A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a man in his 70s was attacked in Littlemore.
Police were called at 8.10am to the scene in Long Wall where the victim was found with stab wounds.
He is receiving treatment at hospital for his injuries where he remains in a serious but stable condition.
Speaking of the assault, Det Insp John Turner of Oxford CID said: “The investigation is at an early stage, however, we can confirm there is no threat to the wider community and the victim and offender are known to each other.”
A scene watch currently remains in place.
A 56 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and wounding with intent and is currently in police custody.
- Our top stories:
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website