THESE pupils took a break from classroom lessons to enjoy a new experience - a Mediterranean cruise.

They were from Cowley St James School, one of nine schools in and around Oxford which took part in the educational trip in 1970.

The 10-day voyage aboard the SS Nevasa took them to Lisbon, Tangiers, Gibraltar and Vigo.

The photograph was taken as the pupils stepped off a special train which had brought them home after the ship had docked at Southampton.

The Oxford Mail described how they arrived at Oxford station loaded with sombreros, presents and souvenirs.

The paper added: “Bartering in the North African bazaars and gazing at the mementos of the old Portuguese explorers are at present jumbled up in their minds as part of what was clearly a wonderful but rather overwhelming experience.”

The cruise was a far cry from the activities their predecessors had enjoyed – or perhaps endured - in the early days of the school, which served the Cowley community for more than a century.

For them, the emphasis had been not on foreign visits, but on learning the three ‘Rs’ – arithmetic, reading and writing – and, being a church school, religion.

The school, next to St James’ Church in Beauchamp Lane, opened in 1834, and Cowley historian Rosanne Butler believes it was built with stone from an old barn on the site.

She tells me: “It served a wide community, and many pupils must have had long walks on muddy paths to and from school, not only at the start and end of lessons but at lunchtime too as there were no school meals.”

Generations of children were taught at the school, which had just four classrooms and four teachers.

When the larger Church Cowley School opened in nearby Bartholomew Road in 1958, the future of the small school looked uncertain. But with pupil numbers remaining high, it survived until 1975.

It took on a new role as a special unit for troubled children, but the building was later abandoned and is now largely derelict.

However, a new group called the Friends of Old St James School has been formed with the aim of breathing new life into the building.

Mrs Butler, who taught at the school for nearly 12 years, has joined the group which has started fundraising to refurbish it and open it as a pre-school for two and three-year-olds.

Children from Church Cowley are helping by creating a garden in the playground of the old school and growing fruit and vegetables.

Former pupils, staff and anyone else wishing to support the initiative should contact Mrs Butler on 01865 453257 or another of the group, city councillor David Henwood, at dhenwood9@gmail.com

Mrs Butler said: “It was a really happy school and I loved teaching there. I am still great friends with many of the pupils I taught. It would be wonderful to see the building brought back to life.”

• Next week – the school’s famous pupil, Lord Nuffield