Malcolm Surman’s proudest moment as a Grenadier Guardsman was to be a pallbearer at Sir Winston Churchill’s funeral.

He was seen by millions of television viewers carrying the coffin of the wartime leader into and out of St Paul’s Cathedral before it left London for burial at Bladon, near Woodstock.

He stumbled as he and his seven fellow Guardsmen descended the steep cathedral steps after the service, but without flinching, he quickly regained his balance and catastrophe was averted.

Speaking later, he said he had no idea why he, as a 20-year-old lance corporal, had been chosen for the bearer party.

He recalled: “Sixteen of us were told to report to the sergeant-major’s office and we all thought we had done something wrong. He lined us up and began eliminating people. Then he told the eight of us who were left that we would be carrying Sir Winston’s coffin.

“It was an unforgettable experience. I was very proud and honoured to be chosen.

“We carried the six-hundredweight coffin for hundreds of yards and slow-marched behind it for several more miles. I think how lucky I am to have taken part in such a memorable occasion.”

He and his fellow pallbearers were awarded British Empire Medals after the funeral.

With the help of a friend, he later started writing a book on his experiences, entitled The Day I Slipped. It was incomplete when he died in 1985 and his daughter Joanne, with help from one of her father’s fellow guardsman, has vowed to finish it.

Mr Surman, a talented swimmer in his younger days, grew up at the Harcourt Arms, Jericho, went to St Barnabas School and after a spell as a police cadet, joined the Grenadier Guards in 1962.

After three years as a Guardsman, he rejoined Oxford City Police. In 1966, after marrying pharmacist’s assistant Christine Day, he became the second youngest landlord in England when he took over the Bullingdon Arms in Cowley Road at the age of 21.

After a spell in insurance, he decided to return to the pub trade.

He met Tony Worth, assistant managing director of Morrells Brewery in Oxford, but was told there were no vacancies. Just as he was leaving the office, the phone rang and the landlord of The Lamb at Bladon said he was having to give up because of his wife’s ill health.

Mr Surman was called back and offered the tenancy of a pub just 200 yards from Churchill’s grave. Sadly, he was forced to give up after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

His widow Christine and their three children, James, Joanne and Richard, have been reflecting on the important role he played during the recent 50th anniversary commemoration of Churchill’s funeral.

Mrs Surman, of Wroslyn Road, Freeland, said: “We watched the four-hour film on TV and it brought back lots of memories.”

Another event the family will never forget came in 1982 when Mrs Surman and Joanne, then 13, joined a team on a 65-mile roller skating marathon from Marble Arch in London to the Shepherd’s Hall Inn at Freeland and raised more than £2,000 for multiple sclerosis research.