JAYDEN MURDER TRIAL: Teenager tells court he was afraid of defendant

Ben Blakeley

Ben Blakeley

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter. Call me on (01865) 425373

A TEENAGER who helped bury the body of Jayden Parkinson said even after he was arrested for murder he did not realise what he had done.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admits unknowingly aiding Ben Blakeley in hiding his ex girlfriend’s body in a ditch near Upton and a Didcot cemetery.

Giving evidence in Oxford Crown Court yesterday he said when in early December last year he was “just a stupid kid” who should have asked more questions.

Cross examined by prosecutor Richard Latham QC the teenager said he didn’t ask the 22-year-old Blakeley what they were doing because he was afraid of him.

He said: “I never asked questions of Ben, because it would have just ended up bad for me. That’s just how it was with him and me.”

Mr Latham asked him about his arrest on suspicion of murder when police officers told him Blakeley was also a suspect.

The barrister said: “When (a police officer) told you everyone was looking for Jayden, given what you knew about where (Blakeley) had been and what he had been doing, did you not put two and two together?” The defendant said: “No I didn’t.”

Mr Lathan asked why he didn’t question Blakeley’s explanation of needing to bury a dog and a cat in an existing grave in a cemetery next to All Saint’s Church overnight on December 8.

He told the witness: “What I’m suggesting is you didn't need to ask because you knew exactly what was going on.”

With tears in his eyes the teenager replied: “I didn’t know what was going on, I wouldn’t have allowed it to happen.”

At this point members of Jayden’s family became emotional and left the court room.

The defendant was also questioned about December 5, when it is alleged he helped bury Jayden for the first time in a ditch near Upton.

Mr Latham said: “You thought (Blakeley) had got rid of some weapons in the bottom of a ditch. Did you say to him, why did we spend two hours digging a hole to bury a hammer and a knife?’’ The defendant said: “No I didn’t and looking back I wish I had. Back then I was just a stupid kid. I was dumb, I wasn’t the smartest kid at the time.’’ Later he added: “I never asked questions when I should have.”

The teenager admits perverting the course of justice but denies preventing a lawful burial. Blakeley admits manslaughter and perverting the course of justice but denies murder.

The trial continues.

You can subscribe to get alerts on the Jayden trial direct to your phone via our new WhatsApp service. Text JAYDEN and your full name to 07767 417704. Save the number in to your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed

Our top stories

Buses get some F1 technology

Oxford Mail: Williams F1 Image by Craig Styles(C)

7:30am Tuesday 2nd September 2014

A FORMULA One team from Oxfordshire has been the inspiration behind a new fleet of low emission buses.

Gifts galore as Facebook appeal couple tie the knot

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Tuesday 2nd September 2014

A COUPLE who turned to Facebook for help to get married tied the knot at the weekend after being inundated with offers of support.

Golf club puts a defibrillator device in gym

Oxford Mail: Responder department manager Dick Tracey before his charity head, beard and moustache shave. Pictures: OX63860 Denis Kennedy

6:40am Tuesday 2nd September 2014

A GOLF club near Faringdon has installed life-saving equipment after a man died there earlier this year.

Councillor's resignation prompts call for council discussion

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Tuesday 2nd September 2014

COUNTY council leader Ian Hudspeth has called for a “serious discussion” about the role of councillors.

Council pledges to repair Marston pavement

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Tuesday 2nd September 2014

FEARS have been raised that broken, uneven and cracked pavement slabs could lead to elderly people having falls.

Victoria Cross hero’s Oxford grave to be renovated by charity

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Tuesday 2nd September 2014

THE grave of a Victoria Cross war hero is to be restored after a forces charity was alerted to its state by the Oxford Mail.

 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree