it is human to err and politicians are not exempt from making mistakes.
The 2008 Climate Change Act introduced by Ed Miliband made a few errors unfortunately. One of these mistakes was to target carbon emissions by encouraging the sale of diesel vehicles to unsuspecting motorists.
These diesel vehicles are now found to be responsible for at least 7,000 deaths a year due to the irritating arborne particulate matter form their exhausts. The Government is now trying to rectify this legislative mistake by trying to deter diesel drivers from entering London and introducing stricter exhausts emissions rules.
Another strategic error was the closure of our coal power stations in a bid to curb carbon emissions.
Again it is a similar error to that of the diesel vehicles. Most of the power station emissions were steam and virtually no particulate matter or irritating pollutants.
So now we have an unintended consequence of a looming power shortage that will result in even more dangerous airborne pollution.
When winter power cuts arrive many homeowners will open up their fireplaces and start to burn coal and wood to keep warm. This will release dangerous particulate filled smoke. The burning of these fossil fuels indoors also negates the whole point of closing the coal power stations.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Today’s letters
- In verse: The dangers of using mobile while driving
- Someone must take rap for bureaucratic bungling
- Drivers using mobiles must face stiffer penalties
- County needs to ‘get a grip’ and help Oxfordshire public
- Joe was a terrific boss, and his death a sad loss
- Thanks for helping the elderly with essential bus