Oxford MailWoman escapes from house blaze (From Oxford Mail)

Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us

Woman escapes from house blaze

Oxford Mail: The house at Plantation Road. PIcture: Jessica Mann The house at Plantation Road. PIcture: Jessica Mann

NEIGHBOURS described how a fierce blaze tore through a two-storey Oxford house.

Firefighters were called to a terraced property in Plantation Road, Walton Manor, at 12.30am yesterday.

They were confronted by a blaze which is believed to have started in an open fireplace in the house’s living room.

It took 10 firefighters in breathing masks around four hours to put out the blaze and the building was badly damaged by smoke and flames.

The property’s only occupant, a woman in her 50s, had escaped by the time firefighters arrived.

She was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital, in Oxford, suffering smoke inhalation.

The charred remains of a chair, television, books and pictures were removed from the house by the fire service.

Sheila Hallas, 64, lives opposite and said: “It woke me up and I went out straight away to find out what was happening.

“You could see the smoke and flames inside, it looked very bad.

“My main concern was that the woman who lives there was all right, but I hear she is recovering well.”

Related links

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree