Our Witney community is under considerable threat. We would encourage you to tell WODC: s No significant development should be allowed in the floodplain or watercourses immediately above the town. Water retention action is required now and it is bizarre to believe that 1,000 houses could pay for what is required and not add to the problem. If you have been subject to flooding then you need to be aware of what will happen to your home or business in the future if this development is permitted.
Tell WODC the proposed West End link road leads nowhere. Apart from crossing two arms of the river and pouring more concrete into the floodplain, it would dump traffic at the foot of Hailey Road and increase traffic by 69 per cent in the Witney conservation area, increase West End traffic flows to an historic high and cause rat runs through Farmers Close, New Yatt Road and Wood Green.
The proposed northern distributor road which cuts into the heart of Hailey is damned by WODC’s own landscape and visual review of 2012 which says: “A major peripheral road would be out of keeping with the local landscape character and would be visually intrusive.”
If you live in New Yatt, North Leigh, both Long and Church Hanborough and Bladon your traffic will increase yet again. You need to tell your district councillors to vote no. Make them accountable to you.
Demand to know the audited cost of roads, bridges, flood schemes, sewage dispersal, schools and transport infrastructure before they consider destroying Witney by building on an ancient landscape all of which is within the Wychwood Project. Please ensure your councillor hears your voice before September 19.
Stuart Harrison, Chairman, North Witney Action Group
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Help us trace M40 angels
- Is Government's EU leaflet a good use of taxpayer money?
- Cameron and Osborne's tax affairs mask real issue of cuts to poorest
- Barnsley supporter: Oxford United did you all proud at Wembley
- Is canal wharf the future of Worcester Street car park?