Oxford MailChurch candles start blaze near altar (From Oxford Mail)

Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us

Church candles start blaze near altar

CANDLES near an altar started a fire in an Oxfordshire church.

Firefighters were call to St Peters Church in Deddington at 5.15pm on Sunday.

Two fire engines from Banbury were sent to the scene and discovered a fire involving tea light candles placed on a table in front of the church altar.

Two church helpers who discovered the fire managed to put it out with a fire extinguisher but inhaled some of the smoke and had to be treated by paramedics.

Firefighters had to use high pressure fans to ventilate the church because of the amount of smoke caused by the blaze.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:34am Tue 6 Nov 12

Myron Blatz says...

How come churches -buildings used by the public - are not included under H&S legislation? Naked flames can and do cause fires, and insurance companies come down like a ton of bricks on things like this - or, perhaps, could this have been arson, like we recently saw happening in Littlemore, where people's sheds were being set alight by mindless vandals?
How come churches -buildings used by the public - are not included under H&S legislation? Naked flames can and do cause fires, and insurance companies come down like a ton of bricks on things like this - or, perhaps, could this have been arson, like we recently saw happening in Littlemore, where people's sheds were being set alight by mindless vandals? Myron Blatz
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree