London firm to work on £5m gallery revamp

Director Paul Hobson outside Modern Art Oxford

Director Paul Hobson outside Modern Art Oxford

First published in News

A LONDON-based construction firm has been chosen to undertake the £5.1m refurbishment of Modern Art Oxford in 2017.

The Pembroke Street gallery has already been handed £3.5m from the Government-funded Arts Council England for the work, with the gallery raising the rest.

And it announced this week that RISE, the construction firm which built the Serpentine Sackler Gallery, in Kensington Gardens, London, will take on the project.

RISE director Gareth Stapleton said: “We have a culture of working collaboratively across all industry sectors and are delighted to be working with Modern Art Oxford to help them achieve its future aspirations.”

In plans announced last month, gallery officials said they planned to close the venue in 2017, reopening in 2018.

Director Paul Hobson said during that period, it would hold a number of exhibitions in venues across Oxford.

The revamp will see a lift and staircase installed through the centre of the building to open up higher floors to the public plus a new entrance on St Ebbe’s.

It is hoped the improvements will double the gallery’s visitor numbers to more than 200,000 a year.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Oxfordshire ambulance services accused of "playing god" and "putting lives at risk" in new drug trial

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 27th January 2015

CARDIAC arrest patients could be given a salt solution instead of adrenaline as part of a new medical trial in Oxfordshire.

Boy approached by man in blue van in Bicester

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

2:15pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

A 15-year-old boy was approached by a man in a blue van in Bicester yesterday

Station worker Steve Cross's funeral held next week

Oxford Mail:

12:49pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

THE funeral of an Oxford Railway Station staff member will be held next week.

Trial told how girl came home ‘bleeding’

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

12:43pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

THE foster mother of the alleged victim of child prostitution told a jury yesterday how her daughter was sent across the country for sex.

Former headteacher from Oxford had "fascination with bottoms of young boys" court hears

Oxford Mail: Scales of Justice

12:40pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

A former headmaster carried out sex attacks on boys with special needs aged as young as 10, a court has heard.

More than 300 people sign petition against Marine Le Pen at Oxford Union

Oxford Mail: The Oxford Union

12:40pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

MORE than 300 people have signed an open letter urging the Oxford Union to cancel its invitation to controversial French politician Marine Le Pen to speak in the city.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree