AN NHS facility where an Oxford teenager died will not reopen according to the health trust that runs it.
Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust plans to close two units that make up Slade House, Horspath Driftway, Headington.
Headington teenager Connor Sparrowhawk, 18, died following a reported epileptic fit while taking a bath on July 4 last year.
An independent report said 15-minute checks on the teenager – who had autism and epilepsy – were too infrequent.
It said his overall assessments when he arrived at the unit were poor and his death could have been prevented.
Admissions closed in September following concerns from Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspectors.
Two patients have since left and the unit is now empty.
A November CQC report raised concerns about nurses not interacting with patients, faulty equipment and unsafe dispensing of medicines.
Seven members of staff are under formal investigation and a serious case review will take place.
Slade House comprises the Short Term Assessment and Treatment Team unit (STATT), where Connor was a resident, and John Sharich House (JSH).
A March re-inspection of JSH said four out of five key standards were being met, but concerns remained about respecting and involving patients.
Trust spokesman Nicola Bliss said: “It is our intention not to reopen JSH and STATT to admissions in the future.
“Before any final decision is made we will be talking to patients, families and carers, staff, and stakeholders to ask for their views.”
Oxford East Labour MP Andrew Smith said a new provider should be brought in.
He said: “I am concerned that people with learning disabilities need the right care and support now, and it’s very worrying how things are dragging on over the future of the units.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
8:30am Saturday 29th August 2015
A TOP transplant surgeon has backed the Oxford Mail organ donation campaign saying more donors are needed than ever before.
9:00am Saturday 29th August 2015
A RAPIST who disappeared before his trial to escape justice is believed to have had a second passport he could have used to flee the country.
8:00am Saturday 29th August 2015
MOVING tributes were paid to Carole Roberts yesterday at the former Lord Mayor of Oxford’s funeral.
7:00am Saturday 29th August 2015
SEVEN men have appeared in court accused of a catalogue of sex offences against children including raping underage girls.
6:30am Saturday 29th August 2015
PLANS for an Oxford Garden City could return as the Vale looks to accommodate 4,000 new homes.
6:00am Saturday 29th August 2015
FULL plans have been revealed for 140 new homes in Littlemore near Heyford Hill Sainsbury’s.