THANK you for printing parts of the photograph of the Oxford Central Girls’ School in 1949 – they have brought back many happy memories.

I recognise quite a few of the pupils and staff but especially the second row from the front in the fourth section you published (Memory Lane, October 12) as they were in my year.

They were, left to right: Miss Stogdale (domestic science), Miss Andrews (maths), Peggy Mortimer (school secretary), Anne Cliff, Christine Waple, Edna Woods, Sheila Twining, Hazel Cousins, Valerie Elmey, Irene Kurtz and Sylvia Routledge. Where are they now?

Sheila and I were always the best of friends, but sadly she died in 2009 and is greatly missed by family and friends.

I have appreciated the letters from Thelma Palmer. It’s so nice to be remembered after about 70 years. I remember her because she had the most beautiful thick plaits – I think I was a bit envious.

Coincidentally, Marian Simmons, who wrote in the same issue about her time at St Christopher’s School, was in my year at the Central School. Marian was great fun to be around and if I remember correctly, was good at art.

I hope that some of my contemporaries will send you their memories of the Central School.

EDNA ASHWELL (née Woods)
Botley