MOLLIE Bateson taught thousands of Oxford schoolchildren to swim during her 40-year career as an instructor.

There were plenty of tributes when she retired in 1973, including one from members of Oxford City Swimming Club, pictured above.

Many readers will remember Miss Bateson as the dominant figure with the booming voice who stood in or beside the pool teaching them their first strokes, then encouraging them to greater honours in swimming and lifesaving.

An Oxford swimming official once remarked that wherever there was a splash of water, you could expect to find Miss Bateson not far away.

Over the years, she taught at all city bathing places with one exception – Parsons Pleasure, the men’s nude bathing spot in the University Parks.

Miss Bateson was born in Regent Street, East Oxford, and learned to swim at the age of six. She was taught by her sister Grace and at 14 – the minimum age permitted – she passed her lifesaving test.

After leaving SS Mary and John School, she went to the School of Art in Church Street, St Ebbe’s, to learn embroidery and leatherwork, but it was swimming that took precedence when she left at 19.

Having passed her first Amateur Swimming Association teachers’ examination, she took a part-time job as a swimming instructor in Oxford in 1928 “teaching in muddy-bottomed baths”.

She was appointed full-time resident instructor at Temple Cowley baths in 1942 and stayed there until 1966 when she moved to take charge of the new Blackbird Leys pool.

During her time at Temple Cowley, she taught swimming and life saving to as many as 1,500 children a week.

She would tell her pupils in later years: “I probably taught your grandmothers to swim.”

She often laughed when she overheard herself being referred to as ‘The Dragon’, ‘Sergeant Major’ and other such names. But she had no regrets about the firmness with which she treated those in her charge.

She once said: “I always start very, very strictly to show that there is a lot to fear with water. You can always ease up later when you have got pupils’ respect and confidence. Otherwise, they would take unnecessary risks.”

Over the years, she received many awards for her work, including an MBE and honorary life membership of the Royal Life Saving Society, its highest honour. She died in 1985, aged 77.

* Any memories of Miss Bateson to share with readers? Write and let me know.