Update: Watch: Ten fire engines sent to large fire at Grundon waste plant in Ewleme as neighbours told to stay indoors + video + pictures

The fire at Grundon, courtesy of reader @Luuunatik

The fire at Grundon, courtesy of reader @Luuunatik

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Assistant Editor

TEN fire engines have been sent to tackle a large blaze in an area kept for hazardous chemicals at the Grundon Waste Centre in Ewelme, near Wallingford tonight.

The fire broke out at about 7.20pm at the plant in Goulds Grove and firefighters are warning people living in the area to stay inside.

Police are also at the scene, with a 200-metre in cordon around the site.

  • Video courtesy of reader Mark Goldie
  • Did you witness the fire? Please call our newsdesk on 01865 425500 or email us

No one is believed to have been injured. The plume of smoke has been seen by people in Steventon, Didcot and Goring.

A fire service spokesman said: "Ten fire engines supported by a water carrier, incident support unit, rescue tender and aerial appliance are currently on the site. The fire is in the vicinity of an area dedicated to hazardous chemical waste.

"The fire and rescue service is advising anyone living in the immediate vicinity to stay indoors and keep their windows closed as a precuation."

The police have advised people living as far away as Sonning Common and Nettlebed to keep their windows and doors shut.

Roads around the site have also been closed.

Police spokesman James Williams said: "The fire service is at the scene and tackling the blaze, with Thames Valley Police helping to enforce a 200 meter cordon around the site.

"Members of the public are advised to avoid the area.

Oxford Mail:

  • A tweet from the police helicopter above the Grundon plant

"One private building outside the site has been evacuated."

Oxford Mail:

  • A tweet from the police helicopter above the Grundon plant

South Central Ambulance Service spokesman Michelle Archer said it was called at 8.04pm and sent an ambulance, three officers and a hazardous area response team.

She said there were no reports of any injuries and paramedics will remain at the scene.

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail:

Pictures courtesy of reader @Luuunatik

According to a planning application submitted by the company in 2012, Grundon's operations at the Ewelme depot date back to the 19th Century.

The centre was processing about 7,500 tonnes of hazardous waste a year.

Oxford Mail:

  • This image was sent in from reader Andrew White

Our top stories:

Rising cost of delayed tower blocks revamp will top £20m

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 29th May 2015

A MULTI-million pound project to refurbish Oxford’s five tower blocks could be delayed by almost a year.

Oxford University is set to appoint its first female vice-chancellor

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Friday 29th May 2015

THE first female vice-chancellor of Oxford University has been nominated by committee members and could take up her post next January.

50 bales of hay on fire in field by Tower Hill, Witney

Oxford Mail:

6:32pm Friday 29th May 2015

AT LEAST 50 bales of hay are on fire in a field by Tower Hill, Witney.

Video: Andrew Main sectioned after admitting South Oxfordshire council fire earlier this year

Oxford Mail:

4:16pm Friday 29th May 2015

ANDREW Main has been sectioned indefinitely under the Mental Health Act after admitting starting a number of fires in South Oxfordshire in January.

Pensioner pulled from Rose Hill house fire and treated by paramedics

Oxford Mail: oxfordshire fire and rescue logo

5:51pm Friday 29th May 2015

A PENSIONER was pulled from a house fire in Rose Hill this morning.

Martin Nganga guilty of arson after setting fire to Blackbird Leys house

Oxford Mail:

2:27pm Friday 29th May 2015

A businessman has been found guilty of arson with intent to endanger life after setting fire to a house in Blackbird Leys.

 

 

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:53am Sun 22 Jun 14

piper2011 says...

I live in Benson and we werent told to stay inside
I live in Benson and we werent told to stay inside piper2011
  • Score: 0

10:10am Sun 22 Jun 14

OX10Resident says...

I would imagine that is because the smoke was moving away from Benson.
I would imagine that is because the smoke was moving away from Benson. OX10Resident
  • Score: 2

6:16pm Sun 22 Jun 14

cowley bob says...

that's eco, as reported laterthe Fb rerport anything above 23c can combust,ok that's the wheely bin empty !
that's eco, as reported laterthe Fb rerport anything above 23c can combust,ok that's the wheely bin empty ! cowley bob
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree