FORKED lightning and rumbling thunder rolled across the Oxfordshire sky this morning as the muggy weather created a spectacular storm.
- The first five images are from our old friend Mary Spicer at Tackley at about 2.30am
The bangs and flashes woke many as the storm moved across the county between 2am and 4am.
The dramatic weather hit as the county swelters through an incredible heat wave. Temperatures today are expected to hit highs of 28C, with weather stations already reporting 19C just before 8am.
Oxfordshire can expect to bathe in sunshine for the rest of today, but rain is forecast at around 10pm.
- Here's a 10-minute video from Mark Jones - liking the soundtrack too
- Daniel Theobold sent these two in from Abingdon
- And Karen Modo-Hogg sent in this shot
- Peter Silver from Fringford took this picture at around 3am this morning
- Sarah Foulks sent in this shot, from West Oxfordshire, we believe
- Craig Cowley sent these two pictures in
Lorraine O'Callaghan from Milton Heights sent us this montage of the lightning strikes
- Andy Smith took this picture at Cogges in Witney at 2am
- Did you get any pictures of the lightning where you were? Send us your shots at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet them to @TheOxfordMail.
Our top stories
9:30am Saturday 23rd May 2015
Former Oxford United captain Mike Ford is relishing a return to management with Banbury United, after spending more than a year out of the game.
8:29am Friday 22nd May 2015
A HOUSE fire that forced people to jump for their lives was started by a businessman who accused his best man of having an affair with his wife, a jury heard.
3:16pm Friday 22nd May 2015
A WOMAN who went missing from Banbury has been found, police said
3:24pm Friday 22nd May 2015
TRAINS from Oxford could be disrupted after a person was hit by a train between Slough and Reading.
3:23pm Friday 22nd May 2015
TWO teenagers have been arrested after a robbery in Hythe Bridge Street.
9:30am Friday 22nd May 2015
Ryan Taylor remains firmly on Oxford United’s radar despite the signing of Kemar Roofe, according to head coach Michael Appleton.