Cycling scheme and traffic calming measures approved

David Nimmo Smith

David Nimmo Smith

First published in News

TWO transport schemes were approved by Oxfordshire County Council’s cabinet member for transport yesterday.

They are a cycle scheme to link the Harwell science campus with Harwell village, and road humps and a puffin crossing in Middleton Stoney Road, Bicester.

David Nimmo Smith approved the schemes at his monthly delegated decisions meeting.

Plans for the Bicester scheme were drawn up because of the 1,585-home Kingsmere development to the south-west of the town. It will mean that 16 pairs of speed cushions will be installed along the road off Vendee Drive and the work would be funded by developers.

Mark Kemp, the council’s deputy director for economy and environment, said: “Extensive experience of similar calming measures in Oxfordshire in a wide range of environments have showed good levels of speed reduction and improved safety at locations where there was a prior accident problem.”

Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four.

It means a new roundabout will be created on the A417, while the Winnaway bridleway will be resurfaced and a shared use path will be created along the A4185.

This will be funded by the local enterprise partnership’s growing places fund.

Our top stories:

Botley Road to partially close overnight for three days for emergency repair works

Oxford Mail:

5:18pm Tuesday 30th September 2014

EMERGENCY roadworks in Botley Road will be starting tonight.

Man still fighting for life after Sandford Road bridge fall

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

4:41pm Tuesday 30th September 2014

A man was yesterday still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Motorcyclist seriously injured in crash with car near Dorchester

Oxford Mail: Ambulance stock image

11:44am Tuesday 30th September 2014

A MOTORCYCLIST has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after a crash with a BMW.

Dismal start troubles Appleton

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 30th September 2014

Oxford United’s position in the table is now a concern for head coach Michael Appleton, who has acknow-ledged it is taking longer than expected to improve results.

Derek Measor's wife says his death tore her world apart as killer driver avoids jail

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 30th September 2014

A WIDOW whose husband was killed while cycling yesterday told a court it was the worst day of her life.

Girls get some coaching from a top GB runner

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

PUPILS at d’Overbroecks College pulled on their running shoes yesterday as 2002 Commonwealth Games 400m relay silver medallist Lesley Owusu gave them advice on how to succeed in both sport and life.

Rethink on late-night drink levy

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

BARS and clubs in Oxford could soon be charged for serving alcohol after midnight.

Russell’s taste of honey is the bees Leys

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

THERE are some unusual visitors in Blackbird Leys creating a bit of a buzz.

West Way scheme could help boost house prices

Oxford Mail: Parish councillor Chris Church outside the Elms Parade shops

8:00am Tuesday 30th September 2014

The £100m West Way redevelopment scheme will see house prices in West Oxford rise to rival areas like Headington and Summertown, an estate agent report has said.

Man fights for his life after falling from bridge

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 30th September 2014

A MAN was last night fighting for his life after falling from a bridge and then colliding with a vehicle.

Charity rider appeals for return of her bikes

Oxford Mail:

6:40am Tuesday 30th September 2014

A charity champion has appealed for information after two bikes were stolen from her shed.

City friendliest place

Oxford Mail: A library photograph of a mobile phone similar to the one stolen

6:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

Fewer people in the city pretend to be on their smartphones to avoid striking up a conversation with a stranger, according to the latest research.

TB man given Asbo to stop him spitting

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

A HOMELESS man with tuberculosis (TB) has been given an anti-social behaviour order (Asbo) to stop him from coughing and spitting at people.

Survey puts spotlight city’s on city’s grubby roads

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

SIXTEEN streets have been branded the grubbiest in Oxford in a city-wide cleanliness survey.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:06am Fri 16 May 14

Myron Blatz says...

Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses. Myron Blatz
  • Score: 13

10:02am Fri 16 May 14

snert says...

Myron Blatz wrote:
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code.

On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything...

"...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..."

Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.
[quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.[/p][/quote]Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code. On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything... "...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..." Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it. snert
  • Score: 16

11:27am Fri 16 May 14

Danny3 says...

How many people on buses have been killed or injured by cyclists? It's the cyclists that come off dead or injured in any bus-bicycle collisions.

We need cycling infrastructure that keeps buses and cyclists out of each others' way. Given the constraints on space in central oxford, ultimately that means banning cars from the centre - except for out of hours loading and deliveries - and dividing the space between segregated bus and cycle lanes.
How many people on buses have been killed or injured by cyclists? It's the cyclists that come off dead or injured in any bus-bicycle collisions. We need cycling infrastructure that keeps buses and cyclists out of each others' way. Given the constraints on space in central oxford, ultimately that means banning cars from the centre - except for out of hours loading and deliveries - and dividing the space between segregated bus and cycle lanes. Danny3
  • Score: -12

12:02pm Fri 16 May 14

Floflo says...

snert wrote:
Myron Blatz wrote:
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code.

On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything...

"...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..."

Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.
On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air.

The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive.

Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day!
[quote][p][bold]snert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.[/p][/quote]Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code. On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything... "...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..." Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.[/p][/quote]On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air. The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive. Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day! Floflo
  • Score: -9

12:59pm Fri 16 May 14

yabbadabbadoo256 says...

Floflo wrote:
snert wrote:
Myron Blatz wrote:
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code.

On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything...

"...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..."

Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.
On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air.

The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive.

Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day!
I dont feel boxed in in my convertable...
[quote][p][bold]Floflo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]snert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.[/p][/quote]Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code. On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything... "...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..." Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.[/p][/quote]On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air. The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive. Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day![/p][/quote]I dont feel boxed in in my convertable... yabbadabbadoo256
  • Score: 11

9:41am Sat 17 May 14

Myron Blatz says...

Seem to have hit several 'raw nerves' because its a funny old world when freedom of speech is apparently only valid for those who agree with each other. But then, I don't wear spandex cycling gear, ignore traffic lights, or mow-down pedestrians on the the footpath when riding my own bike as a simple means of transport, rather than an eco-political statement of mono-focussed ethical or moral values. And by the way, fewer bus passengers get injured than cyclists, because public transport is inherently much safer.
Seem to have hit several 'raw nerves' because its a funny old world when freedom of speech is apparently only valid for those who agree with each other. But then, I don't wear spandex cycling gear, ignore traffic lights, or mow-down pedestrians on the the footpath when riding my own bike as a simple means of transport, rather than an eco-political statement of mono-focussed ethical or moral values. And by the way, fewer bus passengers get injured than cyclists, because public transport is inherently much safer. Myron Blatz
  • Score: 3

8:30pm Thu 22 May 14

HPG says...

Not one cyclist along those roads to Harwell has looked behind themselves when turning/indicating/o
vertaking other cyclists/ dodging potholes/dodging puddles...help yourselves before a driver is accused of manslaughter as its always car hits cyclist not cyclist hits car.
Not one cyclist along those roads to Harwell has looked behind themselves when turning/indicating/o vertaking other cyclists/ dodging potholes/dodging puddles...help yourselves before a driver is accused of manslaughter as its always car hits cyclist not cyclist hits car. HPG
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree