Oxford MailYouth club puts out a call for minibus drivers (From Oxford Mail)

Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us

Youth club puts out a call for minibus drivers

Oxford Mail: Youth worker Hannah Kinross Youth worker Hannah Kinross

AN OXFORD youth club has become so popular it is hoping to bus youngsters in from other parts of the city, but it needs volunteers to drive its minibus.

Wolvercote Young People’s Club provides a place for young people from the village to meet up and have fun.

Membership has more than trebled since the club employed a full-time youth worker in September – and now it is looking to get more young people along.

Youth worker Hannah Kinross said: “We are really well supported by volunteers but more people to help drive the bus would be great.

“We have a minibus but if we could get some kind of rota going then it would be easier for people to make a commitment.”

When Ms Kinross joined the club there were about 40 youngsters using it.

But that has risen to about 150 and there has been interest from other areas of the city, including Jericho.

Ms Kinross said: “We are their nearest facility but some young people may find it hard to get here.”

The Wolvercote club offers youngsters aged between seven and 19 the opportunity to take part in a wide range of activities including cooking and street dance.

The club, which was formed as a charity in 1939 by a group of parents and members of the community, has been hit by cuts in Oxfordshire County Council funding and faced closure in 2011.

The St Peter’s Road club meets on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday evenings, charging 50p a session.

Trustee Tony Hewlett said: “Anyone wanting to volunteer has got to like children but they have also got to hold a minibus licence and have a CRB check carried out.

“There is also an age limit of between 25 and 70.”

  •  Anyone willing to volunteer as a driver is asked to call 01865 559374.

Related links

Comments (43)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:41pm Mon 14 Jan 13

jamiek says...

A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help
A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help jamiek
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Mon 14 Jan 13

jamiek says...

sorry meant minibus licence
sorry meant minibus licence jamiek
  • Score: 0

2:54pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Grunden Skip says...

jamiek wrote:
A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help
That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving.
[quote][p][bold]jamiek[/bold] wrote: A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help[/p][/quote]That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving. Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Mon 14 Jan 13

King Joke says...

Paediatrician LOL!

Seriously though, the No 6 to Wolvercote runs all night, why not just get them to get the bus? Ask their parents to contibute to the fare and let the club contribute the rest.
Paediatrician LOL! Seriously though, the No 6 to Wolvercote runs all night, why not just get them to get the bus? Ask their parents to contibute to the fare and let the club contribute the rest. King Joke
  • Score: 0

3:58pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Grunden Skip says...

King Joke wrote:
Paediatrician LOL!

Seriously though, the No 6 to Wolvercote runs all night, why not just get them to get the bus? Ask their parents to contibute to the fare and let the club contribute the rest.
But that has risen to about 150 and there has been interest from other areas of the city, including Jericho.

Jericho, now that is a joke. The parents from there can just get out The Jag, and drive them to the club.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Paediatrician LOL! Seriously though, the No 6 to Wolvercote runs all night, why not just get them to get the bus? Ask their parents to contibute to the fare and let the club contribute the rest.[/p][/quote]But that has risen to about 150 and there has been interest from other areas of the city, including Jericho. Jericho, now that is a joke. The parents from there can just get out The Jag, and drive them to the club. Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Grunden Skip says...

King Joke wrote:
Paediatrician LOL!

Seriously though, the No 6 to Wolvercote runs all night, why not just get them to get the bus? Ask their parents to contibute to the fare and let the club contribute the rest.
King, just took the bus (usually use the car but it is in the garage) from Howard Street to Cowley Centre with my good lady wife and her two children (adults for bus pricing) it cost us £12.40 (£3.10 each) return, I thought that public transport was supposed to be a cheap way for normal people to travel. We could have got a cab for £8 return. No wonder Souter is one of the richest men in the world. £3.10 for a one mile return journey on a bus. And why it will be cheaper for the Jericho parents to get out The Jag. P.S. I loved the sign on the bus telling me that fares had been revised, do they think that us people in Cowley are stupid. Stop patronising us, and say FARES INCREASED.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Paediatrician LOL! Seriously though, the No 6 to Wolvercote runs all night, why not just get them to get the bus? Ask their parents to contibute to the fare and let the club contribute the rest.[/p][/quote]King, just took the bus (usually use the car but it is in the garage) from Howard Street to Cowley Centre with my good lady wife and her two children (adults for bus pricing) it cost us £12.40 (£3.10 each) return, I thought that public transport was supposed to be a cheap way for normal people to travel. We could have got a cab for £8 return. No wonder Souter is one of the richest men in the world. £3.10 for a one mile return journey on a bus. And why it will be cheaper for the Jericho parents to get out The Jag. P.S. I loved the sign on the bus telling me that fares had been revised, do they think that us people in Cowley are stupid. Stop patronising us, and say FARES INCREASED. Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Mon 14 Jan 13

King Joke says...

Children pay a half fare, and I was suggesting parents sharing costs with the club. The minibus would be cheaper, but only on the basis of finding free labour which, the article suggests, is hard to come by. If the youth club is as good as they say it is, the parents will be happy to put a quid or two towards their child's bus fare.

THere are always examples such as yours where you could save taking a cab. You're welcome to take one! THere are plenty of other occasions when you're not travelling in a group of adults when the bus offers a convenient turn-up-and-go service with no booking required, and no requirement to listen to Heart FM or inhale Magic Tree.
Children pay a half fare, and I was suggesting parents sharing costs with the club. The minibus would be cheaper, but only on the basis of finding free labour which, the article suggests, is hard to come by. If the youth club is as good as they say it is, the parents will be happy to put a quid or two towards their child's bus fare. THere are always examples such as yours where you could save taking a cab. You're welcome to take one! THere are plenty of other occasions when you're not travelling in a group of adults when the bus offers a convenient turn-up-and-go service with no booking required, and no requirement to listen to Heart FM or inhale Magic Tree. King Joke
  • Score: 0

4:30pm Mon 14 Jan 13

WitneyGreen says...

Do none of these children have bicycles?
Do none of these children have bicycles? WitneyGreen
  • Score: 0

5:02pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Grunden Skip says...

King Joke wrote:
Children pay a half fare, and I was suggesting parents sharing costs with the club. The minibus would be cheaper, but only on the basis of finding free labour which, the article suggests, is hard to come by. If the youth club is as good as they say it is, the parents will be happy to put a quid or two towards their child's bus fare.

THere are always examples such as yours where you could save taking a cab. You're welcome to take one! THere are plenty of other occasions when you're not travelling in a group of adults when the bus offers a convenient turn-up-and-go service with no booking required, and no requirement to listen to Heart FM or inhale Magic Tree.
£3.10 return from Howard St to Cowley Centre, C'Mon mate even you must agree that it is a rip off. Or at least agree now that buses are not public transport, but for profit businesses instead and as such should lose their "special" standing. That fare has nearly tripled in five years. P.S. What is your view on the patronising "fares revised" sign, why not tell us the truth. P.P.S. They are "children, as in can't vote, buy fags, or beer, but "adults" as far as stagecoach are concerned, can you explain that one to me please. To give you a clue the girl is 16 and the boy 17.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Children pay a half fare, and I was suggesting parents sharing costs with the club. The minibus would be cheaper, but only on the basis of finding free labour which, the article suggests, is hard to come by. If the youth club is as good as they say it is, the parents will be happy to put a quid or two towards their child's bus fare. THere are always examples such as yours where you could save taking a cab. You're welcome to take one! THere are plenty of other occasions when you're not travelling in a group of adults when the bus offers a convenient turn-up-and-go service with no booking required, and no requirement to listen to Heart FM or inhale Magic Tree.[/p][/quote]£3.10 return from Howard St to Cowley Centre, C'Mon mate even you must agree that it is a rip off. Or at least agree now that buses are not public transport, but for profit businesses instead and as such should lose their "special" standing. That fare has nearly tripled in five years. P.S. What is your view on the patronising "fares revised" sign, why not tell us the truth. P.P.S. They are "children, as in can't vote, buy fags, or beer, but "adults" as far as stagecoach are concerned, can you explain that one to me please. To give you a clue the girl is 16 and the boy 17. Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

5:30pm Mon 14 Jan 13

King Joke says...

I'm not saying it isn't expensive, but it's a selective example. There are plenty of other examples where the value is actually quite good. For someone living in Cowley or BBL, £15 is pretty good for travelling to work in the city centre, and all your leisure travel is then free, including the night bus.

I don't use the bus every day but the Any-5-Day product works out at £3/day. THere are no local shops where I live, so if I need to go to the Station, the Cowley Rd or the Botley Rd I usually have to change in town, so if I'm doing a couple of things like going to the vet's and then going shopping, £3 ain't at all bad for 5-6 journeys.
I'm not saying it isn't expensive, but it's a selective example. There are plenty of other examples where the value is actually quite good. For someone living in Cowley or BBL, £15 is pretty good for travelling to work in the city centre, and all your leisure travel is then free, including the night bus. I don't use the bus every day but the Any-5-Day product works out at £3/day. THere are no local shops where I live, so if I need to go to the Station, the Cowley Rd or the Botley Rd I usually have to change in town, so if I'm doing a couple of things like going to the vet's and then going shopping, £3 ain't at all bad for 5-6 journeys. King Joke
  • Score: 0

7:30pm Mon 14 Jan 13

Grunden Skip says...

King Joke wrote:
I'm not saying it isn't expensive, but it's a selective example. There are plenty of other examples where the value is actually quite good. For someone living in Cowley or BBL, £15 is pretty good for travelling to work in the city centre, and all your leisure travel is then free, including the night bus.

I don't use the bus every day but the Any-5-Day product works out at £3/day. THere are no local shops where I live, so if I need to go to the Station, the Cowley Rd or the Botley Rd I usually have to change in town, so if I'm doing a couple of things like going to the vet's and then going shopping, £3 ain't at all bad for 5-6 journeys.
No it is £3.10 return for a 1 mile round trip, or did you miss my point. No late night bus, or any other trip included. Just the return for the shopping trip.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: I'm not saying it isn't expensive, but it's a selective example. There are plenty of other examples where the value is actually quite good. For someone living in Cowley or BBL, £15 is pretty good for travelling to work in the city centre, and all your leisure travel is then free, including the night bus. I don't use the bus every day but the Any-5-Day product works out at £3/day. THere are no local shops where I live, so if I need to go to the Station, the Cowley Rd or the Botley Rd I usually have to change in town, so if I'm doing a couple of things like going to the vet's and then going shopping, £3 ain't at all bad for 5-6 journeys.[/p][/quote]No it is £3.10 return for a 1 mile round trip, or did you miss my point. No late night bus, or any other trip included. Just the return for the shopping trip. Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

8:10pm Mon 14 Jan 13

dant40 says...

Im sure If Jimmy saville was alive he would fix it.
Im sure If Jimmy saville was alive he would fix it. dant40
  • Score: 0

11:59pm Mon 14 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

Why are so many concerned with the business of a voluntary organisation looking for volunteers?

I get the impression people just like talking for the sake of it and deem anything they read as if they have some sort of investment in it that entitles them to pass comment.
Why are so many concerned with the business of a voluntary organisation looking for volunteers? I get the impression people just like talking for the sake of it and deem anything they read as if they have some sort of investment in it that entitles them to pass comment. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

12:02am Tue 15 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

Grunden Skip wrote:
jamiek wrote:
A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help
That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving.
The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?

And where does it say anything about not being able to find people? It's asking for people so we won't know if they can get anybody for a little while yet.

Does anybody actually read properly these days before gobbing off a load of ill informed opinionated nonsense?
[quote][p][bold]Grunden Skip[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jamiek[/bold] wrote: A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help[/p][/quote]That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving.[/p][/quote]The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say? And where does it say anything about not being able to find people? It's asking for people so we won't know if they can get anybody for a little while yet. Does anybody actually read properly these days before gobbing off a load of ill informed opinionated nonsense? DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

8:05am Tue 15 Jan 13

King Joke says...

Back on topic. THere are 150 kids attending. LEt's say 50 come from Wolvercote and can walk, and 100 come from Jericho, Summertown etc. A minibus has 16 seats. To cater for all of them a minibus would have to make six return trips. Let's say each return trip would take 15 minutes, so the whole exercise would take 75 min.

It would take a lot longer if they were picked up from their doors, so you'd have to have agreed pick up points with a set time given for each. If more than 16 kids turned up at one point, you'd need to leave them behind and tell them to walk to the next pick up, assuming there weren't 16 kids there as well.

It's all very complicated, and much simpler just to get them to get on the local bus that can accommodate the lot, and runs every 15-20 mins.

Grunden, you missed my point, which was that your example was selective.
Back on topic. THere are 150 kids attending. LEt's say 50 come from Wolvercote and can walk, and 100 come from Jericho, Summertown etc. A minibus has 16 seats. To cater for all of them a minibus would have to make six return trips. Let's say each return trip would take 15 minutes, so the whole exercise would take 75 min. It would take a lot longer if they were picked up from their doors, so you'd have to have agreed pick up points with a set time given for each. If more than 16 kids turned up at one point, you'd need to leave them behind and tell them to walk to the next pick up, assuming there weren't 16 kids there as well. It's all very complicated, and much simpler just to get them to get on the local bus that can accommodate the lot, and runs every 15-20 mins. Grunden, you missed my point, which was that your example was selective. King Joke
  • Score: 0

10:00am Tue 15 Jan 13

King Joke says...

Oh, I haven't got a downer on minibuses nor voluntary organisations. A minibus would be ideal in an isolated rural area with no transport. We're talking here, however, of a large town with decent PT, which is perfectly adequate for transporting these kids to the facilities they want.
Oh, I haven't got a downer on minibuses nor voluntary organisations. A minibus would be ideal in an isolated rural area with no transport. We're talking here, however, of a large town with decent PT, which is perfectly adequate for transporting these kids to the facilities they want. King Joke
  • Score: 0

2:05pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Lord Palmerstone says...

"The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?"
Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless.
PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.
"The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?" Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless. PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Grunden Skip says...

DoctorBob wrote:
Grunden Skip wrote:
jamiek wrote:
A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help
That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving.
The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?

And where does it say anything about not being able to find people? It's asking for people so we won't know if they can get anybody for a little while yet.

Does anybody actually read properly these days before gobbing off a load of ill informed opinionated nonsense?
No, Dr Bob, because if you look outside of your "social worker" brainwashing, you will see that nearly all crimes of the nature that you mention are done by people that would pass a CRB, as most are first offenders. And yes we do read the stories, it is just that we read them a bit differently to you, it does not make us wrong And King we did get a bit off subject there, but bus fares are a rip off in Oxford.
[quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grunden Skip[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jamiek[/bold] wrote: A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help[/p][/quote]That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving.[/p][/quote]The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say? And where does it say anything about not being able to find people? It's asking for people so we won't know if they can get anybody for a little while yet. Does anybody actually read properly these days before gobbing off a load of ill informed opinionated nonsense?[/p][/quote]No, Dr Bob, because if you look outside of your "social worker" brainwashing, you will see that nearly all crimes of the nature that you mention are done by people that would pass a CRB, as most are first offenders. And yes we do read the stories, it is just that we read them a bit differently to you, it does not make us wrong And King we did get a bit off subject there, but bus fares are a rip off in Oxford. Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

9:26pm Tue 15 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

King Joke wrote:
Back on topic. THere are 150 kids attending. LEt's say 50 come from Wolvercote and can walk, and 100 come from Jericho, Summertown etc. A minibus has 16 seats. To cater for all of them a minibus would have to make six return trips. Let's say each return trip would take 15 minutes, so the whole exercise would take 75 min.

It would take a lot longer if they were picked up from their doors, so you'd have to have agreed pick up points with a set time given for each. If more than 16 kids turned up at one point, you'd need to leave them behind and tell them to walk to the next pick up, assuming there weren't 16 kids there as well.

It's all very complicated, and much simpler just to get them to get on the local bus that can accommodate the lot, and runs every 15-20 mins.

Grunden, you missed my point, which was that your example was selective.
Having no clue as to how they plan to carry out this operation renders your guesswork completely redundant. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time?
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Back on topic. THere are 150 kids attending. LEt's say 50 come from Wolvercote and can walk, and 100 come from Jericho, Summertown etc. A minibus has 16 seats. To cater for all of them a minibus would have to make six return trips. Let's say each return trip would take 15 minutes, so the whole exercise would take 75 min. It would take a lot longer if they were picked up from their doors, so you'd have to have agreed pick up points with a set time given for each. If more than 16 kids turned up at one point, you'd need to leave them behind and tell them to walk to the next pick up, assuming there weren't 16 kids there as well. It's all very complicated, and much simpler just to get them to get on the local bus that can accommodate the lot, and runs every 15-20 mins. Grunden, you missed my point, which was that your example was selective.[/p][/quote]Having no clue as to how they plan to carry out this operation renders your guesswork completely redundant. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time? DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

9:27pm Tue 15 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

King Joke wrote:
Oh, I haven't got a downer on minibuses nor voluntary organisations. A minibus would be ideal in an isolated rural area with no transport. We're talking here, however, of a large town with decent PT, which is perfectly adequate for transporting these kids to the facilities they want.
Do you also comment on what route your neighbours choose to take to work?

In all seriousness, what business is it of yours?
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Oh, I haven't got a downer on minibuses nor voluntary organisations. A minibus would be ideal in an isolated rural area with no transport. We're talking here, however, of a large town with decent PT, which is perfectly adequate for transporting these kids to the facilities they want.[/p][/quote]Do you also comment on what route your neighbours choose to take to work? In all seriousness, what business is it of yours? DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

9:30pm Tue 15 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

Lord Palmerstone wrote:
"The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?"
Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless.
PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.
I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord.

Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: "The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?" Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless. PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.[/p][/quote]I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord. Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

9:39pm Tue 15 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

Grunden Skip wrote:
DoctorBob wrote:
Grunden Skip wrote:
jamiek wrote:
A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help
That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving.
The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?

And where does it say anything about not being able to find people? It's asking for people so we won't know if they can get anybody for a little while yet.

Does anybody actually read properly these days before gobbing off a load of ill informed opinionated nonsense?
No, Dr Bob, because if you look outside of your "social worker" brainwashing, you will see that nearly all crimes of the nature that you mention are done by people that would pass a CRB, as most are first offenders. And yes we do read the stories, it is just that we read them a bit differently to you, it does not make us wrong And King we did get a bit off subject there, but bus fares are a rip off in Oxford.
Why do talk as if you know what my profession is? Have I ever told you? Has anyone else ever told you? Stop making nonsense up to suit your argument.

As for your 'fact' about "nearly all crimes", more made up rubbish.

The post by jamiek was wrong regardless of how he read it. He read it wrong.
[quote][p][bold]Grunden Skip[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grunden Skip[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jamiek[/bold] wrote: A minibus and a crb check no wonder nobody wants to help[/p][/quote]That is the problem nowadays with trying to help, everybody thinks that you are a pediatrician, hence the need for all those checks, if you have to go to all that hassle you might as well get paid for your driving.[/p][/quote]The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say? And where does it say anything about not being able to find people? It's asking for people so we won't know if they can get anybody for a little while yet. Does anybody actually read properly these days before gobbing off a load of ill informed opinionated nonsense?[/p][/quote]No, Dr Bob, because if you look outside of your "social worker" brainwashing, you will see that nearly all crimes of the nature that you mention are done by people that would pass a CRB, as most are first offenders. And yes we do read the stories, it is just that we read them a bit differently to you, it does not make us wrong And King we did get a bit off subject there, but bus fares are a rip off in Oxford.[/p][/quote]Why do talk as if you know what my profession is? Have I ever told you? Has anyone else ever told you? Stop making nonsense up to suit your argument. As for your 'fact' about "nearly all crimes", more made up rubbish. The post by jamiek was wrong regardless of how he read it. He read it wrong. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

8:00am Wed 16 Jan 13

King Joke says...

DoctorBob wrote:
King Joke wrote: Back on topic. THere are 150 kids attending. LEt's say 50 come from Wolvercote and can walk, and 100 come from Jericho, Summertown etc. A minibus has 16 seats. To cater for all of them a minibus would have to make six return trips. Let's say each return trip would take 15 minutes, so the whole exercise would take 75 min. It would take a lot longer if they were picked up from their doors, so you'd have to have agreed pick up points with a set time given for each. If more than 16 kids turned up at one point, you'd need to leave them behind and tell them to walk to the next pick up, assuming there weren't 16 kids there as well. It's all very complicated, and much simpler just to get them to get on the local bus that can accommodate the lot, and runs every 15-20 mins. Grunden, you missed my point, which was that your example was selective.
Having no clue as to how they plan to carry out this operation renders your guesswork completely redundant. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time?
Please then explain how you transport ca 100 kids in a 16-seat minibus. I'm all ears mate.
[quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: Back on topic. THere are 150 kids attending. LEt's say 50 come from Wolvercote and can walk, and 100 come from Jericho, Summertown etc. A minibus has 16 seats. To cater for all of them a minibus would have to make six return trips. Let's say each return trip would take 15 minutes, so the whole exercise would take 75 min. It would take a lot longer if they were picked up from their doors, so you'd have to have agreed pick up points with a set time given for each. If more than 16 kids turned up at one point, you'd need to leave them behind and tell them to walk to the next pick up, assuming there weren't 16 kids there as well. It's all very complicated, and much simpler just to get them to get on the local bus that can accommodate the lot, and runs every 15-20 mins. Grunden, you missed my point, which was that your example was selective.[/p][/quote]Having no clue as to how they plan to carry out this operation renders your guesswork completely redundant. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time?[/p][/quote]Please then explain how you transport ca 100 kids in a 16-seat minibus. I'm all ears mate. King Joke
  • Score: 0

10:45am Wed 16 Jan 13

Andrew:Oxford says...

If the co-ordinator is working full time, perhaps it would be a better idea to lease a hall elsewhere in the city on other nights of the week?

Save the trouble with the minibus (which are always money-pits for groups).
If the co-ordinator is working full time, perhaps it would be a better idea to lease a hall elsewhere in the city on other nights of the week? Save the trouble with the minibus (which are always money-pits for groups). Andrew:Oxford
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Lord Palmerstone says...

DoctorBob wrote:
Lord Palmerstone wrote:
"The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?"
Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless.
PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.
I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord.

Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists.
It's you who said you worked with the homeless all your life, not me. Technically you may have a different job title but social worker is close enough. And funnily enough my work takes me very near to CRB checks so, unlike you, I actually know they're worthless. However they are a form of displacement activity for the half educated CRB employees and harmless enough if you don't trust them.
[quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: "The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?" Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless. PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.[/p][/quote]I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord. Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists.[/p][/quote]It's you who said you worked with the homeless all your life, not me. Technically you may have a different job title but social worker is close enough. And funnily enough my work takes me very near to CRB checks so, unlike you, I actually know they're worthless. However they are a form of displacement activity for the half educated CRB employees and harmless enough if you don't trust them. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: 0

6:47pm Wed 16 Jan 13

oafie says...

Why are the parents not helping out?
Why are the parents not helping out? oafie
  • Score: 0

8:49am Thu 17 Jan 13

King Joke says...

Teenage kids should learn to be independent and not hang onto the apron strings. Giving them a quid towards the bus fare and telling them to jolly well get on with it is doing them much more of a favour than giving them a lift.
Teenage kids should learn to be independent and not hang onto the apron strings. Giving them a quid towards the bus fare and telling them to jolly well get on with it is doing them much more of a favour than giving them a lift. King Joke
  • Score: 0

10:22am Fri 18 Jan 13

gree0115 says...

According to https://www.gov.uk/d
riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".
According to https://www.gov.uk/d riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit". gree0115
  • Score: 0

3:55pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

So many opinions based on guesswork and prejudice.

Nowhere in the report does it say it's to transport teenagers.

Nowhere in the report does it say over 100 kids will be transported on one go.

The ONLY thing it says in direct relation to using a minibus is that 'some young people may find it hard to get here'. It doesn't say from Jericho, it doesn't say teenagers and it doesn't say all at once.

It might actually be referring to 7 year olds without access to a car not being on their own on a bus on a Friday night when half of you lot are tanked up going to town and letting the whole bus know about it.

If only people would actually read things properly before piping in with their silly nonsense.
So many opinions based on guesswork and prejudice. Nowhere in the report does it say it's to transport teenagers. Nowhere in the report does it say over 100 kids will be transported on one go. The ONLY thing it says in direct relation to using a minibus is that 'some young people may find it hard to get here'. It doesn't say from Jericho, it doesn't say teenagers and it doesn't say all at once. It might actually be referring to 7 year olds without access to a car not being on their own on a bus on a Friday night when half of you lot are tanked up going to town and letting the whole bus know about it. If only people would actually read things properly before piping in with their silly nonsense. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

3:57pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

So many opinions based on guesswork and prejudice.

Nowhere in the report does it say it's to transport teenagers.

Nowhere in the report does it say over 100 kids will be transported on one go.

The ONLY thing it says in direct relation to using a minibus is that 'some young people may find it hard to get here'. It doesn't say from Jericho, it doesn't say teenagers and it doesn't say all at once.

It might actually be referring to 7 year olds without access to a car not being on their own on a bus on a Friday night when half of you lot are tanked up going to town and letting the whole bus know about it.

If only people would actually read things properly before piping in with their silly nonsense.
So many opinions based on guesswork and prejudice. Nowhere in the report does it say it's to transport teenagers. Nowhere in the report does it say over 100 kids will be transported on one go. The ONLY thing it says in direct relation to using a minibus is that 'some young people may find it hard to get here'. It doesn't say from Jericho, it doesn't say teenagers and it doesn't say all at once. It might actually be referring to 7 year olds without access to a car not being on their own on a bus on a Friday night when half of you lot are tanked up going to town and letting the whole bus know about it. If only people would actually read things properly before piping in with their silly nonsense. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

4:00pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

So many opinions based on guesswork and prejudice.

Nowhere in the report does it say it's to transport teenagers.

Nowhere in the report does it say over 100 kids will be transported on one go.

The ONLY thing it says in direct relation to using a minibus is that 'some young people may find it hard to get here'. It doesn't say from Jericho, it doesn't say teenagers and it doesn't say all at once.

It might actually be referring to 7 year olds without access to a car not being on their own on a bus on a Friday night when half of you lot are tanked up going to town and letting the whole bus know about it.

If only people would actually read things properly before piping in with their silly nonsense.
So many opinions based on guesswork and prejudice. Nowhere in the report does it say it's to transport teenagers. Nowhere in the report does it say over 100 kids will be transported on one go. The ONLY thing it says in direct relation to using a minibus is that 'some young people may find it hard to get here'. It doesn't say from Jericho, it doesn't say teenagers and it doesn't say all at once. It might actually be referring to 7 year olds without access to a car not being on their own on a bus on a Friday night when half of you lot are tanked up going to town and letting the whole bus know about it. If only people would actually read things properly before piping in with their silly nonsense. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

4:04pm Fri 18 Jan 13

King Joke says...

It does mention Jericho, in fact it is the only place mentioned. As it is the only place mentioned, this suggests it is the place they are wanting to transport kids from.

Fair comment about seven-year-old kids, but anyone old enough to attend secondary school, ie from eleven up, should be able to ride a bus, after all some of them will get to school this way. People may be tanked at 0100, but not at 2100 when kids were coming back from a youth club.
It does mention Jericho, in fact it is the only place mentioned. As it is the only place mentioned, this suggests it is the place they are wanting to transport kids from. Fair comment about seven-year-old kids, but anyone old enough to attend secondary school, ie from eleven up, should be able to ride a bus, after all some of them will get to school this way. People may be tanked at 0100, but not at 2100 when kids were coming back from a youth club. King Joke
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

King Joke wrote:
It does mention Jericho, in fact it is the only place mentioned. As it is the only place mentioned, this suggests it is the place they are wanting to transport kids from.

Fair comment about seven-year-old kids, but anyone old enough to attend secondary school, ie from eleven up, should be able to ride a bus, after all some of them will get to school this way. People may be tanked at 0100, but not at 2100 when kids were coming back from a youth club.
It actually says interest from different parts of the city including Jericho. How you manipulate that is up to you but it says what it says and not what you've twisted it into.

You aren't being serious about no one on a 9pm bus going to town on a Friday night being tanked up are you?
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: It does mention Jericho, in fact it is the only place mentioned. As it is the only place mentioned, this suggests it is the place they are wanting to transport kids from. Fair comment about seven-year-old kids, but anyone old enough to attend secondary school, ie from eleven up, should be able to ride a bus, after all some of them will get to school this way. People may be tanked at 0100, but not at 2100 when kids were coming back from a youth club.[/p][/quote]It actually says interest from different parts of the city including Jericho. How you manipulate that is up to you but it says what it says and not what you've twisted it into. You aren't being serious about no one on a 9pm bus going to town on a Friday night being tanked up are you? DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

gree0115 wrote:
According to https://www.gov.uk/d

riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".
Another illiterate. Re read the info in the link you posted. It does not say what you have posted. The thing with evidence is that it needs to say what you claim it says.
[quote][p][bold]gree0115[/bold] wrote: According to https://www.gov.uk/d riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".[/p][/quote]Another illiterate. Re read the info in the link you posted. It does not say what you have posted. The thing with evidence is that it needs to say what you claim it says. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

4:37pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

Lord Palmerstone wrote:
DoctorBob wrote:
Lord Palmerstone wrote:
"The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?"
Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless.
PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.
I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord.

Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists.
It's you who said you worked with the homeless all your life, not me. Technically you may have a different job title but social worker is close enough. And funnily enough my work takes me very near to CRB checks so, unlike you, I actually know they're worthless. However they are a form of displacement activity for the half educated CRB employees and harmless enough if you don't trust them.
Another that twists and invents truths.
I did not say what you claim and you've invented a title for me that you've used as fact to attack me. Very disingenuous my lord.

I can also claim to have working knowledge of CRB's and your earlier claim about them flies in the face of you having knowledge of them.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: "The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?" Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless. PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.[/p][/quote]I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord. Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists.[/p][/quote]It's you who said you worked with the homeless all your life, not me. Technically you may have a different job title but social worker is close enough. And funnily enough my work takes me very near to CRB checks so, unlike you, I actually know they're worthless. However they are a form of displacement activity for the half educated CRB employees and harmless enough if you don't trust them.[/p][/quote]Another that twists and invents truths. I did not say what you claim and you've invented a title for me that you've used as fact to attack me. Very disingenuous my lord. I can also claim to have working knowledge of CRB's and your earlier claim about them flies in the face of you having knowledge of them. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

4:38pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

Lord Palmerstone wrote:
DoctorBob wrote:
Lord Palmerstone wrote:
"The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?"
Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless.
PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.
I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord.

Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists.
It's you who said you worked with the homeless all your life, not me. Technically you may have a different job title but social worker is close enough. And funnily enough my work takes me very near to CRB checks so, unlike you, I actually know they're worthless. However they are a form of displacement activity for the half educated CRB employees and harmless enough if you don't trust them.
Another that twists and invents truths.
I did not say what you claim and you've invented a title for me that you've used as fact to attack me. Very disingenuous my lord.

I can also claim to have working knowledge of CRB's and your earlier claim about them flies in the face of you having knowledge of them.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: "The need for all those checks appears to be well justified given all the recent stories coming out wouldn't you say?" Well it might, social worker, except for the fact it doesn't use fingerprints so in urban areas, where names are a moveable feast, like Oxford, it's meaningless. PS JS would have got a clean CRB check, with or without prints.[/p][/quote]I see you have turned your incorrect guesswork into nailed on fact now. I'm not a Social Worker my lord. Anyway, back to the real world, you appear to have no knowledge or understanding of how a CRB works my lord but I'm sure you could blame the Socialists.[/p][/quote]It's you who said you worked with the homeless all your life, not me. Technically you may have a different job title but social worker is close enough. And funnily enough my work takes me very near to CRB checks so, unlike you, I actually know they're worthless. However they are a form of displacement activity for the half educated CRB employees and harmless enough if you don't trust them.[/p][/quote]Another that twists and invents truths. I did not say what you claim and you've invented a title for me that you've used as fact to attack me. Very disingenuous my lord. I can also claim to have working knowledge of CRB's and your earlier claim about them flies in the face of you having knowledge of them. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Fri 18 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

That, of course, should read CRBs not CRB's.
That, of course, should read CRBs not CRB's. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

9:07pm Fri 18 Jan 13

gree0115 says...

DoctorBob wrote:
gree0115 wrote:
According to https://www.gov.uk/d


riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".
Another illiterate. Re read the info in the link you posted. It does not say what you have posted. The thing with evidence is that it needs to say what you claim it says.
DrBob, unlike you I am not a bitter and twisted cynic.. I offered my suggestion as it may assist the group getting a driver. They may not necessarily need to have a minibus licence as the group is a charity.
[quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gree0115[/bold] wrote: According to https://www.gov.uk/d riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".[/p][/quote]Another illiterate. Re read the info in the link you posted. It does not say what you have posted. The thing with evidence is that it needs to say what you claim it says.[/p][/quote]DrBob, unlike you I am not a bitter and twisted cynic.. I offered my suggestion as it may assist the group getting a driver. They may not necessarily need to have a minibus licence as the group is a charity. gree0115
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Fri 18 Jan 13

gree0115 says...

You may be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers.
You may be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers. gree0115
  • Score: 0

12:31am Sat 19 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

gree0115 wrote:
You may be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers.
gree0115 says...
10:22am Fri 18 Jan 13

According to https://www.gov.uk/d

riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".

Spot the difference.
[quote][p][bold]gree0115[/bold] wrote: You may be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers.[/p][/quote]gree0115 says... 10:22am Fri 18 Jan 13 According to https://www.gov.uk/d riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit". Spot the difference. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

12:38am Sat 19 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

gree0115 wrote:
DoctorBob wrote:
gree0115 wrote:
According to https://www.gov.uk/d



riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".
Another illiterate. Re read the info in the link you posted. It does not say what you have posted. The thing with evidence is that it needs to say what you claim it says.
DrBob, unlike you I am not a bitter and twisted cynic.. I offered my suggestion as it may assist the group getting a driver. They may not necessarily need to have a minibus licence as the group is a charity.
What am I being cynical about, your shift shaping 'facts'?

They 'need' a minibus licence because they want one. They want one because they will be transporting young children around and it may also be a requirement for insurance purposes.

They've been around since 1939 so I'm guessing they are well aware of their requirements.

If you wish to help then volunteer.
[quote][p][bold]gree0115[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DoctorBob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gree0115[/bold] wrote: According to https://www.gov.uk/d riving-a-minibus you don't need a minibus driving licence if it's "not for profit".[/p][/quote]Another illiterate. Re read the info in the link you posted. It does not say what you have posted. The thing with evidence is that it needs to say what you claim it says.[/p][/quote]DrBob, unlike you I am not a bitter and twisted cynic.. I offered my suggestion as it may assist the group getting a driver. They may not necessarily need to have a minibus licence as the group is a charity.[/p][/quote]What am I being cynical about, your shift shaping 'facts'? They 'need' a minibus licence because they want one. They want one because they will be transporting young children around and it may also be a requirement for insurance purposes. They've been around since 1939 so I'm guessing they are well aware of their requirements. If you wish to help then volunteer. DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

12:39am Sat 19 Jan 13

DoctorBob says...

p.s. The kids pay 50p or did you miss that one?
p.s. The kids pay 50p or did you miss that one? DoctorBob
  • Score: 0

6:37pm Sat 19 Jan 13

Grunden Skip says...

For hire and reward. IE Taxi/Bus service, whether profitable or not, you need a licence. Volunteer, is still up in the air, as there is no legal definition, or precedent to cover the mini-bus driver, so as to be safe for insurance purposes The Club are edging on the safe side. Just imagine in the case of an accident and the insurance does not pay out???
For hire and reward. IE Taxi/Bus service, whether profitable or not, you need a licence. Volunteer, is still up in the air, as there is no legal definition, or precedent to cover the mini-bus driver, so as to be safe for insurance purposes The Club are edging on the safe side. Just imagine in the case of an accident and the insurance does not pay out??? Grunden Skip
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree