WELCOME aboard the ‘Sardine Special’. That was the name given to this train which was regularly overcrowded.

The 5.37pm diesel service from Oxford to Kingham had only one coach – and it was standing room only for those not quick enough to grab one of the 60 seats.

One passenger said: “I’m afraid chivalry rather goes by the board. Some of us sometimes give up our seats to women and elderly people, but mostly it’s every man for himself.”

One night in January 1966, the Oxford Mail sent reporter John Ezard and photographer Johnny Johnson to join the hard-pressed commuters.

Ezard wrote: “As the train started, six standing passengers were able to sit down by cramming four people on to seats made for three.

“This left 10 people standing, including me and a girl sitting on her cousin’s lap.

“She told me they often sat on each other’s laps because if you stand, you get rocked about such a lot. We soon got her message.

“There are no straps above the narrow gangway and unless you stretch over and grab a luggage rack, the swaying of the train will send you sprawling, especially when it crosses points.”

One passenger said he had often counted 92 passengers on board, 32 of them standing. “Once a woman fainted and we couldn’t get through to her in the crush.”

One woman said she had got a seat that night only by getting to Oxford station 20 minutes before the train left.

Another described conditions on the train as “shocking and completely undignified.”

Passengers were feeling particularly disgruntled as British Railways’ Western Region had just put up its fares! Divisional manager Mr FD Pattison sympathised with passengers, but said it was difficult to justify an extra coach for a short journey, particularly when it would be used only at peak times.

Officials also pointed out that some passengers got off at the first stop at Hanborough, leaving more room for the remaining journey. However, next day, there was good news for the cattle-truck brigade. A spare coach had been found at Bletchley and from early February, the 5.37pm would have two coaches instead of one.

For the record, on the return journey, the Oxford Mail team had the train to themselves. “We relaxed like kings,” reporter Ezard wrote.