Frederick Charles Lay became headmaster of an Oxford school where he was once a pupil.

He studied at the City of Oxford High School for Boys from 1908 to 1915, then became head in 1945, a post he held for 17 years.

He was a pupil at the school at the corner of George Street and New Inn Hall Street under a famous head called “Tubby Cave”.

“I never thought I should occupy his study,” he recalled years later.

After leaving school, he postponed his university career and signed up for war service with the Army. He served as an officer in the 1st/4th Battalion of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in the latter part of the First World War.

He was twice wounded during the Battle of the Somme, but returned to active service on both occasions after treatment.

After being demobbed, he studied chemistry at Jesus College, Oxford, and from 1923 to 1930, was senior science master at Liverpool College.

He served as headmaster of Wellingborough Grammar School for seven years before taking a similar post at Doncaster Grammar School. The lure of his native Oxford was always in his blood and he returned as head of his old school as the Second World War ended.

Mr Lay once joked that all his life, he had been “bumping up against bricks and mortar”.

At both Wellingborough and Doncaster, he presided over school building projects, and at Oxford High School, he wrestled with the problem of lack of space on its cramped city centre site.

During the 1950s, he constantly pointed out that the school had no gymnasium, dining hall, adequate laboratories and nearby sports fields.

One early suggestion was that the school should move to Marston Ferry Road in North Oxford, where pupils played sport.

After lengthy debate, it was decided the school should merge with Southfield Grammar School on the Southfield site off Glanville Road, East Oxford.

By the time the merger took place in 1966, Mr Lay had retired, but joined former pupils and staff for a last look around the old buildings.

He said at the time: “Something had to come, and I am pleased at this happy move.

“The High School was about as big as it could possibly get.

“The buildings at the new school will be very much better.”

He later supported a successful campaign to save the old school buildings from demolition.

Many tributes were paid to Mr Lay when he retired, including one in the school magazine, which said he had “given his heart and soul to the school” and “set an example of devotion and service which has been equalled by few and surpassed by none”.

He died in 1976, aged 78, and former pupils, staff and friends packed St Andrew’s Church in North Oxford for a service of thanksgiving in his memory.

* Any memories of Mr Lay and the High School to share with readers? Write and let me know.