Sun rays on shaving mirror spark fire

First published in Bicester

THE sun’s rays reflecting off a shaving mirror and onto a curtain is believed to have been the cause of a house fire in Bicester.

Three fire engines and 18 firefighters were called to the blaze in a back bedroom of a house in Lily Close at 9.50am on Friday.

No-one was at home at the time and neighbours were unaffected.

Firefighters were alerted by neighbours who saw smoke coming from a window.

Crew manager Douglas Whitford from Bicester Fire Station said: “Although the house was fitted with working smoke alarms it was very fortunate the neighbours spotted the smoke and immediately dialled 999 otherwise the damage could have been a lot worse.”

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was quickly brought under control as a fire engine arrived within minutes and immediately deployed a crew wearing breathing apparatus who used a high pressure hose.

A Fire and Emergency Support Services unit supplied by the Red Cross also attended the scene.

Related links

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree