CAMPAIGNERS have called plans to replace a community centre with flats an “insult to the people of Cowley”.
They gathered at the site in Barns Road, Oxford, on Saturday, against a proposal by the city council to build 40 flats.
Protesters were also demonstrating against the move to close the Temple Cowley Pools and Fitness Centre.
The council plans to close the Temple Road facility and replace it with a new multi-million pound pool in Blackbird Leys. The pool has now been registered as a community asset, meaning the Save Temple Cowley Pools group could buy it and save it for the community.
About 20 people were involved in the demonstration shortly after midday.
Dr Hojjat Ramzy, a representative of the Muslim Community of Oxford, was one of those who took part. He said: “These facilities are vital for the health and well being of the Cowley community. This is an insult to the people of Cowley.”
- Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes