OXFORD City Council has said it is not planning to sell off any of its parks.
It comes after a report put together by the Heritage Lottery Fund raised concern about the uncertain future facing public parks across the UK because of government cuts.
But the city council, which owns and manages seven large parks, 22 neighbourhood parks and 26 local parks, said it has invested more than £5m in its parks recently.
Council spokesman Louisa Dean said: “Oxford City Council recognises the broad value of parks and has recently adopted a Green Spaces Strategy which outlines how we manage the city’s parks.
“The council is not cutting services and is investing in its parks infrastructure while improving and increasing its maintenance regimes.
“We have invested £3.1m in play area refurbishment and refurbished park toilets. We are currently investing £2.45m in sports pavilions, £120,000 in outdoor gym equipment and £220,000 in multi use games areas and tennis courts.”
Last year, five of the city’s parks were given the Green Flag Award – a national scheme recognising the best green spaces – including Blackbird Leys, Cutteslowe & Sunnymead, Hinksey, Florence and Bury Knowle.
In its report, the Heritage Lottery Fund said 45 per cent of local authorities are considering selling off their parks or green spaces.
- Our top stories:
8:30am Wednesday 1st April 2015
A MULTI-MILLION pound deal has been signed to transform the city’s West End with hundreds of homes, a hotel and office space.
6:38pm Wednesday 1st April 2015
THE brothers of a man who led a multi-million pound drugs conspiracy have also been jailed for dealing cocaine, crack and heroin.
5:46pm Wednesday 1st April 2015
A WOMAN was been taken to hospital after being involved in an accident with a taxi on Oxford High Street.
4:17pm Wednesday 1st April 2015
A PAEDOPHILE headteacher whose body was discovered in the River Thames was found with a note, an inquest heard.
1:26pm Wednesday 1st April 2015
HOME Secretary Theresa May revealed there were more than 100 potential victims identified for Operation Rague.
9:48am Wednesday 1st April 2015
An 18-year-old needed hospital treatment last night after his pizza delivery scooter was in a collision with a car.