NOW in my 40th year of teaching at Oxford School/Oxford Spires Academy, I was intrigued by your article on the Old Southfieldians (Memory Lane, October 19).

I noted their disappointment in 2002 when they visited the school and found their old school hall “had seemingly become a massive storage unit”.

They were a little unfortunate to be visiting at that time. Their old school hall is, and has been for many years, a well-stocked and thriving school library.

However, in 2002, there was a major building programme under way to provide us with extra space for the city-wide reorganisation of secondary schools in September 2002.

This was when the city reverted from a three-tier to a two-tier system with the closure of the middle schools.

As a result, Oxford School was due to become 11-18 again, rather than 13-18 as it had been from 1974 to 2002. The maths, English and modern languages departments had vacated their old rooms, ready to move into a purpose-built block.

Unfortunately, as was the case when Southfield School opened in 1934, the building work overran slightly, and every available space – including the library – had to be pressed into service to store boxes of resources until the new building was ready for occupation.

This unfortunately coincided with the visit of the Old Southfieldians, and may account for their disappointment.

Since becoming Oxford Spires Academy, we have gained even more wonderful facilities, although the original Southfield buildings are still in full use.

Should any Old Southfieldians or any old Oxford School students wish to look at the school as it is today, please contact me at Oxford Spires Academy and I will arrange a visit.

TONY DRAKE
Oxford Spires Academy
Glanville Road, Oxford