STELLA Gough, a tireless voluntary worker for charity groups in Oxford, has died aged 97.
Mrs Gough, of Diamond Court, Summertown, North Oxford, was a familiar figure at St Andrew’s Church in Linton Road, where she worshipped for more than 20 years.
She was the widow of the Rev Basil Gough, the Rector of St Ebbe’s Church, Oxford, from 1952 to 1964.
The couple later spent five years living in Bristol, where she became an active member of the South American Mission Society, visiting four Latin American countries.
It inspired an interest in overseas aid that lasted the rest of her life.
She returned to live in Oxford following the death of her husband in 1969, throwing herself into local voluntary work.
In addition to teaching English to Asian women, she worked with stroke victims and was a keen supporter of Oxfam.
Mrs Gough was born in Bromley, Kent, and at one stage was educated in Switzerland.
During the Second World War she worked at hospitals in Margate and Farnborough and later as a nurse at the Royal East Sussex Hospital in Hastings.
She was 37 when she married Mr Gough, who was then the Rector of Hatherleigh in Devon.
She became closely involved in her husband’s work when he moved to St Ebbe’s, regularly hosting tea parties.
Mrs Gough began attending services at St Andrew’s in 1988 after becoming the second resident to move into new accommodation at Diamond Court. She quickly became involved in church activities involving its mission and fellowship groups, lunch club and prayer meetings.
Mrs Gough died in the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, on December 22, the day after her 97th birthday.
Her funeral was held at St Andrew’s Church, followed by burial in Bristol. Mrs Gough leaves one stepson, a granddaughter and a grandson.