Failings found at carehome for the disabled in second inspection

Failings found at carehome for the the disabled in second inspection

Failings found at carehome for the the disabled in second inspection

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Health reporter, also covering Kidlington. Call me on 01865 425271

A HOME for the disabled inspected twice this year is still failing in caring for residents, despite pledging to tackle all concerns initially raised by the end of March.

An April inspection by the Care Quality Commission found concerns remained about Piggy Lane, Bicester.

It said action is still needed over care and welfare of residents, monitoring service quality and patient records.

Yet it said Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust had met concerns about safeguarding residents from abuse and lack of staff.

Its January inspection warned of “insufficient processes” to keep residents safe
and the trust said all issues would be addressed by March 30.

But the April visit found residents in its two bungalows were “not completely safe from avoidable harm” as guidance was not always followed.

Protocols on tackling suspected abuse had been updated but checks on sharing patient information did not happen when managers were off, it found.

It said staff showed “warmth, compassion and respect” but checks on quality and safety were “not yet sufficiently effective.”

There had been “improvements in the leadership and overall culture” and staff said leadership was “clearer” with better communication.

Yet the report said: “On the day of our inspection key staff were absent and had been for some time.” 

It added that this hampered progress.

Trust spokeswoman Natalie Duffy said the findings “remain unacceptable”.

She said some need more time and it has “put a robust action plan in place to ensure that we are compliant in all areas of our service.”

The trust was criticised in February over the July 2013 death of Connor Sparrowhawk, 18, in a bath at carehome Slade House, Headington, Oxford.

An independent report concluded 15-minute checks were unsafe for the Headington teenager, who is believed to have drowned.

Our top stories:

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Brothel sentence delay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

Two women who admitted being involved in running a brothel had the date for their sentencing changed.

More child sex victims are being identified

Oxford Mail: Bullfinch banner 630

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

HIGH-profile sex trafficking cases like Oxford’s Operation Bullfinch have led to more child victims being identified, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has said.

Teenage girl a victim of ‘revenge pornography’

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 13-year-old girl is among the region’s victims of so-called “revenge pornography”.

Just one more series for me says Lewis star

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

LEWIS star Kevin Whately has said he only wants to appear in one more series of the Oxford-based TV drama.

Burglary case put back

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 32-year-old man accused of burgling a home and stealing a BMW from the driveway had his case adjourned yesterday.

Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes turns his cameras on wartime Blenheim Palace

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE creator of hit TV drama Downton Abbey has been investigating how the real-life stately home of Blenheim Palace coped with the First World War.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree