FORKED lightning and rumbling thunder rolled across the Oxfordshire sky this morning as the muggy weather created a spectacular storm.
- The first five images are from our old friend Mary Spicer at Tackley at about 2.30am
The bangs and flashes woke many as the storm moved across the county between 2am and 4am.
The dramatic weather hit as the county swelters through an incredible heat wave. Temperatures today are expected to hit highs of 28C, with weather stations already reporting 19C just before 8am.
Oxfordshire can expect to bathe in sunshine for the rest of today, but rain is forecast at around 10pm.
- Here's a 10-minute video from Mark Jones - liking the soundtrack too
- Daniel Theobold sent these two in from Abingdon
- And Karen Modo-Hogg sent in this shot
- Peter Silver from Fringford took this picture at around 3am this morning
- Sarah Foulks sent in this shot, from West Oxfordshire, we believe
- Craig Cowley sent these two pictures in
Lorraine O'Callaghan from Milton Heights sent us this montage of the lightning strikes
- Andy Smith took this picture at Cogges in Witney at 2am
- Did you get any pictures of the lightning where you were? Send us your shots at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet them to @TheOxfordMail.
Our top stories
3:05pm Friday 6th March 2015
TWO men have been taken to John Radcliffe hospital following a six-vehicle crash on the A34 Northbound at the Peartree Interchange..
2:44pm Friday 6th March 2015
TEENAGER Robert Blackwell has pleaded guilty to causing the death of Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker.
9:00am Friday 6th March 2015
FRAUDSTERS in Oxford raked in almost £1.28m in the past financial year from the public purse.
1:24pm Friday 6th March 2015
THE victims in the Banbury sex abuse case have been praised for their bravery throughout the trial.
8:18am Friday 6th March 2015
TWO cars were left on their roofs after flipping in separate crashes this morning.
11:35am Friday 6th March 2015
TWO women have been removed from a suspected brother in Cowley Road.