STAFF at an Abingdon comprehensive school were happy to appear in a music video to say farewell to pupils.
But they had no idea when they were grooving for the cameras that their dance moves would go viral.
Larkmead School head of visual and performing arts Andrea Phillips came up with the idea of staff performing the Pharrell Williams’ hit Happy and everyone agreed to take part, including headteacher Chris Harris.
The film was edited by former pupil Jack Barlow, 19, who left last year and is studying cinematography at Winchester University.
He put the video out on YouTube before Year 11 pupils had seen it but staff took it down so the surprise would not be spoiled. Staff then decided that the video should only be shown from the school’s website.
Ms Phillips, a teacher at the school in Faringdon Road for the past 25 years, said: “The video was first shown at the Year 11 leavers’ assembly on June 27 and the students loved it.
“The pupils were spellbound by the video of all their teachers dancing and there was a huge round of applause at the end.
“Afterwards we had a lot of requests from parents to put the video out and it went live on the school website this week – it has been getting a lot of hits.
“The video was posted on the school site on Wednesday, lots of people have copied the link and it is now being shared around the world.
“I don’t know how many people have seen it on the website so far but it must be hundreds.”
Head of Year 11 John Adams has a leading role in the Happy video, with a copy of Williams’ trademark hat.
Headteacher Chris Harris added: “I think the video has now been shared on Facebook but I don’t mind because I’m proud of it.”
- To see the video visit larkmead-school.com/larkmead-say-goodbye-year-11/
Stills from the music video:
Verity Roper, Michael Hiorns and Helen Home on the basketball court
Head of visual and performing arts Andrea Phillips
Lionel Crowe, head of key stages
Headteacher Chris Harris
Librarian Linda Stone
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay