 25 Aug 12

Milkbutnosugarplease says...

Excellent, but why only £30? Why not £100 or forfeit the bike? Also, cyclists who leave their bikes flat on the pavement outside shops are a menace to people walking in and out. Instead of legalistic comments about the Highway Code, here's a moral comment: don't be selfish whether in a car, on a bike or on foot and we'll all have a happier life.
Excellent, but why only £30? Why not £100 or forfeit the bike? Also, cyclists who leave their bikes flat on the pavement outside shops are a menace to people walking in and out. Instead of legalistic comments about the Highway Code, here's a moral comment: don't be selfish whether in a car, on a bike or on foot and we'll all have a happier life. Milkbutnosugarplease

5:30pm Sat 25 Aug 12

fiserable muck says...

I agree with not riding on the pavements, and I agree with fines for those that do. but surely these PCSO's didn't have to spend all day trying to catch them out whilst drug dealers, burglars and shoplifters had a free run of headington that day....??
mind you, a drug dealer is hardly going to be scared of a pcso with his bicycle, whistle and notebook.
I agree with not riding on the pavements, and I agree with fines for those that do. but surely these PCSO's didn't have to spend all day trying to catch them out whilst drug dealers, burglars and shoplifters had a free run of headington that day....?? mind you, a drug dealer is hardly going to be scared of a pcso with his bicycle, whistle and notebook. fiserable muck

6:11pm Sat 25 Aug 12

shipscat says...

xjoinx people that call others dimwits and morons are usually dimwits and morons.
xjoinx people that call others dimwits and morons are usually dimwits and morons. shipscat

11:00am Sun 26 Aug 12

the wizard says...

Due to a "blind eye" by the Police for many years this practice has been gathering momentum unabated, which doesn't make it any more right than wrong. Its about time that laws such as this were more rigidly enforced, and surely that is the role of PCSO's , leaving the full time qualified Police Officers available to get on with crime as opposed to more community issues.
Due to a "blind eye" by the Police for many years this practice has been gathering momentum unabated, which doesn't make it any more right than wrong. Its about time that laws such as this were more rigidly enforced, and surely that is the role of PCSO's , leaving the full time qualified Police Officers available to get on with crime as opposed to more community issues. the wizard

4:32pm Mon 27 Aug 12

shipscat says...

Kingston Road Crusader Ox2 6EG wrote:
shipscat wrote:
xjoinx people that call others dimwits and morons are usually dimwits and morons.
I think that he meant to say that they are a group of, lazy, inconsiderate, selfish, egotistical, self-rightous, and downright rude people, but he didd not want to waste his time typing all that out. But none-the-less he was correct. Anyone who will not get off their bike when they reach a pavement and continue cycling to get to the shop, is all of the above. And I wil not start on the 4 letter abuse thhat we pedestrians get when we point it out. Goodnight.
And another who describes himself to a T
[quote][p][bold]Kingston Road Crusader Ox2 6EG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shipscat[/bold] wrote: xjoinx people that call others dimwits and morons are usually dimwits and morons.[/p][/quote]I think that he meant to say that they are a group of, lazy, inconsiderate, selfish, egotistical, self-rightous, and downright rude people, but he didd not want to waste his time typing all that out. But none-the-less he was correct. Anyone who will not get off their bike when they reach a pavement and continue cycling to get to the shop, is all of the above. And I wil not start on the 4 letter abuse thhat we pedestrians get when we point it out. Goodnight.[/p][/quote]And another who describes himself to a T shipscat

5:26pm Mon 27 Aug 12

BenkiuGuasu says...

this is pathetic... how about the coppers do something something productive with their time like trying to solve crime. how many people die per year because of cyclists cycling slowly along the pavement? ZERO... how many are injured? ZERO ... what a bunch of pathetic souls you all are for agreeing with this "crackdown".... how about cracking down on crack cocaine.... that would be worthwhile, not this ridiculous waste of time....honestly people, get a life.....
this is pathetic... how about the coppers do something something productive with their time like trying to solve crime. how many people die per year because of cyclists cycling slowly along the pavement? ZERO... how many are injured? ZERO ... what a bunch of pathetic souls you all are for agreeing with this "crackdown".... how about cracking down on crack cocaine.... that would be worthwhile, not this ridiculous waste of time....honestly people, get a life..... BenkiuGuasu

6:10pm Mon 27 Aug 12

CantClimb says...

If you ask me.. which you wont.. until you can sort human nature there will never a solution.. I drive I cycle and I walk..so like plenty of others i expect I see all many examples of good and bad car/pedestrian/cycli
sts!
drivers that park on pavements/cyclists weaving on them.. and people with earphones walking in clearly painted cycle lanes who would not hear you coming under any circumstances!! so until we all learn tolerance or simply open our eyes and actually think what we are doing and being in less haste.. the argument will rage..for example should the police issue a £ 30 fine to someone with earphones walking in a clearly marked cycle lane or jaywalking on the road as its JUST a cycle coming!!.. I personally hate cycle lanes as they are often littered with glass etc.. but then there is always the danger of the car such as the other day who had no idea I was travelling at around 25mph and cut across me to turn left while engrossed on his mobile !but to show I am not biased the same goes for the idiot on a cycle the other day who went past me on my bike at a red light to ride across the traffic at a 4 way junction!!
I would say that deserves a fine!! lastly there is a case that some cycle lanes/areas are very confusing!! I can think of a couple in abingdon for starters!!
If you ask me.. which you wont.. until you can sort human nature there will never a solution.. I drive I cycle and I walk..so like plenty of others i expect I see all many examples of good and bad car/pedestrian/cycli sts! drivers that park on pavements/cyclists weaving on them.. and people with earphones walking in clearly painted cycle lanes who would not hear you coming under any circumstances!! so until we all learn tolerance or simply open our eyes and actually think what we are doing and being in less haste.. the argument will rage..for example should the police issue a £ 30 fine to someone with earphones walking in a clearly marked cycle lane or jaywalking on the road as its JUST a cycle coming!!.. I personally hate cycle lanes as they are often littered with glass etc.. but then there is always the danger of the car such as the other day who had no idea I was travelling at around 25mph and cut across me to turn left while engrossed on his mobile !but to show I am not biased the same goes for the idiot on a cycle the other day who went past me on my bike at a red light to ride across the traffic at a 4 way junction!! I would say that deserves a fine!! lastly there is a case that some cycle lanes/areas are very confusing!! I can think of a couple in abingdon for starters!! CantClimb

10:02am Tue 28 Aug 12

Cyclestrian says...

Before police do this, they should ask:

- Is the adjacent road carriageway safe and clear for cycling? If not, perhaps their time would be better spent with speed enforcement and towing inconsiderately "just five minutes" parked vehicles.

- Is the cyclist a risk or worry to pedestrians?

The photos above make this look like a shopping area where both cyclists and motorists should be on their best behaviour. 20mph speed limit in such places is really sensible.

In Japan everyone uses a bike on the pavement when it's a bit too far to walk. Google "cycling in japans cities" for a recent blog. This doesn't worry elderly and disabled because they're doing it too!
Before police do this, they should ask: - Is the adjacent road carriageway safe and clear for cycling? If not, perhaps their time would be better spent with speed enforcement and towing inconsiderately "just five minutes" parked vehicles. - Is the cyclist a risk or worry to pedestrians? The photos above make this look like a shopping area where both cyclists and motorists should be on their best behaviour. 20mph speed limit in such places is really sensible. In Japan everyone uses a bike on the pavement when it's a bit too far to walk. Google "cycling in japans cities" for a recent blog. This doesn't worry elderly and disabled because they're doing it too! Cyclestrian

12:39pm Tue 28 Aug 12

Geoff Roberts says...

Police, mainly not PCSOs, regularly ignore people cycling on the pavement. They could wind their window down and say something but do not.

As a result of this practice going unchallenged it is now rife, it is causing divisions in our communities, people have been assaulted after challenging people cycling on the pavement, people have been ridden into by cyclists on the pavement, given abuse and so on.

I have recorded an entire working day's worth of activity on one road and at one point there were approximately 13 pavement cyclists an hour.

The police are ineffective, they do not prevent this crime and they fail to detect it because when they do have a 'sweep' they are high visibility and cyclists can see them from a distance then get on the road and go back on the pavement when out of view. The police don't stop people who were riding on the pavement. They let them go.

Cyclists constantly ride through bus queues and when people are getting on and off buses. Often this involves the buses that go to and from the hospital.

The average person in the street says and does absolutely nothing about the situation, even if they don't like it. Instead they keep their heads down and move out of the way for the cyclist. If you don't move out of the way some cyclists will just ride straight into you. Other cyclists will attempt to cycle right on the edge of the pavement or will cycle on the wrong side of the road.

Oxford is a terrible place for cycling I think. It's full of cyclists who have decided that they are more important than pedestrians. They are hundreds of inconsiderate cyclists each week.

What seems petty to some people is not necessarily petty. What this and other minor crimes are doing is driving a wedge between people, it is helping to cultivate an inconsiderate society.
Police, mainly not PCSOs, regularly ignore people cycling on the pavement. They could wind their window down and say something but do not. As a result of this practice going unchallenged it is now rife, it is causing divisions in our communities, people have been assaulted after challenging people cycling on the pavement, people have been ridden into by cyclists on the pavement, given abuse and so on. I have recorded an entire working day's worth of activity on one road and at one point there were approximately 13 pavement cyclists an hour. The police are ineffective, they do not prevent this crime and they fail to detect it because when they do have a 'sweep' they are high visibility and cyclists can see them from a distance then get on the road and go back on the pavement when out of view. The police don't stop people who were riding on the pavement. They let them go. Cyclists constantly ride through bus queues and when people are getting on and off buses. Often this involves the buses that go to and from the hospital. The average person in the street says and does absolutely nothing about the situation, even if they don't like it. Instead they keep their heads down and move out of the way for the cyclist. If you don't move out of the way some cyclists will just ride straight into you. Other cyclists will attempt to cycle right on the edge of the pavement or will cycle on the wrong side of the road. Oxford is a terrible place for cycling I think. It's full of cyclists who have decided that they are more important than pedestrians. They are hundreds of inconsiderate cyclists each week. What seems petty to some people is not necessarily petty. What this and other minor crimes are doing is driving a wedge between people, it is helping to cultivate an inconsiderate society. Geoff Roberts

12:43pm Tue 28 Aug 12

Geoff Roberts says...

Here's a playlist of examples of the problem:

http://www.youtube.c
om/playlist?list=PLE
99CE71C1249EF37
Here's a playlist of examples of the problem: http://www.youtube.c om/playlist?list=PLE 99CE71C1249EF37 Geoff Roberts

2:13pm Tue 28 Aug 12

Cyclestrian says...

Geoff: watched your videos and am not convinced they help your case. They show a 20mph road congested with motor traffic on which there is also a large amount of cycle and pedestrian through traffic. The problem is the motor traffic, not the cyclists who seem to be adapting to hostile conditions. It might help to have bicycle symbols "sharrows" printed on the road carriageway to show to drivers and new cyclists where bikes should be. I can't see that enforcement/fining by itself would improve the situation.
Geoff: watched your videos and am not convinced they help your case. They show a 20mph road congested with motor traffic on which there is also a large amount of cycle and pedestrian through traffic. The problem is the motor traffic, not the cyclists who seem to be adapting to hostile conditions. It might help to have bicycle symbols "sharrows" printed on the road carriageway to show to drivers and new cyclists where bikes should be. I can't see that enforcement/fining by itself would improve the situation. Cyclestrian

2:43pm Tue 28 Aug 12

## Nonny Mouse ## says...

Geoff, mate. By all means record evidence etc, but i wouldn't try and get into confrontations with people like you have. You make a hash of it and i can tell from your voice that you are literally quivering with suppressed rage.

You are better off behind a keyboard where you can articulate your point of view more effectively.

I'm not having a dig, i am the same. I never get across what i am wanting to say in the moment.
Geoff, mate. By all means record evidence etc, but i wouldn't try and get into confrontations with people like you have. You make a hash of it and i can tell from your voice that you are literally quivering with suppressed rage. You are better off behind a keyboard where you can articulate your point of view more effectively. I'm not having a dig, i am the same. I never get across what i am wanting to say in the moment. ## Nonny Mouse ##

2:51pm Tue 28 Aug 12

bart-on simpson says...

Elected Police Comm wannabe Martin Young would like this patrol permanently at Headington Shops, no doubt.
Elected Police Comm wannabe Martin Young would like this patrol permanently at Headington Shops, no doubt. bart-on simpson

5:55pm Tue 28 Aug 12

Geoff Roberts says...

To cyclestrian: I dispute your assertion that the videos show a 20 mph road which is congested. If you have watched all 60+ of the videos (which I'm not expecting you to) then I think you would have come to a different conclusion, which is that the majority of the incidents occur when the road isn't congested. Often incidents occur when cyclists hit traffic lights and the cyclists use the pavement to go through a red light. I don't think that is congestion though.

Amongst the videos there are statements from cyclists who say that they ride on the pavement because they get forced off the road by drivers. My point to this is that the cyclists are shifting the issue onto pedestrians (who have a right to use the footpath) and are allowing those bad drivers to rule over everyone else. In those cases it is the pedestrian who comes out worse. Contrary to this there are plenty of cyclists who use the road without this issue though.

There is a major issue with speeding on the road but the local police website simply says (last time I checked it) that "speeding is a perception". I think this is insinuating that what people think is speeding, isn't speeding. Yet out of the many taxis I've used along the road over the last couple of years, I only recall one of them doing within the speed limit and there are clearly many offenders (not just taxis - I happen to have used a lot them). I feel sorry for cyclists being faced with this issue, although some cyclists also break the speed limit. I do not think it is right, or addressing the issue by pushing it onto the pavements and onto pedestrians.

The other issue here is that this is fairly narrow pavement, people step out of their front doors and are faced with cyclists on the pavement. It is also frequent, as pointed out previously, for cyclists to go through bus queues when people, including elderly people, are getting off the bus. The bus stop at the bottom of Hollow Way is a place where cyclists regularly ride through, it also happens to be the bus stop where I once found a very frail old lady collapsing and ran over to help her.

Some of my videos also show that people ignore signs and road markings (as in evidence from videos of people using a pavement next to a cycle lane and cyclists not going on to the road when the cycle land ends), so unfortunately it presents evidence that your idea of road markings is unlikely to have much effect. Where should bicycles be on Hollow Way anyway? As far as I can see they should be on the road, not at the side of the road but using the road like any other vehicle. I'm not sure what road markings would get that message across.

To Nonny Mouse: Thank you for your concern but I'm not going out of my way to have a confrontation, quite the opposite, I actually changed my route to and from work and added time on to my journey in order to avoid confrontation with cyclists. My change of route even took me down a cycle track which I was fine with. Unfortunately I've had to abandon that since being assaulted, threatened with being attacked by dogs and having homophobic comments shouted out me amongst other things so I decide it was less risky dealing with cyclists than being on the back streets. Changing my route didn't really work either though because I cyclist ran into me right outside my house, then got off his bike, threatened to wrap it around my head then attempted to strangle me for getting in his way. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me and after several assaults have never had any justice because no-one ever witnessess anything. Hence why I carry a camera now. I also use the camera if I see something happening, especially if a cyclist is coming toward me on the pavement. I avoid filming small children though and think that it's fine for them to use the pavement.

I also think that what you have detected in my voice is not rage but fear. I can see a case for people thinking that the presence of a video camera may cause people to behave in a certain way. A couple of responses to that: firstly that I'm perfectly within my right to film in a public place so it'd be a little like suggesting a girl shouldn't wear a short skirt because it might cause someone to rape her. Secondly all of the incidents would have occurred with or without the camera. The camera makes things worse after the incident but there's also reason to suggest some people may have assaulted me without the presence of the camera, in which case it's protecting me to some extent. I actually have video of some youths admitting this.

The unfortunate reality of this is that the only way I could avoid confrontation is by getting out of the way of cyclists and not even muttering something under my breath at them. Keep my head down, don't complain. That doesn't take the problem away, it changes how I react to it. Do you think I should do that? Do you think I should just give in?
To cyclestrian: I dispute your assertion that the videos show a 20 mph road which is congested. If you have watched all 60+ of the videos (which I'm not expecting you to) then I think you would have come to a different conclusion, which is that the majority of the incidents occur when the road isn't congested. Often incidents occur when cyclists hit traffic lights and the cyclists use the pavement to go through a red light. I don't think that is congestion though. Amongst the videos there are statements from cyclists who say that they ride on the pavement because they get forced off the road by drivers. My point to this is that the cyclists are shifting the issue onto pedestrians (who have a right to use the footpath) and are allowing those bad drivers to rule over everyone else. In those cases it is the pedestrian who comes out worse. Contrary to this there are plenty of cyclists who use the road without this issue though. There is a major issue with speeding on the road but the local police website simply says (last time I checked it) that "speeding is a perception". I think this is insinuating that what people think is speeding, isn't speeding. Yet out of the many taxis I've used along the road over the last couple of years, I only recall one of them doing within the speed limit and there are clearly many offenders (not just taxis - I happen to have used a lot them). I feel sorry for cyclists being faced with this issue, although some cyclists also break the speed limit. I do not think it is right, or addressing the issue by pushing it onto the pavements and onto pedestrians. The other issue here is that this is fairly narrow pavement, people step out of their front doors and are faced with cyclists on the pavement. It is also frequent, as pointed out previously, for cyclists to go through bus queues when people, including elderly people, are getting off the bus. The bus stop at the bottom of Hollow Way is a place where cyclists regularly ride through, it also happens to be the bus stop where I once found a very frail old lady collapsing and ran over to help her. Some of my videos also show that people ignore signs and road markings (as in evidence from videos of people using a pavement next to a cycle lane and cyclists not going on to the road when the cycle land ends), so unfortunately it presents evidence that your idea of road markings is unlikely to have much effect. Where should bicycles be on Hollow Way anyway? As far as I can see they should be on the road, not at the side of the road but using the road like any other vehicle. I'm not sure what road markings would get that message across. To Nonny Mouse: Thank you for your concern but I'm not going out of my way to have a confrontation, quite the opposite, I actually changed my route to and from work and added time on to my journey in order to avoid confrontation with cyclists. My change of route even took me down a cycle track which I was fine with. Unfortunately I've had to abandon that since being assaulted, threatened with being attacked by dogs and having homophobic comments shouted out me amongst other things so I decide it was less risky dealing with cyclists than being on the back streets. Changing my route didn't really work either though because I cyclist ran into me right outside my house, then got off his bike, threatened to wrap it around my head then attempted to strangle me for getting in his way. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me and after several assaults have never had any justice because no-one ever witnessess anything. Hence why I carry a camera now. I also use the camera if I see something happening, especially if a cyclist is coming toward me on the pavement. I avoid filming small children though and think that it's fine for them to use the pavement. I also think that what you have detected in my voice is not rage but fear. I can see a case for people thinking that the presence of a video camera may cause people to behave in a certain way. A couple of responses to that: firstly that I'm perfectly within my right to film in a public place so it'd be a little like suggesting a girl shouldn't wear a short skirt because it might cause someone to rape her. Secondly all of the incidents would have occurred with or without the camera. The camera makes things worse after the incident but there's also reason to suggest some people may have assaulted me without the presence of the camera, in which case it's protecting me to some extent. I actually have video of some youths admitting this. The unfortunate reality of this is that the only way I could avoid confrontation is by getting out of the way of cyclists and not even muttering something under my breath at them. Keep my head down, don't complain. That doesn't take the problem away, it changes how I react to it. Do you think I should do that? Do you think I should just give in? Geoff Roberts

6:09pm Tue 28 Aug 12

Geoff Roberts says...

This afternoon I witnessed a cyclist on the pavement on Hollow Way, As the cyclist moves from the pavement on one side of the road to the pavement on the other side of a road, a male PCSO came cycling along the road. The cyclist mounted the pavement on his bicycle right in front of the police officer. The cyclist then continued down the pavement and the police officer was pretty much cycling alongside the cyclist on the pavement all the way to the junction passing through at least one bus stop and possibly a pedestrian crossing.

In an incident a few weeks back several cyclists rode on the pavement right in front of 2 female PSCOs who were two busy smiling and chatting away to each other whilst waiting for a bus, to notice anything which was going on around them. Completely oblivious.

Older incidents include 2 policemen in a car laughing to each other when I attempted to get them have a word with a cyclist who was on the pavement, on her bicycle right in front of them.

I also have on video the neighbourhood police van casually driving past a cyclist on the pavement.

In one incident where I bothered to report an incident, the civilian police operator informed me that "cycling on the pavement isn't necessarily a crime" then attempted to try to put me off reporting the crime by making excuses up for cyclists, pointing out that cars travel faster now since the act was passed.
This afternoon I witnessed a cyclist on the pavement on Hollow Way, As the cyclist moves from the pavement on one side of the road to the pavement on the other side of a road, a male PCSO came cycling along the road. The cyclist mounted the pavement on his bicycle right in front of the police officer. The cyclist then continued down the pavement and the police officer was pretty much cycling alongside the cyclist on the pavement all the way to the junction passing through at least one bus stop and possibly a pedestrian crossing. In an incident a few weeks back several cyclists rode on the pavement right in front of 2 female PSCOs who were two busy smiling and chatting away to each other whilst waiting for a bus, to notice anything which was going on around them. Completely oblivious. Older incidents include 2 policemen in a car laughing to each other when I attempted to get them have a word with a cyclist who was on the pavement, on her bicycle right in front of them. I also have on video the neighbourhood police van casually driving past a cyclist on the pavement. In one incident where I bothered to report an incident, the civilian police operator informed me that "cycling on the pavement isn't necessarily a crime" then attempted to try to put me off reporting the crime by making excuses up for cyclists, pointing out that cars travel faster now since the act was passed. Geoff Roberts

6:12pm Tue 28 Aug 12

Geoff Roberts says...

Sorry, I should say that some of the PCSOs have made a lot of effort trying to sort this problem out but they are in the minority and they are being squeezed by, as one police woman told me, David Cameron!
Sorry, I should say that some of the PCSOs have made a lot of effort trying to sort this problem out but they are in the minority and they are being squeezed by, as one police woman told me, David Cameron! Geoff Roberts

3:16am Wed 29 Aug 12

RogerLFC says...

CSO's have got about 2 powers in most places. Pouring away booze in booze free zones. Or sorting out cycling. So they wake up and are faced with sorting out one of those. In reality they pseudo plug the gaps in crime fighting by being sent to stuff they should be nowhere near because there are not enough real Police Officers. In my experience a fair few are frustrated 'would be' Police. It's a joke role really ...
CSO's have got about 2 powers in most places. Pouring away booze in booze free zones. Or sorting out cycling. So they wake up and are faced with sorting out one of those. In reality they pseudo plug the gaps in crime fighting by being sent to stuff they should be nowhere near because there are not enough real Police Officers. In my experience a fair few are frustrated 'would be' Police. It's a joke role really ... RogerLFC

10:51am Wed 29 Aug 12

Cyclestrian says...

"Also in Japan, it is big business for schoolgirls to post their soiled knickers..."

Ha ha!! Can't argue with that.
"Also in Japan, it is big business for schoolgirls to post their soiled knickers..." Ha ha!! Can't argue with that. Cyclestrian

12:27pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Geoff Roberts says...

RogerLFC wrote:
CSO's have got about 2 powers in most places. Pouring away booze in booze free zones. Or sorting out cycling. So they wake up and are faced with sorting out one of those. In reality they pseudo plug the gaps in crime fighting by being sent to stuff they should be nowhere near because there are not enough real Police Officers. In my experience a fair few are frustrated 'would be' Police. It's a joke role really ...
So far the main cause of people being sent to the wrong jobs is down to whoever takes the call at HQ. On more than one occassion I've suggested sending a PCSO and they instead will send a normal copper who has no idea about the area and cannot actually deal with the issue effectively. On other occassions I've given the police exact directions to catch a criminal and they not passed this information on and the police have gone the wrong way.
[quote][p][bold]RogerLFC[/bold] wrote: CSO's have got about 2 powers in most places. Pouring away booze in booze free zones. Or sorting out cycling. So they wake up and are faced with sorting out one of those. In reality they pseudo plug the gaps in crime fighting by being sent to stuff they should be nowhere near because there are not enough real Police Officers. In my experience a fair few are frustrated 'would be' Police. It's a joke role really ...[/p][/quote]So far the main cause of people being sent to the wrong jobs is down to whoever takes the call at HQ. On more than one occassion I've suggested sending a PCSO and they instead will send a normal copper who has no idea about the area and cannot actually deal with the issue effectively. On other occassions I've given the police exact directions to catch a criminal and they not passed this information on and the police have gone the wrong way. Geoff Roberts

12:30pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Geoff Roberts says...

Training and discipline in the police force appears to be very poor in general. I've witnessed several police (both PSCOs and normal police) not actually knowing what the law is on a subject which isn't that complex. How can these people be being given uniforms and powers to detect crime and uphold law when they don't even know what is a crime or not and what the law is!
Training and discipline in the police force appears to be very poor in general. I've witnessed several police (both PSCOs and normal police) not actually knowing what the law is on a subject which isn't that complex. How can these people be being given uniforms and powers to detect crime and uphold law when they don't even know what is a crime or not and what the law is! Geoff Roberts

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree