I AM able to answer Kath Mulligan’s question about where the picture of Morris Motors firemen was taken (Memory Lane, August 8).

It was in the entrance to Morris Motors where the fire station faced into Hollow Way. Church’s Garage was the first business in a row of shops there.

With reference to Stuart Buggins’s letter about the closure of Temple Cowley School (Memory Lane, July 18), I attended there in the 1940s.

At that time, Mr King took over the headship from Mr Owen, and my great aunt was the senior mistress, Miss Ivy Constable, who taught needlework and maths.

I remember some of the staff – Miss Phipps (music), Mr Munday (gardening, he was also a Scoutmaster), Mr Lewingdon (history), Mrs Sweeting (domestic science), Miss Daziel (PE), Mr Theobold (science) and Mr Scott (metalwork).

Miss Adams and Miss Axtell were also teaching at that time.

I recall, as it was wartime, having our feet measured to see if we qualified for extra clothing coupons.

Miss Constable suddenly died when attending a teachers’ conference in Scarborough.

I also remember the school always celebrated, Empire Day on May 24, in the quadrangle.

MARY BIGGS
Horspath