Free ambulances face axe for 6,200 patients

Dave Beesley is concerned over the proposed cuts to services

Dave Beesley is concerned over the proposed cuts to services

First published in Top News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Health reporter, also covering Kidlington. Call me on 01865 425271

UP to 6,200 residents – including about 250 cancer patients – will lose free ambulance transport to hospital under plans out for consultation from today.

As reported in the Oxford Mail last month, health bosses want to axe about a quarter of planned patient transport journeys for the most able, even though they admit this could see people not attending appointments.

The Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group (OCCG) has now revealed 6,209 people – mostly OAPs – would lose journeys under one option, saving £795,833 a year, and 5,571 under a second option, saving £602,999.

But Headington’s Dave Beesley, in remission from prostate cancer, said: “I have been through 37 days of radiotherpay in seven-and-a-half weeks.

“For some people, especially middle aged people, going through that experience is quite traumatic anyway, let alone worrying about getting to and from the hospital.”

The 65-year-old added: “It would be a real shame if they pulled that service.”

The first option, under the proposals, would stop free transport to an expected 247 cancer, 87 renal and 304 podiatry patients if they are attending a clinic, but not receiving treatment.

About three quarters of journeys are for residents aged between 60 and 89.

The OCCG said changes are needed as it has the lowest per head funding in England and demand for care is rising as residents live longer and have more complex needs. Patients “capable of walking and getting in and out of vehicles unaided” or “requiring minimal assistance from a single ambulance crew member” will lose free transport.

An OCCG report said: “It is essential that the CCG uses its money to support and treat those in most need.

“Many patients, with conditions such as cancer, are able to travel to or from healthcare appointments by public or private transport without detriment to their wellbeing.”

Eligibility for transport was tightened in 2011, including for those who cannot walk or stand for “more than a few steps”. This has seen journeys for those who walk unaided drop from 41,104 in 2010/11 to 31,502 in 2013/14.

But the other group set to be hit – those needing “minimal assistance” – rose from 15,782 to 21,278 in this time and the OCCG estimates it will continue to rise to about 2,700 a month by March 2020.

It said “friend’s or relative’s car, taxi, public or voluntary transport” are alternatives for those who lose out.

But it said if the toughest criteria was chosen, community services would be “unlikely to have capacity to absorb substantial increase in demand”.

And it said: “Patients required to travel by their own means may choose not to attend appointments to the detriment of their health.”

Oxfordshire Rural Community Council has raised concerns with OCCG about the volunteer schemes’ ability to cope, it said.

Those receiving “active care or treatment” for chemotherapy, radiotherapy, renal dialysis, eye surgery, deep vein thrombosis or vascular clinic treatment would be exempt under the plans, to start on October 1.

The OCCG contracts South Central Ambulance Service to provide patient transport through ambulances, volunteer drivers using their own cars, minibuses and specialist vehicles.

Emergency journeys would not be affected.

The changes would see either 27,697 or 31,173 journeys axed out of 110,260 journeys last year, which cost £3.9m.

Top News
• Our top stories:

The £1.6bn investment that ‘would keep us at the global cutting edge’

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Thursday 2nd July 2015

AMBITIOUS proposals for £1.6bn of transport and development schemes in Oxfordshire have been unveiled by a partnership of businesses, universities and councils.

Have you seen missing Stephen Gray from Abingdon?

Oxford Mail:

10:59am Thursday 2nd July 2015

A MAN from Abingdon has gone missing.

Thunder, lightning and hail predicted for Oxfordshire on Friday

Oxford Mail: After the heatwave comes the thunderstorms: 'Yellow Alert' as heavy rain forecast

10:50am Thursday 2nd July 2015

THE glorious weather will come to an abrupt end as thunderstorms and heavy rain were forecast for tomorrow.

It’s hotter than Rio as Oxfordshire sweats it out in a sizzling 31C

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 2nd July 2015

THE county sizzled in the sweltering heat yesterday, but experts have warned that the good weather may not last long.

Man sectioned for kitchen knife attack on father

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

9:00am Thursday 2nd July 2015

A FATHER whose mentally ill son tried to stab him to death has said he bears no ill will towards his attacker.

Regiment leaves Germany for new county home

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Thursday 2nd July 2015

A REGIMENT based in Germany has said farewell to its barracks as it begins the move to Bicester.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:43pm Fri 30 May 14

the wizard says...

Total disgrace targeting the old an vulnerable. The emergency service is hardly any better. Recently my wife was admitted to hospital by the 111 out of hours GP. Three and a half hours later we were still waiting for an ambulance despite several phone calls and assurances that one was coming,( it didn't) , so I took my wife in the car. On arrival the Emergency Assessment Unit at the JR asked why my wife had been delayed, on hearing our explanation we gathered the impression that it is becoming the norm. This took us through to the early hours of the morning. The next day we were having conversation with the doctors looking after my wife. They informed us that should she not respond to medication we would be in receipt of a phone call to discuss end of life arrangements. So much for the caring NHS Cameron promised, all spin, no action. It was hinted by some staff that the number of paramedics and actual vehicles has been reduced. I hope the people that make these decisions lay awake in bed fearful of the repercussions their money saving ideas are having, well I li8ve in hope anyway.
Total disgrace targeting the old an vulnerable. The emergency service is hardly any better. Recently my wife was admitted to hospital by the 111 out of hours GP. Three and a half hours later we were still waiting for an ambulance despite several phone calls and assurances that one was coming,( it didn't) , so I took my wife in the car. On arrival the Emergency Assessment Unit at the JR asked why my wife had been delayed, on hearing our explanation we gathered the impression that it is becoming the norm. This took us through to the early hours of the morning. The next day we were having conversation with the doctors looking after my wife. They informed us that should she not respond to medication we would be in receipt of a phone call to discuss end of life arrangements. So much for the caring NHS Cameron promised, all spin, no action. It was hinted by some staff that the number of paramedics and actual vehicles has been reduced. I hope the people that make these decisions lay awake in bed fearful of the repercussions their money saving ideas are having, well I li8ve in hope anyway. the wizard
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree