HOW marvellous that in the past couple of months, Memory Lane has published not one, but two photographs featuring family members.

On May 16, the group photograph of Morris Motors’ firemen with their competition trophies included my dad, Reg Pearce, bringing back many memories of the competitions and family days at the Crescent Road sports ground at Cowley.

I have a similar photograph, but not the one you published, and looking at the sign for Church’s Garage on the side of the house in the background, was it taken in Crescent Road or off Hollow Way? Although I knew many of dad’s fellow fire officers, I can’t recall their names, except Chief Officer Charles (Charlie) Ham and Mr F Coppock – I can’t remember if the F stood for Frank or Fred?

Then on July 18, there was a surprise photograph of our son Richard as master of ceremonies in Goodbye to Berlin, the Cheney School summer production of 1985. As you mentioned, he was 15 and went on to play central roles in several later productions.

I have another photograph taken at this photo shoot displayed in the house and my grand-daughter is convinced that her uncle is surrounded by girls posing in their underwear, so I was interested to read the Kit Kat Club girls’ names. I wonder what their reactions were when they saw the photograph again now!

The period 1985 to 1990 was a golden musical age for Cheney. I particularly remember Godspell and Grease. However, it wasn’t just the actors who made them such successes, it was also the school orchestra.

Among the musical names of that time we had Stephen Queralt and Mark Gardener singing and Andy Bell playing in the orchestra, names now familiar as Ride on the indie-rockers scene. They announced last November they were reuniting and going back on the road. Thanks for the memories.

KATH MULLIGAN
Leiden Road, Oxford