A WOMAN in her 20s was killed in a crash on the M40, while her infant baby daughter has been flown to hospital, police have just confirmed.
The woman was killed when her green Peugeot 406 estate and a red arctic lorry collided on the southbound carriageway of the motorway just before junction 9 at Bicester.
The carriageway was closed but two lanes have been re-opened, a police spokesman confirmed. There are still significant tailbacks on the motorway.
The baby, who is the daughter of the woman and is just a few weeks old, was flown by air ambulance to hospitalf ro treatment.
"It is not believed the baby is injured however she remains at hospital as a precaution," the spokesman said.
He added: "Two lanes of the southbound carriageway have now been reopened however there remain lengthy tailbacks and motorists are advised to avoid the area. Many arterial routes have also been affected."
Police are appealing for any witnesses to call them on 101, quoting URN 559 13/6.
- Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon