ROADWORKS in George Street look set to continue for longer than expected, causing extended misery for motorists.
The closure of the city centre street had been expected to end this week.
Construction firm ISG Ltd needs the street closed while it carries out work on a building.
But spokesman Nick Hann said they had been informed by Thames Water that the street needs to be shut for longer because new infrastructure has to be built underneath it. He said the last part of the installation needs to be redesigned because of the discovery of unsuitable ground conditions.
He said: “Thames Water will continue to carry out this work as quickly as possible and we anticipate that the road will reopen later this month. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.”
The closure, which began on May 12, is causing major disruption through the city centre with temporary traffic lights at the junction of Hythe Bridge Street and Worcester Street.
Bus services have been re-routed via Beaumont Street, where parking has been suspended to allow for the temporary stops.
Once it reopens there will be one-way traffic only on George Street for around six weeks.
Top News Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website