I can throw a little more light on Jess Faulkner, who appeared in the picture (far left) of the potato team at Oaklands Farm, near Stonesfield, in the mid-1960s (Memory Lane, January 5).

As Jessie Andrews, of Albert Street, St Ebbe's, Oxford, this lovely lady was one of the leaders of an organisation attached to St Ebbe's Church known as The Campaigners.

She, with my father and mother, the late Dorothy and Wilfred Rhymes, successfully ran The Campaigners in the early 1940s from Bridge Street School hall (long since demolished).

Most of those attending were from the rather deprived St Ebbe's area, but there were some great characters and there was good community spirit.

Jessie Andrews married Alf Faulkner and after living near Cumnor, they later settled in Charlbury.

The couple’s son, Paul Faulkner, was a detective constable with Thames Valley Police and played cricket for Charlbury Cricket Club. I recall when Alf Faulkner worked on New Barn Farm, near Hopcroft’s Holt, being invited to stay at their house on the farm in the summer and helping around the farm.

MICHAEL RHYMES
Kidlington

• Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.