FORKED lightning and rumbling thunder rolled across the Oxfordshire sky this morning as the muggy weather created a spectacular storm.
- The first five images are from our old friend Mary Spicer at Tackley at about 2.30am
The bangs and flashes woke many as the storm moved across the county between 2am and 4am.
The dramatic weather hit as the county swelters through an incredible heat wave. Temperatures today are expected to hit highs of 28C, with weather stations already reporting 19C just before 8am.
Oxfordshire can expect to bathe in sunshine for the rest of today, but rain is forecast at around 10pm.
- Here's a 10-minute video from Mark Jones - liking the soundtrack too
- Daniel Theobold sent these two in from Abingdon
- And Karen Modo-Hogg sent in this shot
- Peter Silver from Fringford took this picture at around 3am this morning
- Sarah Foulks sent in this shot, from West Oxfordshire, we believe
- Craig Cowley sent these two pictures in
Lorraine O'Callaghan from Milton Heights sent us this montage of the lightning strikes
- Andy Smith took this picture at Cogges in Witney at 2am
- Did you get any pictures of the lightning where you were? Send us your shots at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet them to @TheOxfordMail.
Our top stories
3:57pm Friday 19th September 2014
A CYCLIST who sexually harassed two women this morning is being hunted by police.
3:19pm Friday 19th September 2014
A CHANGEOVER in the traffic system at Oxford’s Kennington Roundabout is to be delayed by four weeks, to mid-October.
1:50pm Friday 19th September 2014
THE inaugural OxfordOxford festival has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales and uncertainty with a booked artist, organisers have said today.
8:30am Friday 19th September 2014
AN ALCOHOLIC who kicked a woman’s head like she was “taking a penalty” has been jailed.
8:00am Friday 19th September 2014
A HOME Office minister has admitted that social services and police officers should have been co-operating “for years” to stamp out child sexual exploitation.