A LETTER found in a book bought in an Oxford charity shop revealed the heartache and hope of a couple separated by war.

Marie Clarke was looking forward to being reunited with her husband, Able Seaman Joe Clarke, as the Second World War neared its end.

The air mail letter dated September 10, 1944, was discovered in the book by a Memory Lane reader, who is keen to return it to the couple or their relatives.

It was dated September 10, 1944 and was sent from HMS Cadmus, on which Able Seaman Clarke was serving. It was addressed to his wife at 27 Prospect Street, Huddersfield.

Able Seaman Clarke already had an inkling that the war was coming to an end.

He wrote: “I suggest your (sic) right, it won’t be long now.

“I reckon it’s nearly all over now bar the shouting. Jerry is taking the can back and I don’t mean maybe.

“I’d better start thinking seriously of civvy street.”

In earlier letters, Mrs Clarke had obviously expressed concern that the war might have changed her husband, but he was quick to reassure her.

“I wish you would stop worrying about me having changed. I’m the same bloke, not the least altered.

“I’m looking forward to us starting our life together as we should have done some time ago, but the war postponed that. However it will come, I know that.”

It appears that sailors didn’t attract as many women admirers as soldiers.

Able Seaman Clarke wrote: “That’s a soldier’s privilege.

“We don’t get any women running out and kissing us.

“What women I’ve seen around here aren’t particularly breathtaking so I ain’t missing anything.”

It is not clear where the ship was based when he wrote the letter, although it was obviously abroad, given that the letter had been sent air mail. Wherever it was, there was lull in war activity.

He wrote: “I’m still having anything but a hard time and I’m enjoying myself.

“However, I suppose it won’t be long before we get cracking again.”

With three months until Christmas, Able Seaman Clarke was hoping that it would be his turn to enjoy Christmas with his wife and their families.

“If we aren’t home for Christmas, we shall be very disappointed. I’m sure we shall make it,” he said.

He signs off by sending his wife his fondest love, adding: “Keep your chin up, my love. We are going to have a swell time.”