TWO men stabbed in Rose Hill were recovering in hospital last night.
An 18-year-old was stabbed in his chest and a 22-year-old in the chest and back at a house in The Oval shortly after 7pm on Monday.
They both ran from the house; the younger is believed to have taken refuge at a house in Nowell Road, the older at a house in Wynbush Road.
Both were taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Headington by ambulance but neither was thought to be in a life-threatening condition.
Thames Valley Police were called shortly after 7.30pm.
One Wynbush Road resident said she heard a man scream “I’ve been stabbed” at about 7.30pm, but when she looked out the window he had gone.
It is understood the 22-year-old was taken into a house in the road and bandaged up before an ambulance arrived.
Det Insp Louise Roddy said: “I am appealing for witnesses who saw what happened or who may have seen people running away from The Oval at around the time of the incident to speak to police.
“It is believed the victims were known to the offender.
“Police take incidents of this nature seriously and detectives are currently working to establish the circumstances of what happened. Officers have been carrying out house-to-house enquiries in the area and anyone with any concerns can approach an officer.”
Another Wynbush Road resident said they wanted to see a greater police presence on the streets. The man, who did not want to be named, said: “There have been a lot of problems here lately.
“It appears to me there isn’t a joined-up approach to dealing with problems on this estate. It is not just this road, it’s all over Rose Hill. We also get a lot of anti-social behaviour.
“Policing is about prevention, but you don’t see police walking around any more, and people don’t feel as safe.”
Anyone with information should call Thames Valley Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
- Police have arrested a 19-year-old Oxford man on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
- He was being held in police custody as the Oxford Mail went to press last night.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5