AND they’re off as 50 teams yesterday started a journey from Cornbury Park to Witney’s twin town of Le Touquet in France.
The Twin Town Challenge sees cars worth £500 or less travel the 1,000 miles.
Drivers will take in the famous race circuits of Brands Hatch, Le Mans and Croix en Ternois to do challenges and gain points on a leaderboard. Organiser Brendon Cross said: “It was a fantastic send-off, with a really, really good atmosphere. There were lots of people waving us off, and loads of school children.”
Charlbury Primary School pupil Boru Blayney, eight, pictured front third from right, from Spelsbury, said: “I liked all the cars because of the wheels.
“I normally like round stuff. The people inside them were all dressed up too which was fun. ”
The challenge, which will last all weekend, is set to raise £100,000 for charity SpecialEffect.
Based in Charlbury it helps people with disabilities enjoy video games.
Mr Cross, who is a vice president at the charity, said: “When we get back we’ll be putting the cars into a special auction. They all cost under £500 initially, but they’ve had so much work on them that they will hopefully sell for a lot more.”
There will be a welcome home party as the teams return on Monday at the Witney Lakes Resort at 4pm.
Our top stories:
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation