Blaze started by lit pipe led to man’s death

.

.

First published in News

A SECOND World War veteran died in his home in a fire started by his pipe, an inquest heard.

Oliver Minchin, 93, died at Preston Road, Abingdon, on January 26, after the blaze, Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court was told yesterday.

The court heard fire crews from Abingdon and Didcot arrived at the home at about 6pm after receiving two 999 calls.

Watch manager Mat Nind said the most probable cause of the fire was Mr Minchin dropping his lit pipe or tobacco on to his chair in the kitchen.

He added that a carbon monoxide alarm in the home activated, and that two pipes, a bag of tobacco and a knife were found on a silver trolley next to Mr Minchin, who had suffered severe burns.

Neighbour Monica Wreyford told the hearing in a statement that she visited Mr Minchin to give him his meals and that he had eaten cheese and biscuits at about 4pm.

At about 6pm her husband told her that Mr Minchin had set his house on fire.

Earlier this year she said Mr Minchin had served on battleships during the Second World War and survived two torpedo attacks.

Consultant pathologist Dr Lucy Winter, who carried out a post-mortem examination, said the cause of death was smoke inhalation and severe burns.

Mr Minchin, a retired accountant and widower, was also suffering from lung cancer but had told his GP he did not want it to be treated, the court was told.

Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter recorded a verdict of accidental death. He said: “The most probable cause is the lit pipe or tobacco falling on to the fabric of the chair he was sitting on.”

• Our top stories:

Inspector's concerns over Northern Gateway strategy

Oxford Mail: Bob Price, Oxford City Council

6:30am Saturday 20th December 2014

CONCERNS have been raised about plans submitted for Oxford’s Northern Gateway business park by a Government inspector.

Comedy filmed in Wallingford to air on TV on Christmas Eve + video

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Saturday 20th December 2014

A TV comedy filmed at Wallingford Town Hall has been given one of the BBC’s top slots in the Christmas schedule.

Lead nurse for John Radcliffe's living donor programme tells of pride in her work

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Saturday 20th December 2014

MOST organ transplant patients will under go under the knife for the life-changing operation only once in their lives.

UPDATE: Car fire and oil spillage closes A40 near Ducklington and A34 car fire cause delays

Oxford Mail: A40 alert

4:03pm Friday 19th December 2014

A CAR fire and oil spillage closed the A40 westbound causing severe delays.

Motorcyclist 'punches pensioner and hits his car windscreen with helmet' after Cutteslowe crash

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

12:00pm Friday 19th December 2014

A PENSIONER was “severely” injured when he was attacked in his car by a motorcyclist in Cutteslowe, police said.

UPDATE: Body found after motorhome fire at caravan site near Chipping Norton

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

11:30am Friday 19th December 2014

A BODY was found after a fire at a caravan site motorhome.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree