MORE than 1,000 homes and businesses were left without power yesterday after a fault with an underground cable.
Among those hit was the Modern Art Oxford gallery, which had to close as a result, and there were reports of no electricity across the city.
Southern Electric sent its engineers to fix the fault, which occurred at about 10.30am and hit 1,427 customers in the OX1 and OX2 postcode areas.
Among areas reported to be hit were Marston and Jericho.
Modern Art Oxford tweeted yesterday afternoon: “Sorry for any disappoint-ment caused today. We were unable to open due to a power-cut in Oxford town centre. Hope you all enjoyed the sun!”
Engineers worked through the day to reconnect customers and by 1.45pm, 361 homes were without power. By 3.39pm electricity was returned to all homes in the city.
Southern Electric initially thought the problems may have been caused by an overhead power line, but later identified the fault was with an underground cable.
Company spokeswoman Lisa Marchi last night said power had been restored by re-routing another supply, but the firm had not found where the fault was.
Our top stories:
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website