TEACHERS, council staff and firefighters will walk out today as part of nationwide strikes.
Members of the National Union of Teachers (NUT) are taking action for the third time this academic year, and 58 county schools have confirmed they will either close or be partially closed, while 234 schools will remain open.
The NUT is not staging a protest or rally in the county, but a rally is to be held in London. The action by the NUT is over a dispute with the Government over pay, pensions and workload.
NUT county spokesman Ed Finch said: “The teaching unions have tried means at their disposal to bring their message to the Secretary of State for Education, Michael Gove, but so far he refuses to listen or discuss our concerns.”
Members of the GMB union from across schools and local authorities will also be staging walkouts.
Oxfordshire firefighters will begin a 10-day strike, during four-hour periods, starting today between 10am and 7pm.
Between Monday and Thursday, members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) will walk out between 6am to 8am and 5pm to 7pm.
Next Friday, the FBU will strike between 6am to 8am and between 11pm to 1am on Saturday, then again between 11am to 1pm on Saturday and 11pm to 1am on Sunday, 5pm to 7pm on July 20, and on July 21, between 6am to 8am and 5pm to 7pm.
- See our list of schools at ow.ly/yTYtG
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay