Report this comment
  • "Nick.. why cant your lib-dem cronies accpet that you lost the 2010 election to the tories and get over it.. and stop sending us crap though our letterbox?"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Rare chance for public to question Nick Clegg

Rare chance for public to question Nick Clegg

Nick Clegg

Nick Clegg

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Assistant Editor

DEPUTY Prime Minister Nick Clegg is opening himself up to a no-holds barred question and answer session to Oxford Mail readers.

Mr Clegg, pictured, is visiting the city two days before the May 22 council and European parliament elections and has agreed to meet voters and answer any questions put to him.

There will be no (reasonable) topic off limits and the invitation to the meeting is open to anyone of any political persuasion.

Mr Clegg encouraged Oxford Mail readers to sign up for the event, which will be held at a city centre location on the afternoon of Tuesday, May 20.

He said: “Ever since I have been leader of the Liberal Democrats I have held meetings where members of the public can come along and ask me a question directly.

“It is something I have continued as Deputy Prime Minister and believe as many people as possible should be given the chance to put their elected politicians on the spot.

“The event is two days before we go to the polls in the local and European elections and the Liberal Democrats aren’t scared to speak up.

“We are Britain’s party of ‘in’, standing up for staying in Europe loudly, passionately and unequivocally, because that is how we keep this nation stronger, safer and richer.

Related links

“It’s great the Oxford Mail has agreed to host the event and I would encourage readers to register and come along to ask me a question.”

Audience members will have to apply for places by registering through the web address at the bottom of this story.

It is free to attend. Places will be limited and the closing date for applications will be 6pm on Sunday, May 18.

Audience members will be informed on Monday, May 19, of the location once they have been accepted. You will need to bring photo identification to get in.

Because of security arrangements, applicants will be vetted by the police.

However, that is the only check that will be made and the audience will not be selected along political lines. If you have a question for the Deputy Prime Minister, we want you to have the chance to ask it.

Oxford Mail editor Simon O’Neill said: “This is a rare chance for our readers to put the questions that matter to them directly to the Deputy Prime Minister and we are proud to be involved.

“This will not be some Liberal Democrat election rally. It is for real people to ask real questions and get real answers.

“Many people may not agree with Liberal Democrat policies, but it is still impressive Mr Clegg is prepared to open himself up to this type of forum. Our city is known for its intellectual debate and it will be intriguing to see how the meeting develops.”

  • Today's top stories:

Mixed views on payments of bonuses to NHS bosses

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 2nd October 2014

EIGHT health bosses received between £85,000 and £125,000 in bonuses last year, latest figures show.

Army says ‘sorry’ to para amputee bullying victim

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Thursday 2nd October 2014

THE Army has apologised after a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan was bullied while working at RAF Brize Norton.

Move to Birmingham or be homeless, Syrian family told

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Thursday 2nd October 2014

MORE than 50 families have been relocated outside of the city so far this year, with Syrian refugees among the latest forced to move.

Community helps flood victims as looters strike

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Thursday 2nd October 2014

FLOOD victims left devastated after a water main burst in their street have rallied together in the aftermath of the disaster.

Memorial to Spanish civil war ‘would clutter up the square’

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 2nd October 2014

PLANS for a memorial to the Oxford residents who died in the Spanish civil war look to have hit a brick wall.

Army will apologise to paratrooper Tom Neathway after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Brothel sentence delay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

Two women who admitted being involved in running a brothel had the date for their sentencing changed.

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree